Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

training equipment for striking power

+2
David Turton
David Butler
6 posters

Go down

training equipment for striking power Empty training equipment for striking power

Post  David Butler Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 pm

hi guys

what are your opions on using training aids like the vrt shadow boxer/ the burnmachine/ punching with hand weights and using ankle weights for knee strikes.

many thanks

David Butler

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-07-05

Back to top Go down

training equipment for striking power Empty Re: training equipment for striking power

Post  David Turton Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:36 pm

I dont like hand weights as they dont improve punching power, they are for stamina.

All 'progressive resistance' is based on gravity... weights want to go down and you keep them up.

therefore when you extend your arms/hands, the weights want to go to the FLOOR, you use (mainly anterior deltoids) your muscles to keep them UP.. whereas the resistance you actuall want is OUT

my firm belief is that the best exercises for punching is ... punching... heavy bags, focus mitts etc

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

training equipment for striking power Empty Re: training equipment for striking power

Post  David Butler Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:06 pm

thanks for the great answer Mr Turton. punching with weights was something i did in the first couple of years of training when i started with boxing. once i stopped using them and training more compound lifts and explosive movement is when inoticed the biggest improvement in my striking power. that and m.y body mechanics probably improved aswel.

thanks Dave

David Butler

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:52 pm

I've prefer hitting bags and pads. That being said I have used some resistance exercises for punching. I've either used resistance bands anchored behind my shoulder or I've done 1/4 Turkish Get-Ups where you drive from the floor to an extended position overhead (off arm up resting on the elbow) but no further...then back down and repeat. Both of those put the resistance pulling directly back against the punch.

jesse

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

I agree with Dave, with one exception...

When I train with weights for power, I lie down on a bench and punch up.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 am

rezbi wrote:

Which has a great carry over to punching with your back against a wall.

There are ways of training for power in the punch that include more of the actual muscle chains involved;cable machines,heavy TGUs', and resistance bands for example.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 am

Ade wrote:
rezbi wrote:

Which has a great carry over to punching with your back against a wall.

There are ways of training for power in the punch that include more of the actual muscle chains involved;cable machines,heavy TGUs', and resistance bands for example.

I put together a resistance band for this purpose. I doubled the black band which I put round my back and punch for power.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 am

Instead of having the band around your back,have you tried anchoring it to something (door handle,squat rack,etc) and punching with it that way? You will get much more involvement from the core and lower body this way,punches start naturally beginning at the foot.
You can also vary the resistance by moving nearer and further from the anchor point.

(this is much easier to demonstrate than to describe Smile )
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Ade wrote:Instead of having the band around your back,have you tried anchoring it to something (door handle,squat rack,etc) and punching with it that way? You will get much more involvement from the core and lower body this way,punches start naturally beginning at the foot.
You can also vary the resistance by moving nearer and further from the anchor point.

(this is much easier to demonstrate than to describe Smile )

I know what you mean. But I haven't got the facilities in my home for that.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 pm

I have done it outside around a tree. Just put something like a towel around the tree for padding to keep from scuffing up the band.

jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 am

jesse wrote:I have done it outside around a tree. Just put something like a towel around the tree for padding to keep from scuffing up the band.

No trees. Unless I want to go public.

And I don't fancy that.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm

True, we can't have that now can we.

jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 am

rezbi wrote:

Really? Do you have a friend that could hold the other end of the band?
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:04 am

Ade wrote:
rezbi wrote:

Really? Do you have a friend that could hold the other end of the band?

I moved to a new town a few years ago and, being a bit of a loner, don't really go out much.

I do have students, but when it comes to my own training, I prefer doing it alone.

Just me my heavy bag and a few other bits and pieces.

And know that may sound a bit sad, but it's the way I prefer it.

I've tried taking on training partners, but they don't last long because I tend to train quite hard.

And I'm very serious when it comes to my training. Most people round my way are a bit too casual.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave.cyco Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I see no mention of the Olympic C&J or push press. Both of these will develop awesome overall power that, while I admit is not punching specific, will certainly give you a huge power base which can then be refined with more sports specific drills like bag training and medball throws. And of course I mean doing the Oly lifts with low reps and heavy weight.

Dave.cyco

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down