Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Wing Chun?

+4
rioter
Socrates
Nick Hughes
Katsumoto
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why Wing Chun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Wing Chun?

Post  Blackshield Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:05 am

what would you two wing chun guys say about the common criticism/perception that wing chun has poor (or no) footwork?
Blackshield
Blackshield

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:06 am

Sorry to take over your forum, Nick! Out of interest, who do you train with in wing chun?

Also, do you ever go over to California? Gary Lam's school is meant to be totally fantastic if you ever get the chance to visit.

Blackshield:

There´s no footwork at all in the first form and very little footwork at the beginning. The footwork only really begins with the second form. IMO, it´s very good, but it´s one of the parts that is likely to get watered down or missed if people rush through the system.

All the best,
RGC
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mattyboy Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:21 am

Blackshield, The footwork is really the secret too the system, but most schools unfortunatly overlook it, the second form is where you learn to move...its designed to move at short range with power but also using technique that will break the enemy down ie disable his weapons system..without effective footwork you cant make that happen..The Dummy form takes this to a much higher level..maintaing the principle of 3 points of contact ie 1 arm and 2 legs bridging the opponent or checking the opponents primary weapons..idealy with one hand free for attack or defence..although Wing Chun is primarily an attacking art...this is all hard to do as the technique is done on the dummy in one motion so footwork is taken to a high level...

Ps Im not really a WC man..did it for 18 months and loved it still keep in touch with a couple of the lads and chi sao with my cousin fairly iregularly..Im now training Goshinkwai which is great..but still like to think and do a bit of WC with mates etc...If i had the time and cash though id definetly do both and would also chuck in the FMA which i also enjoyed..

Yeah Ive never met Socrates but seem to see things Wing Chun more or less the same which is bloody RARE in the WC world....

And yeah the longer the better..we used to work on 7 to 8 years to complete the system but deeper is better and my old sifu spent 5 years onthe first form alone he spent 15 years doing the system, so i would probably go along with Socrates that 10 years is good part time..but would add 7 years would be a minimum...

Once you get into it you dont want to rush anyway..there so much in there to get......

I still do the first form every morning and it has givenm me tremendous benefits..there is also a health side to WC and that is something again which is overlooked....I may not be a WC expert..but when youve eaten in atop restaurant you know the difference!!! hope the above helps and wish you well...

matty
mattyboy
mattyboy

Number of posts : 214

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:58 am

Here´s a nice little video with some footwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWUo8qS53U&search=wing%20chun
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 am

The clip I saw was from th thighs/hips up. Yes, these guys were moving about, but you couldn't actually see any footwork.

Was that the right clip?

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 am

You're right, you can´t actually see their feet, but they move from one side of the room to the other and back again. The stereotype of wing chun is that people just stand completely still...
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am

I trained in the Samuel Kwok lineage under two guys called Kevin (can't remember his surname, but he was pretty arrogant) and Dave Carnell.

We did move about, but it was with much of the weight on the back leg. It was like hopping about like an injured chicken!

Dave got out though and went into JKD as far as I am aware.

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:37 am

Didn't those guys offer you an instructorship after a year? That´s the perfect example of people being rushed through the system...
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:29 am

Yep.

They asked me to open my own class in less than a year actually. It was all fuelled by finances. In fairness to Sam Kwok he didn't seem to be involved in that part of it, just the two guys running the club I attended.

I made my excuses and left!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2