Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Master Class

+6
stubedo
Baloo
Trevor
Joshu's Dog
Paul J
Dave Turton
10 posters

Go down

Last Master Class Empty Last Master Class

Post  Dave Turton Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:48 am

Saturday (30th sept) master class probably show the expression "Quality not quantity".. we managed only SEVEN people turn up for this latest master class.. so yes numbers were very disappointing, but those there were of the highest quality..

the usual four from the NE (The Peterlee muggers) and three other stalwarts.

we managed to cover loads of subjects due to the low numbers.. so in every aspect other than numbers it was a very good session.

The only drawback is that once again it puts the master classes in danger of ending.

I get just a tad frustrated at the emails, and phone calls etc I get in the last 7-10 leading up to a master class from people asking for details, directions, can they bring their mates etc etc etc.. then 'no-show'

It costs ME nearly fifty quid £50 to put the master class on.. 7 x £10 doesnt leave much profit..

so if they are not supported, they will end .. simple as that

apologies for the moan.. feel better having got it off my chest Ha Ha

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Last Master Class Empty Re: Last Master Class

Post  Paul J Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 am

Nooooo!

Ahem (regains control of self)...

Hi Dave,
thoroughly enjoyed the session, lots to think about as usual.
Not quite got my head around the roundhouse kick with the bent front knee, but hey, that's the french for you..! Bit of practice required I think...

Great session, as you say small numbers though. From a students perspective it can make for the best sessions, but I can see the problem from where you're standing. Fingers crossed that attendance goes back up.

Cheers to Andy who I trained with by the way - sorry about the finger mark bruising on the face. Not too sorry mind, cos mine is exactly the same Very Happy

Also thanks for showing us the grovit Dave. My neck has never felt looser!!

Looking forward to next time.
Paul

Paul J

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2006-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:39 pm

sigh...
growl...

Dammit, guys, the UK just isn't that damn big that you can't get to Doncaster.

'nuff said.

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul J Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:38 pm

I know Jk. You're right, but in truth even more so than you realise.
I train in Goshikwai Combat in Sheffield. Guess what? This is Dave's system. And it is only a few miles from sunny Doncaster. Ok, so this is Dave's stuff, sot you can understand that there are not large numbers, i.e. it ain't everone's cup of teas, but even so.. why don't more of the Sheffield guys turn up to the master class once a month? God alone knows.

The really bewildering thing, is that it is not the people. there are some superb students there, such as James and Mark, who absolutely love this system, who have been there longer than I have, and who I totally love to train with. But no show on the master classes.

Sorry to Mark and James - hey guys you might have good reason - this wasn't meant to be name and shame at all. I was aiming really at everone training at Waltheof - you guys happen to be amonst the best, that's all. Bottom line is that Goshinkwai Combat Sheffield is maybe half an hour drive from Andy C's place in Doncaster.

If the guys from the NE come down every month, and if JK is gagging for it (figure of speech mate, UK style...!), the why the fuck can't a few of us make it from Sheffield?

Here's hoping I didn't manage to keep them all away, for fear of the dastardly grovit Dave..?

(by the way, thank you to Stu for one or two very timely bits of help and tuition - much appreciated mate)

Cheers
Paul

Paul J

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2006-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi Dave,
Like Paul says ,a good class and would be a real shame if they stopped. I always come away with something to think about and its nice to be able to train with different partners to those I usually train with.
Interesting mix of Japanese , French ,and Lancashire Catch techniques.
I really liked the French opening turn of the opponent and that kick to the shin.
Maybe the name Master Class puts some people off attending, if they think you have to be really good to go. I know I asked Paul what they were like before the first one I came to. I came and everyone was friendly and helpful (especially my partner that day, Davie from NE ) and I'm not even master in my own house Rolling Eyes
Pauls parting words to me were " if you get there early on Monday I can practise that grovit on you ". Not what I'd really call an incentive.....

Trevor

Trevor

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Baloo Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:17 am

Dave,

In relation to Master Classes, may I clarify what level you feel you would need to have acheived to a) not be a hinderence in these classes and b) not feel like you were completely out of your depth.

I suppose what I am conscious of is the use of the word 'Master' here - I feel I would really like to come along to these when I can, but I'm not sure I'm at a sufficient standard.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

Baloo

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  stubedo Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:01 pm

I really enjoyed the master classes, but unfortunately probably won't be able to make it to many anymore due to starting a college course, hopefully though, Mick will bring a load of good stuff back from them.

stubedo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:51 pm

You guys don't know how lucky you are to have this kind of quality on your doorstep.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:14 am

Baloo,

If I had a quid for everyone who told me they were worried about "measuring up" to master class level I'd be a rich man.

Truth is that everyone is more than welcome, just turn up and train hard is the order of the day and we've always got experienced lads to partner and work through stuff with.

all the best
Chris
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Baloo Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:32 am

Chris,

Cheers for that - looks like I shall be seeing you at a Master Class someday soon in that case!

Very Happy

Baloo

Baloo

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 am

Nice one mate, just let me know when and I'll make sure to introduce myself.

cheers
Chris
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:48 pm

I'll be moving up to Blackburn soon and so will have the chance to attend regularly after waiting for so long. So I really hope it doesn't have to end at this stage.

Otherwise....grrrrrrhhh!!!

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:14 am

Having had some feed-back re the name Master Class, and a conversation last night with a couple of my private students (one who is an excellent kick boxer and runs a great set up .. Dave Vickers)
he actually said people might be 'put off' training with me or Karl because of our supposed 'high levels (tongue firmly in cheek).. sort of "Bloody Hell 8th Dan, I dont want to look crap in front of HIM" type of thing
so maybe the term 'master Class' is slightly misleading.. so new title being..

SDF OPEN SESSIONS

Requirements..

1. 16 or over , approx 12 months involvment..
2. Willing to train and get involved.
3. the session fee
4. a sense of humour
5. a sense of direction (loads cant find Andy's place)
6. no six!

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian S Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Still hope to get to one of these... but I can't make it to either the October or November ones unfortunately. Sad
Ian S
Ian S

Number of posts : 1070
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.hyboriantales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:08 am

The usual Peterlee suspects will be there.

Anyone thinking of coming along give me a shout and I guarantee you wont be short of a good training partner or two.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down