Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primitive power generation

+4
Narcoleptic
rezbi
Dave Turton
Kuntaosilat
8 posters

Go down

Primitive power generation Empty Primitive power generation

Post  Kuntaosilat Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:52 am

I was watching my 4 yr boy play fighting, and noticed that he kept opening his mouth when striking. The action resembled someone yarning with both sets of teeth visible. affraid He even performs this facial movement when using his toy hammer to bang stuff.

Is this some kind of primeval power generation and/or visual signalling to warn off potential foe? I’m sure there’s TV documentaries where primates are doing the same thing. Is this related to why some martial arts shout when striking? confused

Is it not a disadvantage to have your jaw open when fighting?

PS. Why don’t we do it as adults?

Kuntaosilat

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Primitive power generation Empty Re: Primitive power generation

Post  Dave Turton Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 am

well observed..

an Indian story goes..

"Tigers are silent when stalking and noisiest when killing"

open mouths are a vital part of some forms of projection of aggression

the main reason we dont do it as adults is because we have had it taught out of us in many ways..

"Close your mouth when eating " and so on

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:26 am

I've noticed this with my little 5 year old, also. He tends to make a distinct facial expression. When he's angry and is about to hit out he almost growls and looks ferocious. Cammy mentioned this, in not so many words, about hitting with the whole person not just the body but with the body, the mind, everything.

The intent to do serious damage has to be there otherwise the desired end result will not be there.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:46 pm

Related to this i saw a study that had compared the number of times a day pre-schoolers and adult SMILED. The result?

Kiddies 200, Adults 15.

Young children also tend to have brilliant posture, free movements and the ability to shout forever without horseness.

The way i see it freedom of facial expression could be seen as one aspect of freedom of action/feeling/thinking.

Cheers,

/Narco
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  PullupPastor Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 am

They totally breath from the abdomine as well....
PullupPastor
PullupPastor

Number of posts : 1995

http://www.kiva.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:23 am

Tony

Theres a very long alternative explanation regarding kids abdominal breathing, that is different to adults mate.. But I know where you are heading

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Get Back Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:26 am

Primitive power generation Jordanqn4

Michael Jordan was known for unusual faces whilst playing BB. He often said it was for concentration. I have known people who fight the same way (with their tongue out). They said it was involuntary. Looks dangerous to me.

Mike
Get Back
Get Back

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 am

Dave Turton wrote:Tony

Theres a very long alternative explanation regarding kids abdominal breathing, that is different to adults mate.. But I know where you are heading

Totally agree Dave, the argument that we should use abdominal breathing "cause babys do" is flawed. We should allow the breath to function as a integrated whole where the expansion of the ribcage, TOGETHER with the abdominal wall ALL AROUND the body is coordinated with the contraction (lowering) of the diaphragm. Good posture - with proper lenght and freedom of the spine is key in making this possible.

Intentionally breathing with the abdomen usually entails some FIXING of the ribcage and side/back of the abdominal wall to push the front of the abdomen in and out. This generally diminishes breathing capacity, stops the breathing from adjusting naturally to the need for oxygen and lead to anxiety etc. IMHO.

Cheers,

/Narco
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Back to top Go down

Post  PullupPastor Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Interesting - and im for hearing Daves explanation too....so why do babies naturally do it and yet adults dont?

Ive always found that if i become more mindful and use my abdomine more for breathing i do feel more relaxed and calm...it also feels "better" having that movement in the abdomine.

Ive heard one explanation for this is that the movement massages the internal organs and helps there function.

Im also totally aware that i cant seem to breath that way with a high heart rate! And without keeping myself aware i generally go back to shallow chesty breathing.....
PullupPastor
PullupPastor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:57 pm

PuP,

check this link for a take on abdominal (unsupported diaphragmatic) breathing while waiting for Dave to come in.

Enjoy!

/Narco
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Back to top Go down

Post  mattyboy Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:03 pm

PUP , Have you ever done the Reverse breathing from the diaphram?
mattyboy
mattyboy

Number of posts : 214

Back to top Go down

Post  PullupPastor Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Allo Matty not sure what that is m8 - could you describe it more?
PullupPastor
PullupPastor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:10 pm

Right basically its a development thing

babies cannot stand upright, they lie down for the first six months, then SIT.. both of which (especially prolonged sitting) place different stresses and positions on the upper and lower lungs

They need diaphragmatic breathing also as their digestive system works in a different area.. we need to digest solids, they only digest liquids etc

Babies are disproportionate in their leg/torso ratios, as in fact not NEEDING long strong legs yet, they aint got them.. the push and gravity effects on their systems are different.

they have faster heartbeats with less breaths and less exertions, so OXYGENATION is required via daiphragm breathing..

in short babies aint adults.. they have different need and requirements... they eat different sleep different shit different, breath different.. naturally

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  PullupPastor Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Interesting stuff fellas.....

Narco good link - though i maybe doing "Diaphragmatic Breathing" when im talking about abdominal breathing....
PullupPastor
PullupPastor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:59 am

PullupPastor wrote:Narco good link - though i maybe doing "Diaphragmatic Breathing" when im talking about abdominal breathing....

Would that be the supported or the unsupported version is the question... Wink

/Narco
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Back to top Go down

Post  edbaker Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:40 pm

Believe it or not I am a classicaly trained singer! Breathing from the diaphragm, that is, so that the shoulders do not rise and fall, is integral to generating enough support for the breath and also to relax and not stress the throat. It can be done whilst the torso is relaxed but as almost everone breathes in a shallow way we have to concentrate to achieve it and that's what fixes the spine etc while you are trying to do it.

For me deep supported breath is the key process I go through to relax, to de-stress, energise myself or just to get to sleep sometimes at night.

Spending time focusing on your breathing and really drawing in the air with your stomach, learning how it all fits together inside - it's really important and really useful in my opinion.
edbaker
edbaker

Number of posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:05 pm

Nice one edbaker

I once heard that many tenors and baritones could move grand pianos with just the power of tensing their stomachs through their diaphragms.

Did you ever come across that

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  edbaker Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:09 am

Haha! Ididn't ever see that but I'm not surprised they can d amazing stuff with breath control.

One of the excercises we used to do was stand close to a wall and hold a rizzla cigarrette paper against the wall then try and keep it pressed there with your breath for as long as you can. As you get better you move gradually further away from it.

One of the soprano women at uni who was about 7 stone dripping wet could stand nearly a yard back and keep it bang on for 15 seconds or something crazy like that. Her stomach muscles were amazing, she could sort of inflate her belly right out like she was pregnant and then suck it right in too and she always generated huge power.

There is definately an application of deep breathing in the martial arts - I have seen tv footage of an ancient grand master ringing bells with his shouts and supposedly dropping opponents with his voice - think i'll stick to the left hook myself Wink
edbaker
edbaker

Number of posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down