Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody Brian LOL

+6
Rob Mac
BN
roadkill
Dennis Jones
melvinfferd
Nick Hughes
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bloody Brian LOL Empty Bloody Brian LOL

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Sigh...

Here we go again. No, in all seriousness I think I've finally figured out what we're at odds about (and I'm referring to your comment on Steve's site about my pointing out what clearly is traditional martial arts working as it was designed to)

When I'm referring to traditional martial arts working I'm referring to their techniques. In other words I've knocked people out with reverse punches, palm heels, hammerfists, knife hand strikes, web hands, elbows, slaps, headbutts, groin kicks, front kicks, side kicks, roundhouse kicks, spinning back kicks, jumping kicks, footsweeps, hook kicks et al.

To say those techniques don't work is asinine. I've dropped people with, as have many others we are aware of who's names we mention on here all the time.

What I'm assuming you're referring to is (what you think is) the traditional method of training that I refer to as McDojos. I.e. no contact, no focus, no intent, no understanding of what it takes to make the techniques work in the street, no mind-set training, no study of tactics etc.

If that IS what you're talking about I agree with you. affraid and I always have. I've walked out of dojos in disgust having seen people take breaks for drinks of water, stop when they're winded, get pampered when they get hurt and, in one I even saw them lie down and take a nap halfway through training ( I kid you not)

That is not proper martial arts training though. Just because some people say it is, and just because you got suckered into it and were told it is, doesn't make it so. The real stuff has all the missing elements I addressed above included...BIG TIME

Imagine if you went to a shooting school and you were taught by a marksman and he trained you to just miss the targets every time (because hitting them is too dangerous by crikey). With some exotic weapons that he didn't really know he made up how they worked and had you holding them backwards. You then get in a shoot out and instead of blaming the method in which you were trained you blame the guns???

I on the other hand, and the others I know of who make their stuff work effectively, went to a school run by a veteran of several wars who taught us combat shooting and tactics etc. We get in shootouts and we prevail, again, and again, and again.

Then we run into you who swears black and blue that guns don't work. Mate, guns work fine. (Real) traditional martial arts works just fine. If you don't think so please pick the specific technique you don't think works and let me know. I'll bet I, Gary Spiers, Bryson, Gavin, Terry O'Neill, Bob Jones, Mal and all the others I've worked with over the years have dropped someone with it.

As for that clip not being traditional martial arts...oh really, again, please point out the technique you saw that wasn't traditional. I saw reverse punches, front kicks, elbows, jabs, roundhouse kicks, side kicks, spinning back kicks, kakato geris, headbutts, throws, sweeps et al. Find the specific minute in the clip and please direct my attention to it and I'll go look.
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Bloody Brian LOL Empty Re: Bloody Brian LOL

Post  melvinfferd Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:32 pm

nick,

when did techniques alone validate an art?

if ive never stepped into a dojo in my life, never worn a gi before, never learnt or performed a kata ... but have trained in a combative sport such as boxing or muay thai and choose to enter the annual daido tourny (and then wore a gi because the rules say i must) and win, would i be a traditional martial artist? or at least would my performance be that of traditional techniques?

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Mate,

The techniques ARE the bloody art. What differentiates Judo from Karate and Goju from Shotokan if not the techniques?

Are you going to say that if you put a gi on Tyson we couldn't tell his art was boxing???

You my friend have been eating too much tempura and drinking too much sake...time to come home Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  melvinfferd Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:11 am

Nick Hughes wrote:You my friend have been eating too much tempura and drinking too much sake...time to come home Very Happy

lol! that caused my co-workers to ask if i was ok

Nick Hughes wrote:The techniques ARE the bloody art.

i would agree that techniques partially define an art. but whats far more important to me is how those techniques are trained. there are 1000s of clubs around the world that teach practically the same techniques but isnt it the style of training that separates the crap clubs from the worthwhile?

Nick Hughes wrote:Are you going to say that if you put a gi on Tyson we couldn't tell his art was boxing???

well i hope i could but im not sure about those looking to justify their art.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:14 am

Sure it's the style of training that separates them...to a degree. That's what I said in my piece to Brian - both clubs are using guns but one is training them the right way and the other isn't.

I can still tell what type of gun it is though by looking at it.

Everything I saw in those clips was traditional technique as I learned it..I didn't see any boxing or collegiate wrestling or FMA or Wing Chun.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:30 am

Nick,

Not got much time at the moment, but I will get back to ya.

But you are way off base. For example, where have I ever said that the various techniques you mention don't work?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennis Jones Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:18 am

Post edited.

Last edited by Dennis Jones on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Jones

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 am

brian,
what is your history in the real world, what do you do as a job, what is your experience of real violence, if you have had any, ow did you deal with it and what was the outcome, it seems to me that you have a problem with nick, as with the thread on andre, you seem to want to find argument with anyone that doesnt agree with you, and what was wrong with geoffs site and how it was run, many thanks, mick.

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Bloody Brian LOL Popcorneater Here we go again...
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 pm

lol!
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:23 pm

mick s wrote:brian,
what is your history in the real world, what do you do as a job, what is your experience of real violence, if you have had any, ow did you deal with it and what was the outcome, it seems to me that you have a problem with nick, as with the thread on andre, you seem to want to find argument with anyone that doesnt agree with you, and what was wrong with geoffs site and how it was run, many thanks, mick.

