Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

karate video on self-protection forum

2 posters

Go down

karate video on self-protection forum Empty karate video on self-protection forum

Post  Socrates Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:31 am

Hi Nick:

Russell Stutely has posted a video of some modern karate over on the self-protection forum. I was wondering what you think of it. Do you think they're going back to karate's roots? Or are they changing the system to make it look more modern?

All the best,
RGC
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

karate video on self-protection forum Empty Re: karate video on self-protection forum

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Mate,

I just answered this up on the Wing Chun thread...but, in case you miss it up there it looks like an updated version of the old Kyokushinkai tournaments.

They were similar (the styles) to Zen Do Kai in a lot of ways. We had a 30 round kumite for 2nd dan, they have a 100. Our 30 man is all black belts, there's are any ranks. Their knockdown stuff was set up where it was illegal to punch the face (but you could kick it) and we had punches but no leg kicks.

Anyway, I digress...it looks like they've stuck on the helmets and allowed the punches to the face in which is good - I daresay they're an offshoot of Kyokushinkai by the way...and not the pure style. But yes, it looks a lot like what we used to do sparring...fights went to the ground and continued, nothing much was outlawed in the way of strikes and so on.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down