Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Rethink on Karate

3 posters

Go down

A Rethink on Karate Empty A Rethink on Karate

Post  BN Mon May 26, 2008 10:48 am

IHi Nick,

I have to say that after reading your articles on Karate, especially in the Sparring thread, and the answers to Richard Grannon on Trad arts, I have changed my ideas on Karate/Trad arts.

In the past, I have often argued against Karate whilst you have defended it and Trad arts in general. I think that we have been at cross purposes during these discussion as I was talking about a different thing to you.

When I did Karate, no one talked about the kinds of things you have mentioned in your articles (too tired to go into detail now), that leads me to believe that I wasn't being taught real Karate and that what you were doing was the real stuff. I just hadn't been exposed to it.

MMA/self protection is my base now, but I feel that any art done properly can be good self protection if trained correctly. It's down to how it's trained. Not what it's called.

Cheers,

BN
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

A Rethink on Karate Empty Re: A Rethink on Karate

Post  Nick Hughes Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Yes mate,

Your post is one of the reasons I used to try and differentiate between what karate is and what most people see by labelling the latter McDojo karate.

The problem with the martial arts is that they became popular. Back, before Bruce Lee, martial arts had a fearsome reputation simply because they worked as advertised.

After Lee's meteoric rise to stardom and the world wide boom of all eastern combat systems the charlatans jumped into the mix and it all went to ratshite.

A saying I saw once summed it up nicely which was "whenever Art meets money, art loses."

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 am

Or when MMA meets fashion
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Tue May 27, 2008 1:30 pm

That's an interesting comment Rob, would you go into more detail?
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Tue May 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Well I think MMA is becoming in many cases more about the clothes/tattoos/haircuts than the fighting. Basically it's become all about the money too.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down