Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow grappling

+4
David Turton
Chris
jasonr
rezbi
8 posters

Go down

Shadow grappling Empty Shadow grappling

Post  rezbi Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 am

I know shadow boxing works, as do other form of striking techniques without a partner. I was wondering if anyone does shadow grappling and how they find it.

I know it's one of the ways Matt Furey trains and I have a video of him training alone. He swears by it.

I figure he's done welland maybe he's onto something. However, it's also possible his other training is what really got him and there and the shadow grappling may or may not have added to his eventual strength.

Would like to know what others think.

What I'm really looking for is experience. Not just what people think may or may not be good.

Experience always trumps theory in my book.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Shadow grappling Empty Re: Shadow grappling

Post  jasonr Mon May 20, 2013 12:58 am

I think you can practice certain aspects of grappling on your own - entries for takedowns or throws, basic movements on the ground like shrimping, bridging etc.

I do it a fair bit. But it's important to also recognise its limitations. Air doen't move like a real person! Equally, there isn't always a real person hanging around to train with.

jasonr

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 am

better to add some weight to move the exercise beyond the visualisation alone realm.

Sandbags, grappling dummy, chains (though be careful you don't catch a faced full of link!), heavy bag if needs must. Just something that you physically have to move in line with your own movements. Specially any reversals you are working.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon May 20, 2013 8:47 am

cant see any use in it to be honest
wrestling. grappling has a great deal of static isometric muscle use as well as dynamic isotonic muscle use ... you need resistance or its not much use..

there is however a case for going through a complete defence which may include some takedown/hold etc, a speed and with aggression, but your body mind link needs feedback from the actual resistance

given that ANY training is better than none .. then maybe

weighted resistance is vital

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Mon May 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm skeptical towards it.

Visualisation is probably just as good in this scenario than "pretending" to grapple someone. Becoming a better grappler involves feeling and reading your opponents movements so you can counter him, block him, dominate him etc. It's hard to do that when you don't actually have an actively resisting opponent to work with.

Personally, I think you'd be better off doing a heavy bag workout, resistance training, aerobic workout or similar if you don't have a training partner at any one time. I think you'd get more out of it.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Much better to do it with rubber bands. You can set up the pull angles very well.

jesse

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Tue May 21, 2013 6:42 am

I have done it as stand up in yiquan.Basically you get a tree that is around 30-40 meters away and pull,push,yank,lift or any combinations of directions you like.The tree creates as much resistance as you want,if you want less resistance imagine it is light,for a more demanding workout imagine it is massive and impossible to move.Its ideal for training the initial explosive phase of a move,ie,the explosive reaction that breaks an opponents root and balance if performing a technique such as the suplex.It can also be used for clinch work.Needless to say you do need a very good mind/body connection and its debatable if time could be better spent on methods that will provide quicker results.As for the ground its very difficult to effectively shadow grapple on the ground as its very hard to create coordinated resistance and whole body connection with the ground.It could be done,but again, the time spent perfecting it could be spent on more simpler and more effective training methods.

To be honest a far better workout is to make use of a large heavy bag and use that as a wrestling dummy.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

I used to practice counters and takedowns on bags but it only confirms what has been said above... not nearly as good as the real thing. I recall it was one of the reasons I was dissatisfied with my fourth capoeira grading as it involved a lot of takedowns that I simply couldn't pratice alone in the gym, which was one of the reasons I entered the first three exams confidently.

That tree stuff sounds like a good strength builder though. I believe Dave once mentioned an Indian Wrestler who did scarf training around a tree once
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down