Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourist Blog.

+2
Sean M
Dave Mc
6 posters

Go down

Tourist  Blog. Empty Tourist Blog.

Post  Dave Mc Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:47 am

Hi Nick

I try and not stick out like a sore thumb while travelling but still have a problem with which type of Jacket to wear for carrying all my documents etc you need now a days.
I used to carry a bum bag or( fanny pack out there) but don’t now due to them being snatched.
I have been wearing a short sleeve jacket North face with loads of pockets on it.
Looks like a fishing jacket, but have started to wonder if this stuck out, in certain countries.
What do you do yorself.

Dave McC
Dave Mc
Dave Mc

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Tourist  Blog. Empty Re: Tourist Blog.

Post  Sean M Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:11 am

Sorry for butting in Nick. Personally I really like cargo pants when I'm travelling them leg pockets are very handy.
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Johan Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:23 am

Sean M wrote:Sorry for butting in Nick. Personally I really like cargo pants when I'm travelling them leg pockets are very handy.

Hi Sean,

be careful with those pants: my wallet was stolen out of a side pocket in the subway. Didn't feel a thing.

Johan

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:30 am

I'm with Sean on this...if I'm dressing down. Cargo pants are great and Columbia makes some that can be turned into shorts if you're going where it's hot.

Link here..

http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=AM8231!008&csurl=%2Fistar%2Easp%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D32%26class%3D02%26manufacturer%3D008%26

My other favourite was a traditional blue blazer. Worn with jeans it's dressy enough for air travel and getting into more upscale eateries etc and they're ubiquitous pretty much wherever you go in the world.

It's not dark enough for my liking but 511 have recently come out with a VIP blazer with tons of pockets...great piece of kit.

http://www.ee33.co.uk/Clothing-and-Footwear/5.11-Tactical-Clothing-and-Footwear/5.11-Tactical-Clothing/511-Undercover--VIP-Blazer--Long/p-122-123-151-342/

Hope those help mate

PS: Sorry, don't know why those links aren't popping up...looks like you'll have to cut and paste.[url][/url][url]
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Mc Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks for that guys.

Dave McC
Dave Mc
Dave Mc

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:28 am

Links sorted Nick.

Pete
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:51 am

Rohan and Nike ACG do a great range of 'active/travel' clothing, with an abundance of well-placed extra pockets. A big plus with these brands is that you don't look too much like a stereotypical security contractor, which in some countries is a good thing!

At certain times, Heathrow can resemble a 5.11/North Face fashion show!

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:40 am

Yep, good point digger. One of my upcoming blogs is about not wearing tactical or military gear overseas. There was a bunch of peace corps kids killed years ago in Africa wearing clothes they bought from a military surplus because they were mistaken for mercenaries.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean M Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:12 am

Another thought. If you're going somewhere where you will need a coat of any description, you can buy a cheap 3 in 1 coat from millets or any other outdoor store nowadays for around £30 with a handy map pocket. Ideal for storing documents etc.

As long as you stick to normal walking / outdoors kit you should avoid looking like military.
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:32 am

Lol

I always stand out when I travel, partially because I stand out at home because of what I wear.

I once got mistaken for a jew whilst walk through Ashington (my home town) and had to stare down a chav in nottingham cos he was going to make fun of the famous Jagunco Trilby.

When I go abroad I normaly wear clothes I would normally wear at home, taking the climate into consideration. Normally jeans and shirt and me denim jacket (which because of the amout of badges I stuck on it makes me really stand ut but in a 'he's poor lave him be' way Very Happy lol! )

If I can't get away with the jacket I did go for cargo pockets but I found some with zips on he pockets. When in Jeans my important stuff is always in hip pockets (passport wallet)

I also make a point to put emergency cash in my hold baggage and to never carry all my eggs in once basket so to speak.

Also its a good idea to make a photocopy of our passport and have a couple of them in different locations. Often you can use them instead of the real thing so you don't need to risk it outside of the hotel.

All things considered I still dress like a fool when I go anywhere home and abroad Smile no way on gods good earth anyone would mistake me for someone worth mugging.

By the way I would like to point out you can carry large Maglights in your hold luggage, they fit nicely under a hostal bed's pilow.

The last time I travbeled actually I went to a fortune teller before I went and he said I was traveling and to look after my wallet and passport. Consiquentally I kept them in my jeans pockets and used said jeans as a pillow for the entirety of my holiday when staying in hostels.

AXE
Jagunco Smile
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down