Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality

+3
David Turton
Ade
Chris
7 posters

Go down

Reality Empty Reality

Post  Chris Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 am

There is a lot of controversy about the use of the word reality when it comes to training and martial arts.

Keeping it "REAL" has become a bone of contention amongst many and a stick for some to use in laying waste to the assumed training methods of those not within the "know".

I always have one question. When you talk about the need to be red of tooth and claw in your training. The need to kill, rip, maim and be prepared to utilise lethal force. When you make the assertion that unless you are training like an elite fighter ready to run through brick walls and claim a resting BPM heart rate of 34.

What "reality" exactly are you talking about?

It sure as shit isn't MY reality. I don't live in the latest version of Mortal Kombat. It's also not the reality of anyone I know. AND I am close to members of the most high risk professions as well as members of society which would be considered "broken" by most common thought and theory. Guess what, this Mad Max Apocalyptic wasteland that we are being fed as "REALITY" isn't their reality either.

So... something is undoubtedly wrong in the sale of goods we are being shown.

Yes, violence is a regular occurance in certain places and for certain people.

Reality... 99.9% of all violence does not consist of potentially lethal force of serious harm. Now.. does that mean I am saying that there is no violence and no threat. Absolutely NOT. It means that you need to be wide awake and truly cognisant of the threat rather than the myth.

Yes, you can live a law abiding life and violence can still find you.

Reality, 99.9% of ALL violence is social violence with two or more parties playing an active part. It's not good guy and bad guy. It's two or more people on one level or another consenting to be part of that violent event. The predator and prey event is not a myth but the overwhelming reality is that if you are caught up in a violent event you probably did something to cause, escalate or inflame it.

If you aren't actively preparing to take out the scum a'la Death Wish you are a sheep.

Reality. If you aren't looking for trouble, likelihood is that trouble wont find you. Trouble has its hands full dealing with the demands of covering arse-holes and wankers to worry about people who are genuinely dedicated to not going looking for strife. If you are prepared to exercise logic, common sense and jettison ego then you will likely be just fine. If you are prepared to ackniowledge the fact that nothing you own is worth your life or wellbeing then you are even further ahead of the game.

If you are a grown adult and you are asking yourself. "How do I hit hard enough to knock someone out." then ask yourself why. Be brutally and unflinchingly honest with yourself. If you are asking that question then ask another one, "Why do I want to be able to knock someone out?" if you have lasted that long without a major incident then maybe your blood and guts instructor with hundreds of fights under his belt should be asking you for the tips to living a safe life?

Train hard, train unflinchingly and train honestly. Don't ever let anyone tell you what your reality is. That's yours and yours alone.

Here is my truth. I'm Chris and I have trained for nearly thirty years because I like to see if I can keep going when it gets tough. It's the same reason I run for miles... just to see if I can. The same reason I choose training which hurts, tests me and makes me want to quit. The reason I head towards training sessions with leaden legs because I know I'm going to be tested.

What's your reality?
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Reality Empty Re: Reality

Post  Ade Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 am

Outstanding post Chris!

..and one that has got me pondering how my reality has changed over the years...
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Chris ... That post deserves a wider and larger audience mate

send it to Bob Sykes or Martial Pulse for publication.. its great

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Great post Chris, well written.

Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am

Cheers, ... mind if I share it?
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am

not at all Roadkill, share it wherever you want.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am

Part Two,

It is a plain falsehood to claiom that the only true development for the martial arts student is to turn them into a fighter capable of immense violence and use of force.

It is a truth that to become proficient in fighting and to develop fighting ability you need to endure hardship and pressure but there are a number of issues and areas which exist between the creation of a super fighter capable of competing with the most vicious and committed assailant and the terrified and cowed individual incapable of any action at all when faced with aggression.

A good martial arts instructor can rightly claim success if he brings a student along a parth of greater confidence and capability. No false confidence and no false claims of physical superiority but a truthful analysis of their capability at the onset and their progress through the journey to a more assured and confident person. The child who finds the courage to stand up to the bully and asserts their right to protection with teachers and parents has gained from their training. The office worker who calmly and assertively refuses to be cowed by an aggressive co-worker. A young woman who learns the lesson of forward planning and forethought for her journeys and basic awareness and avoidance techniques. All have progressed in their journey, all are better prepared and all are a harder proposition or target for much of the conflict they will face during the course of their lives.

I see no issue at all with claiming these students as a success and also as having successfully developed self protection skills.

That can live hand in hand with the reality of the worst case scenario where the party who wants it more tends to get it more and the bigger, stronger person holds all the cards. The worst case scenario can still be taught as incredibly difficult, painful, dangerous and impactful on the individual while still creating individuals capable of operating at a level below almost superhuman knock out artist.

Surely such a mentality is the corner-stone of real training for real people. No dumbing down and no dishonesty. A real appraisal of threat analysis and management. A real undestanding of the threats that people living their daily lives may face and a real framework for application of techniques and principles which will assist in keeping them safer than they were before entering the gym or dojo.

What about the people who are not cut out physically, mentally or emotionally for swimming at the deep end physically? Do we jettison them as being beyond development and unworthy of our time? That seems a strange philosophy when so many of the life stories of the most efficient and proficient fighters I have heard almost unanimously incorporate a story of physical hardship and usually victimisation. It would appear that very often those who have the furthest to travel in conquering their fears and demons travel past those of us who are lucky not to have suffered that same level of abuse. Food for thought when casting aside the cowed child who is afraid of heavy contact and hard training. What do we say to the older person faced with an aggressive fifteen stone male, or a young woman faced with the same. Do we tell them that unless they can throw a knock out punch there is nothing to teach them as far as self protection. Do we tell them that unless they are prepared to undergo a professional fighting regime they cannot be taught anything which may increase their personal safety? Narrowing down the field even more, do we tell the kickboxing world champion that he is not learning worthy skills and should immediately transition to his blood and guts MMA gym where in likelihood he will be working with "fighters" who do not share his skill level in his personal arena?

If you want to keep it real... do so... just be very definite no matter which end of the spectrum you fall that you are not simply adopting a methodology which suits your own personal predilictions rather than reflects the real world and the people who live in it.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't think i've ever seen the nail hit so squarely on the head as i have done in this article Chris.

Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm

David Turton wrote:Chris ... That post deserves a wider and larger audience mate

send it to Bob Sykes or Martial Pulse for publication.. its great

It's going to get a wider audience. I'm sticking it up on my blogging and driving traffic to it.

With Chris' permission, of course.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Penor Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Chris, you raised some interesting points.
Some of them I rekon I could read repeatedly and contemplate.

Reality, is experienced by some as a subjective phenomena.
People train for different reasons dictated by these experiences.
Some people are part of the percentage who encounter life threatening violence. Certain techniques are developed in dependence upon these phenomena. Is it possible to control inner and outer phenomena so that one does not encounter life threatening violence? I'm just a normal bloke and I've nearly been murdered.

Penor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Penor Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi Chris, I'm interested to know what your thoughts are regarding unprovoked violence or random incidents and if this influences peoples training. Also, do you think it is wise to develop the capacity to ko, seriously maim, defend against weapons etc etc even though statistically you may never need to use these tools?

Penor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Penor,

Thanks for your positive comments and good questions mate, but check out the following link.

https://selfprotection.forumotion.com/t8855-rip-chris-wilson

It's very sad and I didn't personally know the man, however there are those here who did and they may be able to help you answer your questions.

Apologies to the others on here, particularly those who knew him, if I've jumped the gun by advising Penor about Chris's passing.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Penor Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 am

I'm really sorry to hear this. No doubt he will be missed. RIP.

Penor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down