Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Slap?

3 posters

Go down

Power Slap? Empty Power Slap?

Post  Joshu's Dog Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi Dave,

My name is Jonathan and I'm a slapaholic...
Laughing

Actually, I'm having a bit of trouble, or think I am, with the power slap you taught me. I'm hoping I can describe what I'm doing, and not doing, well enough that you can coach me through.

Essentially, I don't feel that I'm generating the kind of power that I'd like. \
I first learned the slap from Dave Briggs' video on IWTV. He starts hands high, and uses a double hip action, with the hand whipping like a stone on a rope (rather than using arm strength). I can do that and generate a lot of power.

What I took away from my session with you:

1. Drop the right hand (keep the left up in the fence)

2. Step past, as though walking past BG's R side.

3. As you step, 2ith the arm relaxed and the hand cupped (hand whipping like a stone on a rope), bring the hand up to slap.

I'm having a hard time generating power doing that.
I think I'm having difficulty "launching" my hand as I step.

What seems to be helping is starting to work on the movement without the step, using the same double hip power generation as before, "launching" the hand from the hip. When I do this, my hand takes a slight outward and upward arc, and lands with good power.
Is that the way the movement should work?

After a few of them I can "migrate" the movement and power to a walking version of the same.
Unfortunately I lose the power the next time I try it, but if I "go back to basic" focusing on the double hip, I can put it back into the walking version. Still, my goal is to have the walking version generate good power, first time and every time.

What am I missing or could I do to improve it? Or is this a reasonable approach? Help, Coach!

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Power Slap? Empty Re: Power Slap?

Post  mattyboy Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:35 pm

You Old Slapper!!!!
mattyboy
mattyboy

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:11 am

Hi Jonathan .. first apologies for taking so long in answering...
(I have had other posts on my plate.. Ha Ha)

Right I have read through what you have written several times to get the picture in my mind of you perforing the 'slap' and I feel you have done the same as many others trying 'my' version out for the first few times.

The fault from me is that because we had so little time when you were over that I tried to 'cram' in as much as I could, and maybe didnt get everything across as I should have done..
But that cant be cured now so lets see what I can suggest..

1. Everyone first of all who has done the 'other' style of power slap, which you said you learned from Dave Briggs, who I believe (not sure) learned it from Pete C/Geoff as Dave Briggs does it that way... so you are in fact doing two different versions, but looking at them or at least expecting them to be the same.... they are performed slightly differently to get different results .. so with having the 'Dave briggs' approach in your mind already you may be expecting something 'identical' when performing 'mine'...
So, dont just think POWER.. Pete C is an excellent example of transmitting power, and his slap does that through the HIP as you rightly describe.. his hand is more or less 'parallel' to the BG's shoulder on impact as it should be... Targetting is less important per se, as the amount of power transferred is enormous.... so first try and forget you can do the Pete C/Dave Briggs version whilst attempting 'mine' .. dont forget it altogether though.. its a great strike

2. Concentrate instead on PLACEMENT TARGETTING.. the idea when training on the heavy bag or focus pads is to ensure you get 'whip' not 'through power'.. so think of ensuring the cupped hand is landing more or less with the thum ON the ear lobe and the rest of the 'cup' on the neck area behind the point of the jaw.

3. Assuming a right hand strike, then on the step through your right shoulder should be almost pointing towards the target, coinciding with the left foot 'landing'. so you get a bit of frontal stance 'sink'.. that help the energy to transfer through the arm to the target..
everything else you describe seem spot on.. the main problem with this strike is in the practise, as we expect massive WHACKS like Pete C's type, but its slightly more placement and targetting focussed..

energy has to go through the compressed air in the 'cup' into the area just below and half an inch in from the very sensitive spot you will find if you press the place where the point on the jaw connects with the neck

essentially its origins were for smaller (as in both height and weight) people to get a KO on lerger ones..

so as I am quite short I found the lower elbow position best suited me, where as Pete being about 6ft 1ins or so can generate greater power..

Not a 'black and white' statement this , but as an idea of application.. lets say MY slap if he's bigger and taller and Dave Briggs slap if he the same or shorter

hope that helps a bit mate

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Bec Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 am

Dave/Johnathan,

I hope you dont mind me dropping in here but i have a small point that helped me with Dave's slap and is often overlooked.

When practicing on the focus pad, the surface of the pad does not equate to the shape of a face very well and often takes the sting out of the strike i.e. cupped hand, flat pad try landing the strike with your fingers just passing the edge of the pad, this allows you to keep the shape formed and also helps your targetting as you are no longer just hitting the pad.

It helps me, maybe it will help you.

Alan

Alan Bec

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:34 am

thats a good tip mate thanks

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks, Dave, and Alan.

First, thanks for clarifying that this is a *different* strike.

One question on point 3 -

then on the step through your right shoulder should be almost pointing towards the target, coinciding with the left foot 'landing'.

As I do it, I think you mean "on impact, your right shoulder should be almost pointing towards the target". That's what I get when I do it.

Is that accurate?

Heading over to train with a friend, will bring the focus mitts and try this out.

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:21 pm

yes mate .. shoulder to target as you say

nice one

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Just got back from training.

It's starting to come together. Big difference, big improvement. Very Happy
WooHOOOOO!! Very Happy Very Happy

nice one indeed! Thanks for the good coaching.

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down