Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judo etc....

+4
Mr Nobody
Nick Hughes
Ade
GOVINDA
8 posters

Go down

Judo etc.... Empty Judo etc....

Post  GOVINDA Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I've tried Bjj and Judo a few times but every time the other guys there have been seniors, I mean well versed and well heavier than me, granted its a learning curve but hard to stick at, bit like going to a boxing club and being thrown in with Amir Khan ffs, thus doing nowt for ones confidence, should I stick at it or pussy out......maybe get some combats and do sexy krav maga ?
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Judo etc.... Empty Re: Judo etc....

Post  Ade Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Have you spoken to the club head(s) about it?

Allowances should be made for beginners.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm

That's a tough one mate. Are you really the only beginner in the whole club? I'd do one of two things. I'd either get a mate to go with me and then there will be two of you in the same boat or, alternatively, maybe ask the instructor about a couple of private lessons so you've got something to work on.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 pm

That is a tough one. Sticking it out will mean you will eventually get better but if you're constantly getting owned during sparring then are you really benefiting?

As for the combat pants....everyone knows that wearing combat ANYTHING makes you a better, more legitimate fighter who demands to be taken seriously and is someone who should not be trifled with lest they get round house kicked in the teeth.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  JKA Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 am

Stick with it.

JKA

JKA

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:04 am

"Sorry, mate. This is only my third class. Would you mind showing me how you just did that?"
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:59 am

It depends on the people beating you imo, if they beat you then run around high fiving their mates then go elsewhere but if they beat you then mention something you did well and explain how they beat you and what you perhaps could have done to prevent it then you have found judo gold.

Getting beaten all the time isn't fun but you will learn far more that way and you will soon find you have become far better than you imagine. It can be demoralising of course and only you can decide if you can live with that.

Of course it also depends on why you are training. Are you training to learn and become the best you can be, in which case stick at it or are you training mainly to enjoy yourself in which case find somewhere more fun.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Something else I'd mention is that you might not think you're getting better because the guys above you continue to improve also.

In other words I saw guys come to karate and they kept comparing themselves to guys in class who were also improving. It's not till 6 months later when you mix it up with someone who's never trained that you realize how good you have become.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 am

Good point Nick, I should have mentioned that
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 am

surely the point of any and every martial arts club is for people to train and learn.

If you are a a club where you constantly get beaten, without the benefit of the seniors explaining the
move, how to hold, grip, change your balance, disrupt your opponent etc, then whats the use?

They are there to teach, not simply train

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down