Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Striking Practice

2 posters

Go down

Striking Practice Empty Striking Practice

Post  Baloo Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 am

Dave,

Hi again! Following on from the question about the heavy bag workout, I was also wondering about how to go about practising different strikes - palm heel strikes / slaps etc - and I have heard about maize bags / balls.

Can you explain the difference between a maize bag & a maize ball, and what each are used for, and how you would incorporate them into a training regime?

Cheers
Smile

Baloo

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Back to top Go down

Striking Practice Empty Re: Striking Practice

Post  Dave Turton Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:29 pm

the bags hang flat against a wall and you can strike them like a saddle bag.. the balls hang 'loose' .. both have their merits

other than a partner with focus mitts, you rarely need anything other than a good heavy bag....

for slpas I always start a couple of steps away, walk INTO teh bag, a bit to one side, as if you were going to walk past it, so walk to YOUR left as you slap with your RIGHT hand.. just do singles with the slaps

palm heel strikes ..again use the heavy bag but slightly 'tilt' your hand to the outsides.. usually strike slightly upwards.. do flurries of no more than four, then some singles

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down