Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quite a tricky question!

5 posters

Go down

quite a tricky question! Empty quite a tricky question!

Post  si5 Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 pm

ok tricky to explain but here goes!

What is the best defence/action to take if somone rushes you, head down into your stomach and runs you backwards?
its happened to me a couple of times (usually during a messy fight when i havent managed to ko them!) and i ended up crashing into a table and then somehow landed on floor and had to fight from the guard (not too clever in a pub!)

I didnt have time to side step (dont tink you ever would really!)
and didnt have time to sprawl!!!

so im just wondering how to regain the advantage?
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

quite a tricky question! Empty Re: quite a tricky question!

Post  Dave Turton Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:07 am

Yes it IS a tricky question mate and one I have studied for quite a while.
Its one of those situations that have many answers that all work well both in theory and in training. Then they are shit when its for real.

There are three possibles as far as I can see.

One is to change your combat postures so you are less 'face on' to the opponent anyway.. by using the M.H.M. Principle (move hit move).. you will present yourself as less of an opportunity for his 'charge' anyway.
Two is to wrap your arms around him and BITE his back very hard.. can slow him down or even get him to stop/release.
Three is to accept that you are going down,so YOU decide when and where. By this I mean drag him and yourself to the floor and continue from there.

an excellent question and great to see people asking about what we term "Adverse Situations"

get training partners to simulate this move and try various possibilities and ask your partners which one/s they felt put them at their greatest disadvantage.

The time to try the moves out are in training not hope for something to come to mind when it happens.

I have tried the sprawl and supplex idea myself in training.. no faith in it

good question mate

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:10 am

top answer thanks dave!!!

I seem to end up in that position when i have failed my first shot! if im being honest its cos i throw my right hand in temper and probably telegraph it (a bit!)
then they have an oppurtunity to duck and rush me! if they just stand there i would use one of your 'torque takedowns' but the buggers usually run me backwards! (sounds like this happens to me a lot-its only a couple of times honest!).

you given me some good advice cheers!
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  imaninjaII Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:14 am

Dave

How do you feel about dropping an elbow onto the spine/back of neck in this situation.
imaninjaII
imaninjaII

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:51 am

thats one of those that is a 50/50 thing.. works great in training, but to give any 'shot' a chance you need a strong base

"You can't shoot a cannon from a canoe"

the problem being that if you are moving backwards with any degree of force then 'setting' your feet for a good elbow isnt easy.
IF however you can and you do its a good shot.

We have tried it in training and when the pressure really gets on, the elbow strikes become less effective

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:20 am

My personal favourites are palm-push using his head as hinge. At the side you can knee or uppercut his head.

Or double slap his ears grab the bottom and pull it counter-clockwise in the direction of his face. I've done this for real and both ears were halfway off!!!

Train this one carefully...

Cheers
Julian
Julian
Julian

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:12 am

A good guy oesn't shoot in when you're ready for it. He bangs you in the gob first or, at the very least, draws your attention nice and high.

That's what naffs me off a little about a certain well known Chinese Kung Fu art that I am not mentioning..... They "defend" against crap takedowns and call it takedown defence.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:14 am

That's a pretty generic issue Brian, goes to the heart of "alive" and "dead pattern" training.

Not a unique CMA fault by any stretch of the imagination!
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:32 am

re: brian s

I didnt mention a trained fighter (i consider myself to be 'trained' and i still got put on my arse!)
fact is it hapened to me and im sure to many others!
even a trained fighter will NEVER be able to pull of a favourite tehnique 100% of the time.
Ive seen it and done it myself where ive flinched and covered up and the held on to an opponent rather than just 'smack him in the gob' Neutral
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:43 am

I guess the word "comitted" can also be used. Like Dave said, the more the ante was upped, the less effective it became.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down