Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back probs

4 posters

Go down

back probs Empty back probs

Post  jethro Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi Nick,
I read several times you mentioned a serious back problem you have/had.
I also have a back problem, a nerve or something seems to be catching, not so serious as your's I think, but feel like chucking it all in, but your still going strong, so I wondered if you have any advice where I could go from here?
The docter said it's wear and tear and not to waste any more money on physio's etc but is there anything else I could do ?

jethro

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

back probs Empty Re: back probs

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 pm

I wish I had better news mate. Apart from chiropractors who help, and the ubiquitous ice/heat and anti-inflammatories there's not much else to do.

Once your better Pilates definitely seems to help. Surgery is an option but in a recent study surgery and non-surgery both seem to reach the same point about two years after with regards to improvement..the surgery is faster but costs more.

I personally won't opt for surgical intervention until I can't walk because I know several people who were irreversibly worse after it.

As for still going strong...I'm still going...I don't know about strong. The other key is to figure out the worst offenders for what aggravates it and avoid them like the plague. For me that's kicking and stretching and running.

Good luck with it mate...wish I could be of more help

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

back probs Empty back probs

Post  jethro Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am

Thank you Nick,
Very nice of you to write back and I think you touched on one thing ,''running'' I still can't get it in my head, that my back does not like it.
Will try the Pilates though.

jethro

Back to top Go down

Post  the spaniard Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 am

Have heard only good things about Pilates.
My physio told me to strenghten my core muscles to avoid the back doing all the job.

the spaniard

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Jethro,

Did you get a chance to try the pilates yet...and if yes, how did it work for you?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:52 am

jethro wrote:Hi Nick,
I read several times you mentioned a serious back problem you have/had.
I also have a back problem, a nerve or something seems to be catching, not so serious as your's I think, but feel like chucking it all in, but your still going strong, so I wondered if you have any advice where I could go from here?
The docter said it's wear and tear and not to waste any more money on physio's etc but is there anything else I could do ?

How old are you, mate?
The reason I ask is that I have had a long standing back problem for about 15 years now and have seen the X-rays of my lower spine. It clearly shows bone spurs from osteoarthritis - which comes with age and playing hard contact sports which impact on your spine - this is complicated by the natural thinning of the discs as you age. If you have that sort of problem them you need specific exercises and a chiropractor can help but the onus is on you to keep doing the exercises regularly.

If your spine is pinching a nerve because it is misaligned or you have a postural problem then I have found chiropractic treatment does the trick more than anything. Doctor's seem to be totally clueless....

Back to top Go down

back probs Empty back

Post  jethro Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:39 am

Thank you Dave,
I think I will end up back at the chiropractor,I am trying all sorts at the moment, latest one is ''no acid foods, only akaline''?

Trying to write very small---I am 57 foooooking hell. Sad

jethro

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:34 am

jethro wrote:Thank you Dave,
I think I will end up back at the chiropractor,I am trying all sorts at the moment, latest one is ''no acid foods, only akaline''?

Trying to write very small---I am 57 foooooking hell. Sad

Thinning discs might be your issue then, mate! Bugger all you can do about that other than flexibility exercises, e.g cat stretch, and glucosamine supplments. Yoga and Tai Chi is what we oldies need!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Dave...don't forget Pilates.

Also, Dr Arnot (a guy that used to help Schwarzenegger back in the day) wrote a book about turning back the clock. He was a wreck at 38 after years of extreme sports etc and decided to heed his own advice (physician heal thyself type of thing)

He says 4 things are of primary importance...

1. Low or no impact aerobics (roller blades, swimming, bikes, eliptical etc)

2. Glucosamine supplements

3. Yoga or Pilates

4. Training shoes only, all the time. (there are dress shoes now that come with a Reebock training sole)

He went on to say - in an interview I saw - if he could only do one thing it would be the Yoga/Pilates.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

back probs Empty back

Post  jethro Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Thank you Nick,
I am going to give most of that a go.
I did some 'standing' and 'sitting' last night and my back feels better.
I just have problems believing in it and yet I am better when I do it.
It comes under Chi-Gung and it is a part called BUQI.

jethro

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:21 am

While in no way prescribing the following action, there is some evidence that shows that walking barefeet may lead to overall better back health. Gait and posture are important when you have back pain and walking barefeet can help improve overall posture and restore a more "natural" gait.
rasdj
rasdj

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:51 am

Jethro,

How's the back coming along?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes