Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engage with rage?

+5
Nick Hughes
Paul Oxtoby
Ade
MJD
Beach Comber
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Engage with rage? - Page 2 Empty Re: Engage with rage?

Post  Beach Comber Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 am

Garth Barbnard, well the thing is that blackbelt when in the range he was well trained in and dealing with things he was more used to,was a terror with his feet.He could kick hard and fast thats for sure.But in close range were most of the nasty stuff happens and facing a determined opponent willing to take a kick his training didnt hold up well.But his trainign did give him good footwork and a good sense of range and timing so all was not for naught.Regards

Beach Comber

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Beach Comber Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am

Dave Turton, thank you for comments.If you have the time could explain what you mean by "path working"?Regards

Beach Comber

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:20 am

we use pathworking very extensively from 1st Kyu/1st dan levels and above..

basically you have several students standing wel apart from each other on the mat.. you ask them to close their eyes than I take them through an imaginary scenario.. a quick simple example would be.. (bear in mind the usual ones are more complicated and longer than this short example)

"You are walking down a busy street .. see the crowds, hear the noises, smell the smells .. now across the road you spot a guy in jeans and a black leather jacket.. he is wife a female.. he points and you rather agresively and speaks to the women.. what is he saying, what is going to happen.. feel your senses rise to the challenge, watch in almost slow motion as he is walking across the road towards you.. (often at this point I can see the students clenching their fists, their breathing becoming rapid and their body tensing slightly)...
"He is getting closer, 10 yards away, 8 yards.. SIX .. THREE he reaches into his pocket and you see the handle of a knife NOW NOW NOW BANG.."

I shout this loud and the students do a kind of mad combination of shouts and screams, striking the air, stamping the floor.. enacting takedowns, grabds headbutts .. whatever comes into their minds.. then I shout "STOP"... sometimes I have to shout 3 or 4 times.. they are panting exhausted with this violent madness.. yet it is CONTROLLED madness as I take them through other scenarios directing their minds and aggressions as well as their calmness

Thats a very quick incomplete idea.. we use it a lot at the higher levels.. however without correct tuition theres not much you can get from it, because it requires correct 'feeds'and 'triggers' and 'controls'

hope that helps a bit

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 am

David Turton wrote: "You are walking down a busy street .. see the crowds, hear the noises, smell the smells .. now across the road you spot a guy in jeans and a black leather jacket.. ..

<SNIP>

"He is getting closer, 10 yards away, 8 yards.. SIX .. THREE he reaches into his pocket and you see the handle of a knife NOW NOW NOW BANG.."
<SNIP>

the students do a kind of mad combination of shouts and screams, striking the air, stamping the floor.. enacting takedowns, grabds headbutts .. whatever comes into their minds..

You see, now I would have just ran into a store Laughing

Just kidding.

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  MJD Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:10 am

I've used the Pathwalking drills to hone my 'instinctive sqeal and run away' response down to a razor pitch. Man, I'm good.
MJD
MJD

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 am

My years teaching you havent been wasted Martin mate

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  MJD Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 am

True. I have the sqeal and flee thing down pat.

Maybe it's time to move on to something new. Maybe 'curl up and whimper' if that's not a bit too advanced.
MJD
MJD

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Beach Comber Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Dave Turton, thanks for the response, that is a very interesting approach.Regards

Beach Comber

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:36 am

no prbs mate you are more than welcome

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2