Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Defence and Martial Arts

+2
GOVINDA
sebk
6 posters

Go down

Self Defence and Martial Arts Empty Self Defence and Martial Arts

Post  sebk Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Hello, I am in a bit of a quandry, ive recently returned to live to Wales having spent 17 years away; whilst away I trained in Jujitsu and Kickboxing whilst at the same time trained for a self protection instructor certificate under the BCA and other qualifications. I have been training with a small group of friends over here who wanted specific self defence training, my class has grown such that they are asking if i could teach a formal syllabus. I have worked on the front line for 13 years and have a good idea as to what works and doesn't and would love to teach that rather than a traditional syllabus that I am due to take my second dan in soon. Has anyone else been in this situation? How would I formalise some sort of syllabus whilst at the same time not letting my grade stagnate, even though I would love to take my second dan in Jijitsu, sword work, outerlocking and pre made multiple attacks really doesnt cut it for me any more.

This post is in no means meant to discredit any traditional martial arts system

sebk

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-28

Back to top Go down

Self Defence and Martial Arts Empty Re: Self Defence and Martial Arts

Post  GOVINDA Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Easy enough to do if you know what you want to teach, I did something similar and put "combatives" in the title of my system, I base the first part of the training around basic hits and the constant drilling of these, keeping in mind the simplicity of "real" fighting.......

You could start there mate for now, I'm sure you have a million ideas though, good luck with it Wink
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

If you know what works and what doesn't then chuck out the stuff that doesn't work and get really good at the stuff that does. Build your classes around these techniques, drill them multiple ways, add a bit of conditioning and go from there.

Furthermore, make sure you continue to evolve your style and system by attending relevant seminars or classes being held by reputable self defence experts so you stay in the loop.

Good luck mate.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 am

sebk wrote:Hello, I am in a bit of a quandry, ive recently returned to live to Wales having spent 17 years away; whilst away I trained in Jujitsu and Kickboxing whilst at the same time trained for a self protection instructor certificate under the BCA and other qualifications. I have been training with a small group of friends over here who wanted specific self defence training, my class has grown such that they are asking if i could teach a formal syllabus. I have worked on the front line for 13 years and have a good idea as to what works and doesn't and would love to teach that rather than a traditional syllabus that I am due to take my second dan in soon. Has anyone else been in this situation? How would I formalise some sort of syllabus whilst at the same time not letting my grade stagnate, even though I would love to take my second dan in Jijitsu, sword work, outerlocking and pre made multiple attacks really doesnt cut it for me any more.

This post is in no means meant to discredit any traditional martial arts system

Have a word with Dave Turton. He'll take a look over what you have and I'm sure he'll give you good feedback on what to include or disregard moving forward.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 am

contact me on info@asmaa.org.uk and I am sure we can work something out for you

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:32 pm

You could always do what Kaaaaarl did and watch animal shows and teach people how to fight like them. Zebras kick the shite out of predators and, as far as I know, nobody is teaching the Zebra kick yet.

Then get on to Mick Coup's site and plagiarize a bunch of stuff and you should be golden. Very Happy

it worked for Kaaarl, it will work for you to.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down