Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Science:MMA

5 posters

Go down

Fight Science:MMA Empty Fight Science:MMA

Post  the spaniard Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 am

In this video you can see the physics for kinetic chain,leverage,why knockouts occur,choke effects,etc.
http://www.stage6.com/user/pats0/video/2144213/FS---MMA

the spaniard

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Fight Science:MMA Empty Re: Fight Science:MMA

Post  Line of Eld Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:30 am

The stuff about Randy's lactic acid levels is fascinating...
Line of Eld
Line of Eld

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:50 am

Should have measured the force of a Hook or Overhand as well.

The kick should not have been done on a straped in dummy , more like a hanging one like a heavy bag - more realistic.

And I would have liked to have seen the force of an armbar rather than just the choke.

Overall not bad.

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:36 am

I can' t seem to get this clip loaded but I have seen fight science before.
In the one I saw they compared fighting arts and which had the stronger punches and kicks etc. I didn't like the program and thought it was a load of crap to be honest. I thought the testing was flawed and that all it tested was the individual being used in that instance rather than the technique itself.

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:48 am

I think that ws a different FS , more TMA guys. It was terrible and cheesy , that had this ninja guy.

This one is all MMA .

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  JonLaw Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:09 pm

i agree that the first version of FS was worse, as you say Simon very cheesy, the TKD bloke made me shudder....

Despite the latest one being all MMA as you say, it still suffers from the flawed testing that Tommy mentions. I find it odd that given the high quality equipment used to collect data and the expertise on hand, the program makers don't bother to do a 'proper job'.

At best, in experimental terms, the data collected is only valid as a pilot study, it proves very little. OK Bas Rutten can cause 67mm of deflection with a round kick to the rib cage, impressive by all accounts but as Tommy says about the previous FS, it representative of an individual not necessarily of a technique as such.

It's interesting that Couture gets significantly more force into G 'n' P than regular punching, they put this down to him being able to drop his weight into the target. While this may be a factor, they fail to mention that the target is more 'fixed' than a stand-up target, which may have a bearing. This information is useful to the idividual but, given the flawed approach, is anecdotal rather than empirical.

JonLaw

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 am

I agree with you, Jon. It’s a flawed experiment, for many different reasons.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to take away the visual image of Bas Rutten hitting a dummy; I’d rather see him hitting a man. The idea that a crash test dummy sitting on a table is representative of an opponent in an MMA arena who is fighting back, is ridiculous. There seems to be some kind of implication that because Bas can cause three inches of depression in the dummy’s ribcage, that this is seen to validate MMA. All it validates is that Bas Rutten can hit a dummy really hard.

WE KNOW THAT BAS RUTTEN CAN HIT REALLY HARD. He’s a top fighter. Guess what? He can not only hit a dummy, he can hit another fighter who is trying to hit him back. The way it’s set up seems to be trying to support the idea that martial arts work in terms that the layman can understand; i.e., a car crash. There’s a lot of jargon and numbers being thrown around. Hitting with the same force as a car or a baseball bat...it’s all geek bullshit. It has nothing to do with the chaotic reality of a fight.

The explanation with regards to a punch of the ‘kinetic chain of power’—if you follow that example you’ll end up looking like a Power Ranger, and you’ll be about as effective.

OK guys, this to me is real geek shit. If you want to discuss this kind of stuff, take on the main forum or take it over to Karate Underground. They’ll love it over there.
steve morris
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum