Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fight and flight and 3 more "F"s

2 posters

Go down

fight and flight and 3 more "F"s Empty fight and flight and 3 more "F"s

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm

If you've read my book "How To Be Your Own Bodyguard" you'll know I covered the 3 "Fs" of Fight, Flight or Freeze." In it I mentioned that most people don't address the 3rd option which is freezing and I went on to explain what that is and why we do it.

Well, my belief windows are constantly changing and the research goes on and because of that I've come up with two more responses that need to be considered.

They are "fronting" and "folding." I'm going to cover them at length in my blog over the next couple of days so follow the links if you want to read about them and we can discuss them here. Hell, for all I know there may be more.
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

fight and flight and 3 more "F"s Empty Re: fight and flight and 3 more "F"s

Post  Average Dude Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:
They are "fronting" and "folding."  I'm going to cover them at length in my blog over the next couple of days so follow the links if you want to read about them and we can discuss them here.

Sounds promising!

Nick Hughes wrote: Hell, for all I know there may be more.

I would second that. As far, as I am concerned, I usually use the image of a line. At each end-point, you have one of the "extremes", being fight for aggressively taking on your adversary and flight for doing the exact opposite in running away. The middle of the line would be freezing for doing nothing at all. Here, for a better visualisation:

Flee----------Freeze----------Fight

(Nick, my apologies to you as a man of the fine arts for the lousy "sketch"   Embarassed)

There is enough room in between those pillars for more, the only question is, where to put it into this model. For example, the "fronter" should be more towards the fight end, maybe half between "freeze" end "fight" as he is actively approaching his opponent, though it is only for show, whereas the "folder" would be a little to the right of the "freeze", since he is also doing nothing but vusing it voluntarily as a tactic.

As for the list - here is one more:
Another type I would see is the guy who got somehow hung up in the process, showing (involuntarily) an idiot smile, babbles the same line like a broken record (classic example: relax, I don't want trouble) whilst walking backwards.
Average Dude
Average Dude

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down