Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

+6
Wayne Harrison
Jagunco
tonyk
GOVINDA
Socrates
FASD
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system Empty I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

Post  FASD Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi all,

I request your input.

I have a system that I use to train myself (and others) in 'self defense'. It is made up of gathered knowledge from an abundance of sources, and some of it I made up.

It has been compiled it in the form of a training manual. I KNOW IT IS FLAWED. I also understand that it will never be perfect, and opinions/schools of thought differ.

So what I would like to do is post this training manual on this forum, so that the wealth of knowledge here can help me in making it better. Perhaps a chapter every other day. I would like feedback on all aspects. For example (but not limited to)

- Different schools of thought on theories
- Improvement of technical descriptions
- If you think that something just flat out is not right (preferably accompanied by how to improve it/what is right)
- If you think something is good but you have an improvement
- Gramatical errors (US English)
- Anything you think I should add or remove

etc, etc

Basically any constructive information you have.

I will then use the information I feel valid to re-write the manual (Ill post the revisions).

The Aim Of The Training Manual

The system has not been created in the mind of replacing formal training or established 'styles'.

Rather, the aim is for the participant to be able to learn the basis of fighting techniques in a short time, and then, if he/she wishes, can continue to train himself and his loved ones. It is hoped that from these base techniques that he/she will be able to adapt and apply the principles to other situations.

**MODS**
If you do not want me to do this let me know.

If it is ok, can you suggest a single place where I can post these chapters. It covers a fairlry wide range of subjects and I think it would be better if they where all in one place rather than all over the forum.

Thanks
FASD
FASD

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-13

http://firstactionselfdefense.net

Back to top Go down

I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system Empty Re: I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

Post  Socrates Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:37 am

Out of interest, how have you tested your system?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system Empty Re: I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

Post  GOVINDA Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 am

Basically mate unless you want slagged off you have to show that your system will work in a street scenario, have at least 20 years experience of SD or similar, or be an accomplished street fighter, or be accomplished in MMA, Thai, Boxing or similar for anyone over 16 to listen to you. (in an ideal world)

This is a rule of thumb mate and as you will see there are lots of dudes out there who seem to have trained in the Helen Keller school of M'Arts, also be careful what forums you go on as some are very critical and not as nice as us here Laughing

So, unless I see you getting hammered on the street and surviving, or giving felony fights a go, or doing the door somewhere crazy for a few years I won't be interested...but that's just my opinion mate, if you feel you have something go for it and good luck Wink

GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:39 am

If it is ok, can you suggest a single place where I can post these chapters. It covers a fairlry wide range of subjects and I think it would be better if they where all in one place rather than all over the forum.

You could post it on Scribd as a pdf file or on Lulu as a free download.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 am

Socrates wrote:Out of interest, how have you tested your system?

Well, thats the problem I have. Other than a few street encounters and controlled sparring I havent really a way to test it (I am not going to go out and start fights)..

This is why I wish to get the knowledge from others.

... I know im probably going to cop some slack for this answer.

Govinda:
Thanks for your honesty. I dont mind getting slagged off. If i learn a think or 2 then its worth it.

The fact is, I could just abandon the whole project, but im pretty stuborn and like to finish things that Ive started.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:

Well, thats the problem I have. Other than a few street encounters and controlled sparring I havent really a way to test it (I am not going to go out and start fights)..

Govinda:
Thanks for your honesty. I dont mind getting slagged off. If i learn a think or 2 then its worth it.

The fact is, I could just abandon the whole project, but im pretty stuborn and like to finish things that Ive started.

Its imperative that you test it mate, in what way is up to you.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 am

Well, you may or may not have figured that this isnt the only forum I post on.. and it seems that I've managed to piss some people off with my ideas (not-intentional)

I don't want to do the same here... so I am going to abandon this project on this forum
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 am

I don't think you have pissed anyone off.Just hang around and don't worry if people don't always agree with you.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:

Govinda:

Mate.

Kudos for being honest and asking for advice. If I were you, I would look for a self-defence instructor with lots of real-world experience and train with them as often as possible for a decade or two. Put in the hours and see if they will eventually certify you as an instructor. In the meantime, continue to run a small training group and test things out in an informal setting.

What I WOULDN'T do is to publish a book or try to set yourself up as a big self-defence expert before you have earned the respect of others in the same field...
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 am

tonyk wrote: don't worry if people don't always agree with you.

I dont.. i think thats the problem.. to the point where I think i've been banned from one of them..

Im still going to hang around, but just not post anything too contradictory to the general school of thought
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 am

Socrates hit the nail on the head above mate, good post ! also I wouldn't worry about dudes on other forums, no one sees eye to eye all the time but also you can tell when some guys take themselves to seriously, I've been a naughty boy in the past on certain forums and pissed a few people off but I felt it was my duty at that time Laughing , some dudes are lacking in IQ when they profess to be "full of it" good luck with whatever you do man.... Wink
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Testing stuff isn't that out there to be honest mate. You don't have to trawl about looking for a scrap to know if something works.

The major tick boxes are is it easy and can you do it when the shit hits the fan as in...

when a man is running at you or at a difficuly distance

can you do them quickly when surprised

can you do it before his three mates join in...

