Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Techniques.

2 posters

Go down

New Techniques. Empty New Techniques.

Post  Ricardo Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi Dave,

As you have been practicing martial arts for the majority of your life, I just wondered if you ever see something new, in terms of a lock, hold, escape or strike (a strike probably less so) that you have never seen before that blows you away in terms of practicality. Perhaps to the extent where you would/do modify your syllabus?

Thanks & regards,
Richard

Ricardo

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

New Techniques. Empty Re: New Techniques.

Post  Dave Turton Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:10 pm

thats a very very good question mate.. and you may be surprised at the answer..

my 'modified' answer is a definite YES all the time..

the modifications are that although I dont believe here can possibly be many actual techniques that havent been used, seen or practised.. there are countless individual slants on those techniques that surprise me all the time..

I see this more as an instructor than I ever did as a trainee.. because in the early stages you HAVE to be fairly selfish.. you need to adapt them like a tailored suit to fit yourself.. so you dont worry TOO much about another class member two grades behind, 6 inches taller or shorter, 3 stones heavier or lighter.. you worry about YOU.

Then when you start to instruct you see countless ways of what should be the same technique being done differently.. and wonder why.. then it clicks that each individual not only WILL have their own personality stamped on it .. they SHOULD have their own personality stamped on it.

so often its not a totally NEW tehnique I see and think "HMM I LIKE THAT" its usually more of a "MMM I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT WAY OF DOING IT".. now that still excites me.

and I hope I would therefore look a bit deeper at what I do, and more importantly how I teach it

nice one mate

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricardo Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:48 am

Thanks Dave, thats really interesting. Its great to know that someone can train for a large amount of time and still see/find new ways of doing things.

Thanks,
Richard

Ricardo

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down