Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision!

4 posters

Go down

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision! Empty De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision!

Post  WhatThe... Sun May 06, 2007 9:47 pm

Nick,

Did you catch the De La Hoya VS Mayweather fight yesterday?

I thought it was a beauty! But thought a draw would have been about right.

What did you and others think?

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision! Empty Re: De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision!

Post  Nick Hughes Mon May 07, 2007 8:59 am

Yes mate...I managed to see it.

I, along with the rest of the world, was hoping Oscar would win but alas, it was not to be.

Personally, I'd have given it to Oscar because I reward aggression, action and attempting to win way above most other qualities. If Oscar had played the other guy's game i.e. sit back and do bugger all, then the fight wouldn't have happened at all.

Unfortunately for Oscar I'm not the judge. Very Happy Interestingly enough, Mayweather's own father thought Oscar should have won it as well.

There's a danger in trying to knock the other guy out in a boxing ring (see my post about punching impact)...if you pull it off fine, but, if you don't, the other guy can wait while you tire yourself out and then move in on the last few rounds.

Oh well, at least there'll be a rematch and, I suspect Oscar will win that one now he's fought him and figured out his game (did you notice when Oscar was using his jab he was controlling Mayweather perfectly?)

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision! Empty The fight!

Post  WhatThe... Mon May 07, 2007 4:27 pm

True Nick, Oscar looked better when he jabbed his way in. He seemed to punch best in combos and when he jabbed the rest followed.

Interestingly, when interviewed immediately afterward and asked about his jab Oscar said "it just wasn’t that kind of fight". Hopefully in part II of what seems certain to be a trilogy he’ll jab a bit more and get the result.

WhatThe...

Back to top Go down

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision! Empty The wash-up.

Post  WhatThe... Tue May 15, 2007 8:29 pm

Nick,

Interestingly, in the wash-up of the De La Hoya vs. Mayweather fight, all the local guys (Oz) with boxing cred thought Oscar won it.

Barry “Boy” Michael, who you might remember from your time in Oz, has a radio boxing show and on it he couldn’t find anyone from the prominent local boxers who thought Mayweather had won. A few thought it was close but not one gave Mayweather the nod.

(Michael, from Melbourne, won the IBF version of the World Super Featherweight Title from Lester Ellis in 1985 - I was fortunate enough to be there. He was a veteran by that stage having started out back in the 1970’s)

WhatThe...

Back to top Go down

De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision! Empty Re: De La Hoyer VS Mayweather fight decision!

Post  Nick Hughes Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 pm

I think you'll find, no matter how unbiased they claim to be, the judges ruled the way they did on purpose.

Think about it...

Oscar is reaching the end of his career. He doesn't fight much anymore.

Mayweather on the other hand is in his prime and touting an undefeated record around.

That record will continue to draw huge crowds who want to see him finally get his comeuppance whereas, if you let Oscar pull back the curtain, and Mayweather's perfect record is not perfect anymore who are they coming to see? Oscar is gone, and Mayweather isn't invincible.

Do it the way the did it though and the money continues to role in.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pmatt Wed May 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:Yes mate...I managed to see it.

I, along with the rest of the world, was hoping Oscar would win but alas, it was not to be.

Personally, I'd have given it to Oscar because I reward aggression, action and attempting to win way above most other qualities. If Oscar had played the other guy's game i.e. sit back and do bugger all, then the fight wouldn't have happened at all.

Unfortunately for Oscar I'm not the judge. Very Happy Interestingly enough, Mayweather's own father thought Oscar should have won it as well.

There's a danger in trying to knock the other guy out in a boxing ring (see my post about punching impact)...if you pull it off fine, but, if you don't, the other guy can wait while you tire yourself out and then move in on the last few rounds.

Oh well, at least there'll be a rematch and, I suspect Oscar will win that one now he's fought him and figured out his game (did you notice when Oscar was using his jab he was controlling Mayweather perfectly?)

Nick

like ali VS foreman.

I didnt know there was going to be a rematch

pmatt

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Wed May 16, 2007 3:31 pm

Oscar is always robbed!
I love the guy he has fought everyone he had to NEVER ever ducked an opponent!
6 weight champion awesome!
Boxing is going to be a lot worse without him, after Julio Cesar Chavez DeLa Hoya is my favourite boxer!
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down