Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality of Violence?

+16
edbaker
Joshu's Dog
Socrates
Jan
Sea Bass
SteveC
Nick Hughes
Jamie Wadman
Richard Grannon
BN
Lionel
Dave Turton
Get Back
Slackbladder
Atmos
peterM
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Reality of Violence? - Page 4 Empty Re: Reality of Violence?

Post  drgndrew Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:29 am

G'day Dave Hows it going mate.

These reason i actually expand the stages is for empowerment. Showing someone that there are 4 or 5 steps taken by the attacker before the physical attack each with a tactic or two that can prevent the attacker moving into the next stage, can be very empowering to those with little experience with violence.

It also drives home the importance of Awareness, and how to avoid violence via it and hard targeting. I've found that people tend to learn or more correctly understand better when you break down a larger "thing" into smaller chunks, as opposed to grouping these chunks together. Still it can all go into a tree diagram.

I don't include Intent because we (the victims) don't have a significant influence over it, Basically what Coops says (G'day Dude)

I also include His escape because it is often an over looked part of the process. if there's a large wild animal in your house you wouldn't stand between it an the door would you.

Anyway enough from me

drgndrew

Back to top Go down

Post  peterM Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:02 am

“That ends it” …or so I thought!

Sea Bass - no it was not. Sorry, but I have no idea what you may have written.

Coops- the whole process is no doubt somewhat more elaborate than what I set out but the reference to Quinn arose narrowly in connection with his definition of “the interview” which did not seem defined in the Bouncers Guide. Thanks anyway for the elaboration.

Nick R/Rusty S- the trouble about arguing by analogy is that I can equally respond by saying that on a hot summers day do you go out with a raincoat and umbrella on the off chance that you might get caught in a shower? Or perhaps more of a real consideration do you wear a stabproof vest because there is some likelihood that you will get knifed? As this is a common occurrence and potentially lethal why not? I do not because I personally consider that the chance of such happening is remote and it outweighs the inconvenience of wearing one. That is my personal decision. It may be different for your personal circumstances. I repeat that each one of us must make a decision about our own personal safety and act accordingly.

drgndew- as you say understanding the process is the important thing and thank you for setting out your analysis. The reason however that we need to be clear about how we use terms when corresponding on a forum is that misunderstandings and miscommunication arise without it. Hence I and you may separate selection from interview but for SB the term encompasses the whole process. We didn’t make clear from the outset how we were using a term which is in everyday use. Not significant in
real life application but a source of confusion when interacting on a forum.

Dave- you appear to make no distinction between decision to attack and selection. And of course decision to attack can both precede selection and follow it. Any reason?

peterM

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2006-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Coops Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm

peterM wrote:“Coops- the whole process is no doubt somewhat more elaborate than what I set out but the reference to Quinn arose narrowly in connection with his definition of “the interview” which did not seem defined in the Bouncers Guide. Thanks anyway for the elaboration.

No problem. I happened to be funded to interview Peyton a few years ago. Much of what we discussed was along the lines of this thread. He is a fine man with a wealth of knowledge.

Coops
Coops
Coops

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.mdcconsultants.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4