Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions From Simon Lau

4 posters

Go down

Questions From  Simon Lau Empty Questions From Simon Lau

Post  524526 Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:42 am

Hi Steve ,

Fabulous to see you here - reason I decided to sign up . How are you ? Hope you and family are well . Anyway I thought the topic might catch your eye .

My question Steve, is :

I know you always favour the short cyclonic punches but you have said that you use the ' big stuff ' too , I presume by that you mean the regular boxing arsenal.

Body mechanics wise how would switch from one to the other ?

Much Thanks.

Last edited by on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Questions From  Simon Lau Empty Re: Questions From Simon Lau

Post  Dave Turton Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:08 am

Hi Simon .. sorry to jump in on Steve's slot, but just to say nice to see you here .. we met several times in the 70's, but long time ago eh

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  samurai69 Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:01 am

SimonLau wrote:Hi Steve ,

Fabulous to see you here - reason I decided to sign up . How are you ? Hope you and family are well . Anyway I thought the topic might catch your eye .

My question Steve, is :

I know you always favour the short cyclonic punches but you have said that you use the ' big stuff ' too , I presume by that you mean the regular boxing arsenal.

Body mechanics wise how would switch from one to the other ?

Much Thanks.

sorry to but in here, but is that simon lau of wing chun fame (albany st)........i trained with you back in 80/81
samurai69
samurai69

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:45 am

OK guys ,

Sorry about this , I'm not the WC Simon Lau , he lives in UK whilst I am now in Malaysia.

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:46 pm

If you read the post I've just put here [url]https://selfprotection.forumotion.com/Expert-Q-A-Forums-c1/Q-A-with-Steve-Morris-f16/Training-with-Steve-Morris-t4325-30.htm
I think you'll find you get your answer. It's in there, and more.
steve morris
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 am

Thanks Steve.

Back to top Go down

Questions From  Simon Lau Empty Personality Types

Post  524526 Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:56 am

Hi Steve,

Like most people here I have tonnes of questions to ask you , so I thought I would just post them all in one topic.

You talked about all the various personality types that you come across in your considerable time training and fighting .

Can you elaborate on these personality types and what effect that has on their training and their fighting?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 am

I guess you're referring to my remarks that if you watch MMA you'll get an idea of the personality types and physical/stylistic types you might meet on the street. Unlike a doorman, if you're just a normal everyday martial artist, it's sometimes hard to determine what type of person you could be up against. So I said that simply to give you a way to get an understanding of the different types of violent guys you might run up against.

But the analysis of personalities, you talk of my experience of people within training, you don't categorize them, you just get a sense of them. And you learn to read people. It's a holistic thing with all your senses involved, writing about it would be like writing about what food tastes like. It's just not something I can do, and I don't really see the need for it.

Other than what I've said there about referencing these types of guys, there isn't anything I could say that would put you any further forward.

You can prepare with different guys in mind: Randy Couture, Chuck LIdell, Sakaraba, Fedor, Silva. You can have your training partner take on the role of that guy or you yourself take on that role, to explore possibilities or to learn to adapt easily to different stylistic types and situations.

That's the only reason I'm interested in personality types as a trainer; everything else is personal and not relevant for a forum.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Questions From  Simon Lau Empty Who would you fight ?

Post  524526 Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am

Steve ,

If you had to pick one top MMA fighter to fight in a cage match , who would you pick and what would your game plan be ?

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 am

Simon, I really don't want to engage you at this level. Or for that matter, anybody else who is into the 'what if' game. Your question is a little like, do I think I would have won if I'd have fought Bruce Lee or Tyson in his prime? Or what would I do if at one of my MMA courses, one of the guys pulled an axe out of his spandex trunks and attacked me whilst I was doing a takedown on somebody else? I'm really not into that stuff.

It's true that I watch and analyze fights of all kinds, and from my analysis of them I use that information to devise drills, conditional fighting methods, playfighting methods, scenarios and situations that I believe will be beneficial to a professional fighter or to somebody who simply needs to deal with the shit on the street. And it's true that I will draw on my experience and fights I've witnessed to inform this process. I will occasionally even use my imagination to create scenarios and situations that might occur.

But what I don't do is let my imagination run wild. And I suggest that you and anybody else should do the same.

--Steve
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 am

Hello Steve ,

Thank you for the reply.

I think somewhere along the way , lines may have got crossed on this one.

My question wasn't meant to be a " What would have happened if you fought Tyson " .

Rather , I thought it would have been interesting and beneficial to all here if we had a bit of an insight to how SM might approach fighting a top fighter like Crocop etc , in terms of the strategies, gameplan and stylistic modifications.

In this open ended way , you could be more free flowing than if I gave you a whole page of text to address. I try to keep my questions to the point, seeing as how busy you are .

By the way you don't have to re-answer the question , but I just thought I'd clarify what I said , as I don't want to sound like I am titillating information from you and wasting your time.

I know you want to target your information to pro - fighters and I do understand that , but in my country MMA is non existent, and I mean zero.

I had to train myself , make my own weapon as you say , and in the course of that I arrived at many of the same conclusions as you did, and this was before I knew of you . Since then of course your material has inspired and given me many short cuts. I then took my weapon and found a target for it - some local gyms of various styles and I did very well.

In continuing my quest , I will travel over 500 miles and at a cost to me , to Thailand this weekend to further test myself and to train . With a bit of luck , within the next few months I will fight pro either in MMA or MT.

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:42 am

OK, but that's a different question.

If we're not talking about me personally, and what I would do, then you'd have to ask me the question specifically how do I think a certain fighter (and you'd have to name one yourself) could be beaten? That's something concrete I can work with. It's not a 'what if'.

If you want to talk about that from the point of view of your own goals, then fire away. But bear in mind that there's a lot of stuff already posted on my Fighter's Notebook in particular on how you should go about identifying your opponent's strengths and weaknesses and coming up with a game plan, around which you design your training programme. It's all really simple.

And that's why, for those martial artists who are not in say a professional fight game, I suggest they prepare a program with a particular fighter in mind. And that's all in the Fighter's Notebook.

--Steve
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Steve ,

I'll have to think about both issues for a few days at least and come with something substantial that benefits all here and exercises your brain. I'm sure you don't want ill thought out time wasting questions.

The reason being is that nearly every MMA fighter of note has been beaten one way or the other and thus we have in part an answer there - " let the fight be our teacher " in you own words.

For my own goals , I'd also like to wait till I get back from Thailand , then I will have a much better idea of things - opponents , where I stack relative to them etc.

Thanks , take care.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down