Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil...

5 posters

Go down

Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil... Empty Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil...

Post  Joshu's Dog Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Just hung my heavy bag, hung a pipe first to mount it on. So now I can work "in place" or I can work "forward drive".
And I'm liking that a lot. Laughing

The guy who sold me the heavy bag threw in a speedbag to the deal, and I hung that too (last week) and am enjoying it.

I see some definite benefits from the speedbag, attributes that it trains.
I also see some potential problems from working the speedbag.

Benefits:
Fun;
Coordination;
Speed;
Accuracy;
Getting used to throwing a barage of punches;
Fun;
Conditioning;
Teaches me to keep my hands up, rather than dropping them between punches (bad habit);
Fun;
Plus as a musician the damned thing appeals to me. It's a little violence drum.

Potential problems:

I could see a problem in that I'm practiicing hitting controlled, rather than hard. I think that's the main problem I see, but it may have a big potential in it.

I'm working on hitting hard on the heavy bag, which I hope will give me enough "hit hard" training.

What are your thoughts on using the speedbag to train attributes that are useful in a fight? Or useful in general? How would you use it, if at all?

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil... Empty Re: Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil...

Post  Sea Bass Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:51 pm

How's the heavy bag working out for you? That's a great idea and good for forward drive. How did you set it up?
Sea Bass
Sea Bass

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.myspace.com/asphaltcombatives

Back to top Go down

Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil... Empty Re: Using the Speed Bag for good, not evil...

Post  Joshu's Dog Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Sea Bass,

The heavy bag has only been up for a few hours. I have a cold so I'm not training super hard, but already I'm seeing some good in it.

I hung a 1" steel pipe (10 feet long) between two existing 4x4 posts, set in cement, that support a light lathe house (an outside shade structure we have). It's convenient to regular use, if not ideal in terms of strength, but I find that "good enough that is convenient" is better than "ideal that I won't get over to use as much". Correct measurements, pipe flanges, and lag screws did the trick.

Hung a chain over the pipe, hung the bag off the chain. Not much to it, really.

There's some give in the pipe, which may prove to be a problem after a while, and I doubt that I'll try tackling or grappling with the bag while it hangs.

But it's good for hitting. I can work "accross" the bar, and have it stay mostly in one place. Or I can work "down" the bar, driving the bar back as I advance. I'm going to post another question about stuff I'm noticing with that (different ways of hitting the bag that move it differently), but I want another day or so to play with it first so I can really formulate the question properly. One thing, and one thread, at a time. Smile

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:49 am

Nice one Josh!

Does the bag have a D-ring at the bottom? If so im curious to hear what happens if you put it close to one of the posts and secure it, maybe with some bungee. Sometimes i like a heavybag NOT to swing all over the place and that may do it.

For times when your butlers occupied preparing dinner and cant hold the bag for ya, that is...

/Narco
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Number of posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  PullupPastor Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 am

Yeah tie it down for a better pound! Cool
PullupPastor
PullupPastor

Number of posts : 1995

http://www.kiva.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Narcoleptic Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:08 am

I make a point of only "defending" against properly tied up "attackers" - and then shooting them from afar. Anything else would be...well, dangerous! Razz
Narcoleptic
Narcoleptic

Number of posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:50 am

Thread has drifted! Thread has drifted!

Trying to get back to my original question, which was:
What are your thoughts on using the speedbag to train attributes that are useful in a fight? Or useful in general? How would you use it, if at all?

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sea Bass Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:31 pm

I think that the speed bag woud be great to help develop your seal blitzing skills. May be you can hook it up with your heavy bag so you can get your forward drive going with that as well.
Sea Bass
Sea Bass

Number of posts : 240

http://www.myspace.com/asphaltcombatives

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:32 pm

I like the speed ball as a training tool.. you need hand to eye co-ordination.. but I like to let it cone CLOSE as close as possible and use some head evasion prior to hitting it..

It IS possible to over train fast and light.. but just PUNCHING it is not enough.. try getting it change direction by sticking the heel of the in the way of a return.. or even throw a back fist, or better still a side ways hammer fist

I have an expression I use .. "When the only tool you have is a hammer ... everything look slike a nail"

Paraphrase it .. "When you wear boxing gloves and have Boxer's training aids.. you think like a BOXER .."

get it?.. stop thinking BOXER... think STREET when ever you use training gear...

think street!

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down