Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are martial arts for?

+4
David Turton
Chris
Nick Hughes
Socrates
8 posters

Go down

What are martial arts for? Empty What are martial arts for?

Post  Socrates Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 am

A thread about a skillful but prickly MMA coach is going downhill fast... However, I think there's a deeper issue at stake. What are martial arts for?

(A) Just fighting, including self-defence.

(B) Self-development / character building / self-protection.

(C) A bit of both. If you take MAs too far from fighting, you end up with ballroom dancing. But if you only concentrate on fighting and absolutely nothing else, you lose a lot of the other benefits.

Personally, I would go for (C). Staying calm under pressure is a skill that the average person will be able to use every single day of their life. But how often will they have to knock someone out?

What do you lot think?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

What are martial arts for? Empty Re: What are martial arts for?

Post  Nick Hughes Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:37 am

Brilliant question and I'll be back to throw in my two euros worth soon...right now I have some clients to deal with.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:16 am

Crickets... Tumbleweed... Brazilian footballer weeping in the corner as everyone ignores him...
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 am

It's a good question Soc.

I think any pastime you choose gives you whatever you are willing to take from it. For good or bad.

The individual will take as much or as little from what they do as their own makeup allows.

As for the martial arts, they can potentially be beneficial in all of the ways you mention above, and many more. Whether they actually WILL be is down to the individual involved.

Horse to water and not being able to make it drink comes to mind. I tend to add, the horse will DRAG you to water if it is thirsty enough. People tend to take what they NEED from the activity they take part in.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:38 am

its simple
the martial arts are for what you want them for

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am

I got into Martial Arts as a kid to enable me to defend myself as I was brought up on a Council estate in Liverpool. So its always good to be able to be able to look after yourself a little.

Started with Ju-Jitsu (at my fathers insistence) With Jack Britten. Alpha Ju-Jitsu

Next Shotokan Karate at 13 or 14 (because I wanted to) With Andy Sherry and Frank Brennan. Red Triangle Karate Club

Discovered Kickboxing at 16 (because I realised that Karate lacked the contact aspect be it sparring or bag / pad work) With Jeff and John Bullock, Hawthorne Health and Fitness

From kick boxing got introduceed to Thai-boxing, which in turn gave me my interest in boxing.

Its been a long time since I've actually attended any Martial arts class. I take from everything I've ever studied and add to it what I think is suitable for me as an individual, be it headbutts, pre-emptive strikes, a little ground work etc.
To this day I have a small arsenal of techniques that I drill and practise and would fall back on in a confrontation.
In short I never wanted anything else from the Martial Arts but the ability to defend myself. I never reached black belt in any art I studied the closest would be Shotokan were I achieved my brown belt. But that was when I was young and still didnt understand the difference between real fighting and Martial Arts training.

Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am

Pyjama sales ?

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu May 09, 2013 4:13 pm

C.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 am

After some thought on the subject. Its obvious that its different things to different people. Some do it for the spiritual, some for the fighting (self defense). some for the sport competition / trophy side of things, others to imitate their childhood heroes, other the feel that they are actually achieving something (grades. belts etc). Some people do it as a form of physical exercise.
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:18 am

Where it gets confusing is that lots of people say they want to do it for one thing but are training for something else. I blame the clubs to start with but people should realise at some point. As far as I can see this mainly happens when people want to train for self protection.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 am

Ace Ventura wrote:Where it gets confusing is that lots of people say they want to do it for one thing but are training for something else. I blame the clubs to start with but people should realise at some point. As far as I can see this mainly happens when people want to train for self protection.
Ace,
by this do you mean where a club advertises itself as teaching self defense but then teaches things that are far from real world self defense?
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 am

Hi Dave

yes, exactly that.

One example, a local clubs poster for kids self potection.

Pic 1, car with guy leaning out of window talking to kid (age around 6-10)

Pic 2 Adult getting out of car, kid now standing in fighting guard

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down