Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd

4 posters

Go down

review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd Empty review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd

Post  andre martin Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Guys got Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd. What a wealth of information this guy has to offer. Having worked the doors for 18 years now and been involved in the Close protection sector. I have to say that Mr. Turnbull's dvd has a lot to offer. You can tell that Chris has been there done it and got the t-shirt. I have seen a lot of material out there and I have to say Mr. Turnbull's dvd and the information it holds is second to none. Well done Chris. I have taken a review from Jamie O'Keefe site newbreed Books hope he don’t mind? To give you an insight to Chris and the dvd. I have to agree with what Jamie Says in his review.

Violent Intent
2 dvd set, running time 90 mins appox.
Violent intent review
by Jamie O'Keefe

This DVD features Chris Turnbull and Ritchie Grannon discussing, and exploring violent intent in street combat.

The quality of the film footage is pretty poor and is comparable to a 2nd generation VHS copy from years ago, however this is generously balanced out by the subject matter and related areas covered on the DVD.
In this day and age there is no real excuse for any filming to be done in such low lighting conditions, but to be honest; you should be getting this DVD for its educational advice alone. I have watched it a few times now since being given a copy by Chris Turnbull to review, and found it to be interesting and watchable from start to finish.
The chemistry of Chris and Ritchie works well and they compliment each other. Ritchie Grannon has a very articulate way of explaining things and appears to be the academic ingredient in this combo, whilst Chris Turnbull oozes an aura of street, bouncer, and someone who can have a right tear-up.
There is also a lot of wit and humour between the pair and it would be good to see more releases from these two guys. They work well together.
They both made good sense and recorded the whole DVD in one continuous flow with no breaks. That takes good underpinning knowledge of their own respective arts.

The only issue I would challenge would be the reference made by Ritchie on part 2 was that, ten years ago in 1997/8 there was no Reality Based Self Defence in the UK and that Geoff Thompson was only beginning then. This is incorrect.
I had released my first book 'dogs don’t know kung fu' in 1996, 12 years ago and had been promoting RBSD years before that. In fact my full time Self Protection Academy was set up in East London, Walthamstow in 1987 which was featured in the UK martial Arts magazines the same year. So, although Ritchie got that one very wrong. It shouldn’t take anything away from the other information given on the DVD. The NLP references are a little misplaced on a DVD that’s intended to be clutter free and to stop you from engaging your brain in wasted thought. Their is a time and place to talk about your frontal lobes and using linguistic terms, but to then go on to use jargon to explain what you should be doing, is contradictory, i.e. judicial application of thuggery, neurology. It would have been nice to see more input from Chris on DVD1 as the first 20 minutes were totally dominated by Ritchie. Although it was all good and relevant information from him, I feel that shared time would have been fairer and would get the flow of the theme working much earlier, resulting in even more good stuff from both these guys. However it’s interesting, informative and the pair of them have done well to bring something out that can still captivate my interest after being in the game for 30 years now.
Here are some of the areas covered in part 1 & 2 of the violent intent release.

Respects

Andre

andre martin

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Back to top Go down

review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd Empty Re: review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd

Post  Monty Sneddon Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:05 am

Deleted by me.
Monty Sneddon
Monty Sneddon

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd Empty Re: review of Chris Turnbull's violent intent dvd

Post  si5 Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 am

Is this a wind up?
Sounds like a pop at Richard?!
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Jones Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 am

just heard this is on, why would it be a pop at richard?

Chris Jones

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Jones Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 am

just noticed that full review missing so ill put it up below, as anyone can see it is most definately not one sided and as stated is all relevant.
DESPITE RICHARD GRANNON AND MYSELF GOING OUR SEPERATE WAYS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO MAKE CLEAR AS I DO ON THE DVD THAT RICHARD FILMED THIS DVD AND EDITED THE ORIGINAL COPIES.
I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS SIDE OF THINGS, BUT AS RICHARD AND MYSELF HAD AGREED BEFORE/DURING AND AFTER THE DVD MASTERS WERE GIVEN TO ME TO "DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH THEM" WITH REGARDS SELLING AND MARKETING SO LETS ALL NPLEASE BE CLEAR ON THIS.
anyhow here is the rest of the review:

Part 1
Is it best to use the fist or palm in combat.
Dealing with someone you’re really scared of.
How to use violent intent.
How to get some violence and intent into your attacks.
Generating an emotional state of emotions in combat.
Core skills.
Fighting other trained fighters.
What does 'fight' mean.
Getting good at hitting people.
Using inanimate objects in fighting.
Hammerfists - yes or no.
The debate on stances in fighting.
Kicking and stamping on people.
How street thugs react to being hit.
Biting and headbutts in combat.
Grappling in the street
Fingers in eyes.
Looking at Silat in combat.
Taking the fight out of someone.
Is it better to hit off the front or rear hand.
Gaining extra reach in combat.
How noise affects you in combat.
Using mental focus to gain aggression.
Advice on how to train to think like a fighter, thug, doorman.
Deception in combat.
Jeet kune do in self protection.
Drilling individual techniques.
Transferring bodybuilding mind - muscle connection into your training.
Boxing versus martial arts.
Using dead legs.
Analysing your current abilities.

Part 2
Keeping techniques to a minimum by using violent intent.
The debate on wearing a martial arts uniform (Gi) or not within your training.
The visualisation to employ when about to have a fight.
Are kicks valid in combat or are they sacrificial - real examples given.
Would it be worse to fight a high level black belt or an un-graded street fighter.
Fingers of death discussed.
Real fight stories from both guys with some interesting outcomes.
Dealing with pain tolerance in combat.
Taking someone to the ground to remove them from their comfort zone.
How some Wing Chun fighter are able to rip most people apart.
What art do Russian doormen train in - its not the obvious choice.
Being scared of individuals and not techniques.
Type of gangs and individuals that will destroy you, the police and anyone who gets in their way.
Firearms debate and guns in the UK.
Bystanders getting involved in violence.
Real doormen and their confrontations discussed.
Should you look good when fighting.
Brief conclusion and insight into the secrets of SAS fighting and what works for them.
The fence and its improvisation in unexpected situations.
Looking at different mindsets such as the Vietnamese, street fighters, SAS, and fighting on after being stabbed or seriously hurt.
The false sense of security and confrontation ability of SIA doorstaff with no other personal protection skills.
and more .......

So whatever fighting art or system you are into, there are sections of this DVD that will be relevant to you.

I would just like to add a bit for all you keyboard warriors that like to get on forums to do your fighting, bitching and back-biting. I was asked to give an honest review of the DVD, warts and all. This I have done and has taken about 4 hours of my time to do so. So any references made towards Ritchie Grannon are not personal comments or digs at him, as I don’t know Ritchie and have never even heard of him until I received this DVD.

Any comments made about Richie are in context and relevant to the content of the DVD. So if anyone has issue with this….Tough!

Jamie O’Keefe
www.jamieokeefe.com

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Whoa!
I just thought that cos Andre had done the original posting that it might be a bit of a dig!

Must have misread it Rolling Eyes
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:09 pm

And the full review would have been nice in the first place! Neutral
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Jones Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:13 pm

eh yes well now you have the full review a short time after the "part" review. so lets see some comments guys, good or bad. all in all im chuffed to bits actually.
lots of views not many comments....

Chris Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down