Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BJJ & Lancashire wrestling

2 posters

Go down

BJJ & Lancashire wrestling Empty BJJ & Lancashire wrestling

Post  mike75 Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Dave, I've just started learning BJJ but also have the chance to train in Lancashire catch wrestling. Do you know what the main differences between the two are? And, as I'd like to become a well-rounded MMA fighter, would they complement each other well? Hope you can help

mike75

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

BJJ & Lancashire wrestling Empty Re: BJJ & Lancashire wrestling

Post  David Turton Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am

Hi Mate

you have chosen a couple of HARD systems there mate .. good luck with it.

BJJ is mainly a ground system, the stand up is there, but generally they want to get you on the floor very quickly and work from there.
Also BJJ can at times rely very heavily on the Gi or jacket.

Ctach has 100's of standing techniques as well as ground work, so in my own opinion is much superior there.
There is no jacket, so many of the holds are different ... 'hooking' as well as 'gripping' is predominant in Catch...

There are many more actual techniques in Catch than in BJJ, but if your main aim is MMA, then a great deal of Catch is not permitted even in MMA.

It was a minor problem I had a few years back when I taught a 'Catch style' seminar at Neil Hall's club .. everyone loved the techniques, but all said they didnt feel tthat many of them would be any good in MMA as they wouldnt be allowed.

personally and for 'the street' I prefer Catch .. and it is a great Art, but perhaps for MMA .. Thai and BJJ would give you a great basis

thanks for asking

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  mike75 Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks for your response Dave. I never knew that many 'catch' moves were banned in MMA. I plan to pick up some wrestling knowledge but will now mostly stick to learning 'no gi' BJJ. Cheers

mike75

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down