Most of all I think the lesson that 98% of self defence is not fighting but awareness and avoidance is well worth looking into for you good self... don't start with the fisty cuffs mate start there
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:Well, you may or may not have figured that this isnt the only forum I post on.. and it seems that I've managed to piss some people off with my ideas (not-intentional)

I don't want to do the same here... so I am going to abandon this project on this forum

I doubt you've pissed of anyone on this forum mate. It's one of the most decent i've been on. Though what Govinda says is right, be wary of what forums you go on. I've a background in crime, with a 13 year criminal record that includes people almost losing body parts in gang knife attacks. Being shot at, interrogated and attempted abduction, all by terrorists, and received 13 death threats. Even with that, i was lambasted in a forum, calling me a liar. And dising my system, when they saw a youtube clip of one 16 year old girl, and a boy with learning difficulties being shown a technique for the first time, at 20+ hrs, in a 40 hr course. The forum owner, waged his house i was a liar bout my past. so when i offered to show my criminal record (multiple armed robberies and serious assaults, etc) a day or two later i was ejected from the forum. Interestingly, i did find out that one of the main people against me from ireland deleted his posts against me. once i returned to ireland. likely coincidence my return, but i'm guessing that he prob found out law enforcement my background. The forum is no longer openly available so i dont know what crap they say bout me know.

One two other forums didnt even give me a chance to post before i was banned. That my be to do with the law enforcement that go on, and not wanting someone with my past to see what is wrote. THAT i respect, even though i am pro-cop and reformed. The crap that wishes to harm other folks credibility when they are simply trying i dont like.

i only go on this forum. any critique will be genuine, and be honest experience.

One thing i do suggest, and you might get respect for this, is to label and market it accurately. If you stick to the truth it will show to folks who have no agenda.

Govinda is also right, ideally it should be tested, or at least the creator had lots of experience for real. Really though, not many an genuinely say this. I'd suggest, gather some game folks, and try to apply the system unde the most real conditions possible. on hard ground, broken glass, ice, rain, snow, multiples, fear/surprise/intimidation. Crucially, not to o this in the safety of a hall. out in the areas the combat will be. Ya dont see soldier sitting in an indoor range for their hole training, for a reason. training as real as possible, in similar arenas to where you will operate, helps greatly psychologically also. for me, in crime, it is the psychological factor that is most important.

warmest wishes

Wayne
Wayne Harrison
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I will be commenting on this, as I am still waiting for the jury to come in

Whatever 'reputation' I have or deserve.. (good or bad) is based around 53 years involved involved in this 'game'

I do have a few comments if anyone would be interested in them, but I do echo that this forum is the ONLY one (other than my own ASMAA Forum) that I will be part of .. I respect and admire the people on it. one or two being students of mine anyway.

I am not sure yet about you sir ... give me time

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 pm

FASD, can i ask what your background is?
Wayne Harrison
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

label and market it accurately

Funny you shoudl say this (and by funny I mean that it is a really good statement) because as I was training this morning I has this thought

'The problem is that since FASD Fight Training is not a martial art, the place I thought it would fit was in self defense. Clearly it is not. What it actually is, is just a different method of fighting.'

FASD, can i ask what your background is?
I assume you mean what experience I have as opposed to my nationality.. I think ive posted something like this in another thread ...

i cant be bothered searching for it so heres a cut and paste of something..

I was introduced to Martial Arts (Jiu-Jitsu) around 1990. My family moved every few years and I enjoyed learning from many schools of thought so I studied a number of different styles (Shoalin Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Ninjitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, Shoot Wrestling, Arniss and other various eclectic schools) but never really dedicated to one.

... From here it goes into why I developed FASD, not really relevant to your question, except for perhaps being in the military and MMA

-- if you are comparing things via the common martial arts ranking system, on average I probably got about 3/4 of the way up in most styles I trained.. give or take a few ranks depending on the style.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:[-- if you are comparing things via the common martial arts ranking system, on average I probably got about 3/4 of the way up in most styles I trained.. give or take a few ranks depending on the style.

3/4 of the way up, or do you mean 3/4 of the way to a black belt?

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 am

Isnt it the same thing??

i mena 3/4of the way up the respective ranking system.. if black belt is the highest, then 3/4 of the way to a black belt
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 am

You don't need your own system.

A system isn't the answer. Just own your own learning.

Concentrate on being the best you can be and developing your own learning methods. There are a huge number of experts in their field that you can learn from. Why would you need a "system" of your own.

Watch those who are the best in their field, learn how to learn and concentrate on that. The more I follow threads and breadcrumb trails from others who are at the top of their field the more I realise there is to learn.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 am

I think the rest of what I left out probably covers this.

The system is pretty much just a way of learning.. it was originally just a method for me to self train.

I agree with what you say.. i know i there is an abundance of quality information out there, in all subjects

I appreciate your comments though.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:3/4 of the way up, or do you mean 3/4 of the way to a black belt?

Oh, I think I understand what you mean now.

Because to get from white to yellow (or whatever the systmen maybe) is alot easier than getting from brown to black.

So when I say 3/4 I am referring to the number of belts in the system, not as a direct indication of how close I am to acheiving the highest rank ie, the least impressive of the two.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 am

You must also understand that a black belt is not the top of a system but an indication that you know the basis of it.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 am

1st Dan is the START of phase two and the END of phase one.

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I agree Dave.

I have 2 black belts and I didn't start really learning anything in each style until I got to black belt and could begin to apply it.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:56 am

Well.......has the harvesting finished ?, its all went a bit quiet Rolling Eyes
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next