Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clinch/standing grappling

3 posters

Go down

Clinch/standing grappling Empty Clinch/standing grappling

Post  Joshu's Dog Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:12 am

Hi Dave,

I've recently realized that I need to improve my ability to fight from (or fight out of) a clinch (standing grappling).
What I'd like to do is some short, focused training on this, with someone who is good at it, and then practice it for real on mats regularly and non-compliantly for a while. The easiest way I can see is to figure out a system that does it well, and learn from /train with someone from there.

Given that my ability to commute to Doncaster is pretty limited, what would you recommend to shore up this part of my skillset?

My thoughts:
Muay Thai - they have some good knees in the clinch, and work it a lot.
Judo - more time that I'd like as the focus (at least over here) is more formal, sport judo - formal grips and such. That's not the kind of clinch I'm thinking of (though your input here would be valued, I recognize I could be wrong about this).
BJJ - they barely work the clinch, at least here, taking a "we don't care how we get to the ground, we'll just fight from there" approach. Been there, done that. I don't think it's the answer.
Wrestling - I honestly don't know enough about adult wrestling to answer, or where to find someone to teach it.

Your thoughts?

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Clinch/standing grappling Empty Re: Clinch/standing grappling

Post  Dave Turton Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:56 pm

a serious question my friend... the real answer is a bloody good training partner.. not necessarily a STYLE.. but work on set drills witha good partner

tell them what you want, and work it at 50% resistance at first whilst you get the 'moves' right, then simply increase their resistance..

sort of..
"OK we will try the rolling head throw from the standing clinch"
Your partner allows you to get the grip, and resists a bit..you work it for 10 times, then he resists even more and so on until you have done 50 reps

next session another set piece

dont go for a style mate.. you will get restricted by its own restrictions..

just use 'methods' from any source at all

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:10 pm

This is kind of related to clinch training.

When you drill Tawara Gaeshi (rice bale throw) do you drill the judo version that can be done full force

Or the combat orientated choking/cranking version with visualisation of full force?

I know the arguments for an against each method, so I'm just asking which one you use.

......... I just had a nasty idea Idea . A rice bail throw from a grovit

Jan

Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Thanks, Dave. While mulling this over after posting it, I thought of a great guy locally to do this training with.
Called him today, we'll start working together soon (gotta let my rib heal up a bit more first).
Great wrestler, has good knees and elbows and generally a Hard Guy To Take Down. Plus, more importantl, a really good guy who likes to help other people learn.
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:04 pm

I only advocate the side rice bale anyway.. full takedown only

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk