Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emil Zátopek: Morris Mindset

2 posters

Go down

Emil Zátopek: Morris Mindset Empty Emil Zátopek: Morris Mindset

Post  Luciano Imoto Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:29 am

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

"Essentially, we distinguish ourselves from the rest. If you want to win something, run the 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."

"I was not talented enough to run and smile at the same time."

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."

Upon winning: "But it was the finest exhaustion I've ever felt."

"Why should I practice running slow? I already know how to run slow.
I want to learn to run fast."

"A runner must run with dreams in his heart, not money in his pocket."

"To boast of a performance which I cannot beat is merely stupid vanity.
And if I can beat it that means there is nothing special about it."

"What has passed is already finished with.
What I find more interesting is what is still to come."

"We forget our bodies to the benefit of mechanical leisure. We act continuously with our brain, but we no longer use our bodies, our limbs. It is the Africans who possess this vitality, this muscular youth, this thirst for physical action which we are lacking. We have a magnificent motor at our disposal, but we no longer know how to use it."

"There is a great advantage in training under unfavorable conditions. It is better to train under bad conditions, for the difference is then a tremendous relief in a race."

"You can't climb up to the second floor without a ladder....When you set your aim too high and don't fulfill it, then your enthusiasm turns to bitterness.
Try for a goal that's reasonable, and then gradually raise it."

"If you come to think of it, you never see deer, dogs and
rabbits worrying about their menus and yet they run much faster than humans."
Emil Zatopek

Mr. Morris,

The quotes above was the reason because I like too much your approach.
You put the willpower (determination, attitude, mindset, intention) in first place and all the rest following it.
Emil Zatopek was an athlete of your age and men like he always inspire us, even after his passing.
Do you can comment any thing about Mr. Zatopek and his influence over you? I ask this because Zatopek was a first athlete to use "interval training" and you recommends about it in your method too. The same about handcap drills and non-comfort lifestyle because the mind and body adapt to both comfort and deprivation.

More quotes:
"After all those dark days of the war, the bombing, the killing, the starvation, the revival of the Olympics was as if the sun had come out....I went into the Olympic Village and suddenly there were no more frontiers, no more barriers. Just the people meeting together. It was wonderfully warm. Men and women who had just lost five years of life were back again."
Zatopek about the 1948 London Olympics.

When asked about his tortured expression during races,
Emil Zatopek said, "It is not gymnastics or ice skating you know."

"There are three things worth living for:
American luxury, Japanese women and Chinese food,"
Emil Zatopek said, joking.

"When I was young, I was too slow. I thought I must learn to run fast by practicing to run fast, so I ran 100 meters fast 20 times. Then I came back, slow,slow,slow. People said, 'Emil, you are crazy. You are training like a sprinter.'"

Emil Zatopek on Interval Training, "Everyone said, 'Emil, you are a fool!'
But when I first won the European Championship, they said: 'Emil, you are a genius!'"

"He does everything wrong but win."
Larry Snyder, Ohio State track coach, about Emil Zatopek's contorted style of running.

"Great is the victory, but the friendship is all the greater."
Luciano Imoto
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Emil Zátopek: Morris Mindset Empty Re: Emil Zátopek: Morris Mindset

Post  steve morris Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 am

Yeah, he's another one I learned about through reading my dad's books. I can't remember the name of the book, but it dealt with athletic training and the fartlek was much of the theme of the book. I incorporated interval training, particularly into my bagwork, from the mid-Seventies. Short sprints, break off, come back. I used to do those workouts for a couple of hours.

He was one of a kind. I like the quotes you've got there. He wasn't directly influential on me or my training in terms of his philosophy. But he certainly influenced those who influenced me, in the sense that I was aware of sportsmen who were promoting interval training when I was a young man.

I can see where you'd see a similarity; but people who are working towards big goals find similar ways of doing it, and they'll express their journey in similar ways. In the same way, when I read books like Musashi's Five Rings, I felt a sense of kinship. It isn't just an academic understanding, there's an empathy. I read technical analysis of his work, but it's just that. It isn't a direct experience of his work. When I read it, I felt that it spoke to me personally.

As a side point, Musashi had a great problem transmitting his system, because people were no longer fighting. The thing was becoming very ritualized, and so what he said needed to be translated into combat in order to be fully realized. The kata doesn't give you the experience.

If you've had that 'battlefield' experience, and the kata is true (which many of them are not), then the kata can act as a reflection of combat. But if you haven't had the battlefield experience, it's just a dance. Puppets on strings, I think somebody once said--might have even been Musashi.

But I'll have more to say about kata in my extended response thread...
steve morris
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks to much Mr. Morris,
I will never forgive myself if I get lost any chance to train directly with you in near future.
Sincerely,

Luciano Imoto

P.S.: please, in short I will send my video performance (include that round kick clinic).
Luciano Imoto
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down