Noooo! Not another "positive" person having a dig! How long will this last before you bow out and claim that nasty old Brian started it all? Sad

On a serious note, if my old mate Nick and I want to lovingly (in a brotherley way!) bitch at each other a bit, on a section of a site that he kindly hosted at my invitation, on a site that I help run....... then we will. You can join in too, but make it relevant to the topic at hand. Either that or go down to that pub you mentioned.

This is the second little dig you've made at my expense. You don't get any more before I dig back. It may be best if you take a deep breath and have a think before you blabber on any more because, as it is, you clearly have no knowledge of me, what I do at the present, and what I have done in the past. Rolling Eyes

Nick, I've just snatched a few moments to take a quick peek. Full response coming later!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes Matron...I'll be here Very Happy

Nick

PS: As for Mick S... Bri, I think he's asking a legit question. By the number of posts he hasn't been on here long. He's witnessed you up to your usual antics and wants to know who you are.

Not everyone who comes on here knows you run the forum, who you are or what you do to be fair. On our Q&A sections we all have stickies mentioning our backgrounds but you don't so it might be a tad ingenuous to rip into someone asking a question. (Yes, perhaps he should spend some time on the search feature but there's a lot of pages to go through to find any mention of the questions he asked about you so sometimes it's easier just to ask.

In other words, I didn't read anything maliscous in it and it's not entirely different to what Steve is asking on his thread about posting vids i.e. can we please see who we're dealing with.
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 am

brian,
im sorry you took it that way, but i certainly didnt take a dig at your expense, i asked you by name a number of questions about your history,so i could understand where you are coming from.
i have no need to sit back and take a deep breath, before i babble on again as you put it, i am quite comfortable with the question i asked and how i asked it,
many thanks, mick.

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:09 am

I don't want to highjack the thread, so don't worry I'll be brief. I'd just like to add a few things I have come to know about Brian since joining the GT forum years ago.

He's a nasty crabby old man with a wooden leg, and a patch over his left eye. He claims to have been a pirate off the coast of Jamaica. Forum members are divided on whether to believe this or not.

He drinks at least three bottles of whiskey at lunch and always keeps a brace of pistols in his belt. He is notorious for duelling with his enemies, and for his skill with the rapier.

He lives in a shack made of gingerbread, and only eats things he has killed himself.

He refuses to walk anywhere. Instead, he secures a skateboard to each foot and glides along. He says it is a more "nautical" way to travel.

Hope this has given some insight.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:53 am

mick s

Search my posts. There was a guy quite recently who made all kinds of asumptions about me and my history. He then had to eat his words when I told him the facts.

Though most regulars here know my professional background, unlike Nick (ha ha) I don't often talk too much about my past exploits. War stories and all that.

It does seem important to you. All the info is in these pages. Do some homework. You could even write my biography.

Guys.... I have a fan.

edited to add

you seem to want to find argument with anyone that doesnt agree with you

No dig there. Personally I get more information from disagreeing with people that I disagree with, rather than disagreeing with those that I agree with.

I don't mind peopole taking a pop. They're all fish in a barrell to me, and they soon limp off to lick their wounds. But I don't think that many of the regulars here enjoy reading it too often, so keep it relevant to the topic. Argue the points.... exchange views about the systems and training methods..... But if you want to merely dig? Well, get back to that pub you spoke of.

Last edited by on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:57 am

BN, I'm not sure whether to believe all of that. I heard that he lives in one of the caves in Chedder Gorge and is really more of a highwayman than a pirate, robbing the tourists who frequent this part of the world, and living mostly off of stolen flasks of tea and marmalade sandwiches. The patch and the skateboard are however accurate. pirat
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 am

I'm clumsy enough on two legs.

On a skateboard? I'd be a danger to the general public!

Ha Harrrrgggh Ha Harrrrgggh, Jim Ladddddd etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Rob,

The highwayman myth came about when he was in a tavern with a young lady friend, and she innocently asked him why everyone kept referring to him as "Dick." To avoid losing face, he said, "Oh..ha ha , everyone calls me that because I'm like the new Dick Turpin."

The tea and marmalade sandwiches thing is true, as you rightly pointed out. Although he barbecues the tea.

He also once tried to "out-tall" Nick Hughes. He was drunk and did it on a dare.

As an aside, if anyone wants an accurate picture of Brian's appearance,behavour, and life style, watch the film 300. Brian's appearance, behaviour and lifestyle are exactly like the God-King Xerxes in every detail. He often says, "But I am a generous God..."
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Didn't he rob the lupin express once and run up against Steve Babbs?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:31 pm

who is steve babbs? His name cropped up last week at training. Is he a pirate.(I have a feeling I've asked a leading question)
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennis Jones Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Post edited.

Last edited by Dennis Jones on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Jones

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  arsenalgunna Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 am

if you are referring to me as the one "eating my words" about what you've done think again boss.

arsenalgunna

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Gappy Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 am

Hi Dennis - you're up late/early?

Steve Babbs was a lau gar stylist as I remember, and yes, very popular in the mid 70's 'kick-boxing' era. My twopenceworth: they would both have won under their own rules Smile

regards

Paul

...after his trip on the slow boat to China I think he's now playing pantomime somewhere.
Gappy
Gappy

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:47 am

Been kick boxing for years, never heard of him Embarassed
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:59 am

arsenalgunna wrote:if you are referring to me as the one "eating my words" about what you've done think again boss.

I was.

I've thought again.

I still am.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next