Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..."

4 posters

Go down

Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..." Empty Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..."

Post  Baggio Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:44 am

Hey y’all,

I’ve just returned from Southampton after some training with Lee Morrison (which was excellent btw). While I was over there I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of his latest book - "Street-safe".

When I originally heard that Lee Morrison was going to be releasing “Street-Safe", I immediately checked it out on the Urban Combatives website. I read the preview, and was dying to get my mitts on a copy. When I did, I wasn’t disappointed. This book is definitely not just another collection of random techniques.

All the information is top class - it's not just another book that has been padded out with info you just don't need or want. The topics covered are extensive and numerous, so I can only really scratch the surface with this small review, but it will hopefully provide you guys with a brief insight into Lee's latest work.

This is one hefty tome and it consists of over 210 pages crammed full of state of the art Combatives and self-protection information. Like Lee's previous books, it's well thought out, easy to follow, and contains some great photos - so the concepts and information are easy to follow and absorb. I liked that the photos were made to look as "Combative" as possible. In other words, they captured the mindset one should be trying to model - just have a look at the photo of the girl biting the nose of her ‘attacker’.

Some people might assume there’s no point in getting this book if you have the latest Urban Combatives manuals; on the contrary, this book goes further than the manuals previously have, with many new concepts added.

Many modern instructors still sadly overlook the “soft skills, and in this book Lee stresses their importance, and goes into them in great detail. Street-safe provides a detailed analysis and insight into the ever-changing face of modern violence. It does not center on just one or two concepts either - it addresses the many facets of today's violent society: yob culture, domestic violence, street robbery, road rage, car jacking, and even attempted abduction. In this tome Lee points out that society is ever changing and so is the face of violence, so we must alter our game-plan to stay ahead of the gratuitous street attacker, or career criminal (it even looks at the aspects of modern terrorism).

As for the physical side of this book, Lee has put together a very solid core of "tried and tested techniques". There is no "fluff" or superfluous information. Discussed are subjects such as target and tools, basic strikes, combative principles, combination attacks, neck restraints, ground fighting, and secondary tools (gouging, biting, etc). Lee also talks about the best tools to use for improvised weapons, and also stresses that they should become part of our "habitual game plan" (accessibility, etc).

Having all the best techniques in the world won’t help you unless you are prepared to use them and follow through, and Lee places particular importance on developing ones "mindset" (or vehemence); without it, no game plan will be successful. Described in the book are several ways to develop this vital skill - from Vehemence drills to NLP visualization, as well as various other methods of "accessing state".

So, in summary, I'd advise anyone to grab a copy - whether you’re just a beginner wanting "some street smarts" or the next self-protection guru. There is more than enough information to keep you going for a long long time.

Hope it helps,

Rob.

Baggio

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..." Empty Re: Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..."

Post  paul scothern Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:20 am

paul scothern

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Back to top Go down

Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..." Empty Only one problem

Post  soejames Mon May 07, 2007 10:30 am

what happens when the police arrest both parties, and if he's a neighbour your having problems with, what then.

also if the police know you train in selfprotection, they will screw you over.

Sad
soejames
soejames

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-01-02

Back to top Go down

Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..." Empty Re: Quick review of Lee's new book "Street-safe..."

Post  Sean M Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 am

Yep, the police just love screwing self protection folks over. Its what keeps them going on long dark nights. Rolling Eyes

"What shall we do tonight sarge?"

" Lets look for some SP types and screw em over team!"

Bastards!

But in answer to what happens then, you will both be interviewed , witnesses will be spoken to etc , and if there is sufficient evidence either party has committed an offence they will be dealt with accordingly - especially SP experts.

Did you commit an offence?
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean M Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 am

Another of my double posts.
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down