Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your routine

4 posters

Go down

Your routine Empty Your routine

Post  Rob Mac Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Dave, just wondering what does (roughly) a weeks training involve for you? Do you still push yourself to the limit in training, or more a case of maintaining what you've got? p.s have pm'd you.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Your routine Empty Re: Your routine

Post  Rob Mac Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:54 am

Dave, have you received that p.m?
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm

No mate .. sorry no PM????

Training.. nowhere near what I used to.. partly on the advice of the doctors due to my health 'problems'. partly because I believe that psuhing yourself too much past the 'double nickel' (55 years old, and I am nearly 60) isnt beneficial

I walk a lot at a good pace, do calistenics 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes, and use the strands (expanders) regularly

My arthritis makes it a bit hard to hit the heavy bag as hard and as often as I used to or would like to do..

I do enjoy the strands and the calisthenics..

Ha Ha mind you I was talking to Stuart Cutty only last night about 'losing it' as you get older, and I felt maybe I wasnt as err?? 'Effective' in my technique as I used to be..

He made me laugh when he said "It doesnt Effing feel like it on the recieving end of your stuff) .. which I thought was nice of him.

try again with the PM or direct on
TheSDF@aol.com

cheers mate

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:23 am

Cheers, the reason I asked is chiefly because I'm interested in the longevity of training, and I know that (with all due respect) your getting close to sixty.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:34 am

sad but true mate.. Ha Ha.. where's it all gone.. I started in 1961.. zoom years flown by

yes the strange thing about the combat arts as opposed to any other pastime/sport etc, is that we seem to expect the older people to still perform great at 60, whereas no-one would seriously expect, say Boby Charlton to turn out for Man U??

but at the end of the day

WEAR AWAY .. DONT RUST AWAY!

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 am

Dave, you don't do weights or spar anymore? To be quite honest I feel it at 35!! What age did you start to slow down?
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 am

I stopped the weights when I contracted the Rheumatoid arthritis three years ago.. I was still training more or less as I always had up to then..

I was a member of a large health club.. 4 days a week doing, treadmill, weights and cross trainer..

quite genuinely I didnt really feel much different until my late 40's.. and even at 52-53 ish I would spar train and use weights etc.

However I am a great believer in the 'men grow in 7's, women in 8's' theory....
I genuinely feel that men grow in 7 year spells.. so 7-14-21-28 and so on.. by 42 you are getting slightly over the hill, at 49 it really sets in, then 56 is hard work staying fit.. so at 49 I was doing much the same as I always did .. in fact for my 50th I pushed very hard to add a touch to my strength, and got another 10kgs on my personal best bench press.. nothing really to write home about.. I went from a single with 220lbs (100kgs) up to 110Kgs about 240 lbs.. now I dont do the weights anymore so cant say what my strength is..

keep asking mate.. I am enjoying this thread

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks for that, outs me to shame a bit but it's also encouraging. Do you use any mental prep, visualising etc or are you just a very driven person. I say this because as you know many practioners have given up by their 40's.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Crittenden Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:31 am

Rob

When you come to Doncaster in april you should get here in enough time to train with Dave, he teaches sessions at my club, he is a wealth of knowledge and i agree with stu cutty he definately isnt losing it as far as how much it hurts when he hits you

Andy Crittenden

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2006-09-11

http://www.andycmartialarts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks guys ..

Ha Ha is that your way of saying "be gentle" Andy?

Mind you Andy DOES always like to 'feel'the techniques

Rob

I dont visualise any more, although I used to do a lot..
I just .. do it! .. nothing special.. I just do what I feel I need to do.. end of really
sorry its not more esoteric or 'special' I guess I just want to keep doing it for as long as I can in some capacity or other

I guess I get it from my Dad, who at 82 still comes out on the odd job with me, and always says.. "I'll stop when the vicar starts telling lies about me"

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Maybe it's a yorkshire thing, you boys aren't known for being soft. Andy, I will try and train with Dave before the fight, most definately, a bit of what he's got might rub off.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 am

Dave,

When younger I understand you did a whole load of lifting - did you ever compete?

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:37 am

Yes I did mate.. I entered both 'Strength Set/odd lifts' competitions and some strandpulling ones

I was with SAWL (Not BAWLA) and did their strength set stuff, and with the ISSA for the strands

my 'best'' lifts in competition (no laughing now Coupy)were

all in the 165 pounds class

Squat 425
Bench 205
curl 115
One arm Press. 75

I should add that SAWL (Society of Amateur Weightlifters)had a 'merit' scheme, wherebye there were certain poundages in each lift at each bodyweight class that you qualified for a merit diploma, a bronze medal, silver and gold etc
It worked well as you had something to work to..

Pullover and Press 185
Two hands DB Press 2x65lbs db's
Two hands Snatch Split.. 160
Two Hands Snatch Squat style 165
Two Hands Clean and Jerk 180
Olympic Total 505
(all the above are POUNDS not kilos .. I wish)
I also tried the Olympic bodybuilding scheme, but didnt qualify for ANYTHING..
This was a six lift total on the three Olympic lifts (there were three then) and the three strength-set lifts..these were
Press, Snatch and Clean&Jerk, Bench press, Squat and curl.. again you got 'merits for your bodyweight for the TOTAL only.. my best total was 1045 at 165.. I needed 1200 to qualify

Strands, I did 2 hands anyhow with 250
One arm PUSH, 100
Overhead Pulldown Knuckles in 120

thats my lot mate

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:00 am

"Squat 425"...that's about 193kg

that's fuc..,i mean bloody,good by anyone's standards!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:11 am

Interesting stuff mate,

I did a bit with BAWLA and NABBA, but never followed up on it, my early training was with bodybuilding type routines, but I like the 'odd' lifting stuff much more now.

Cheers,

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:19 am

Mick

I was the backstage manager for all major NABBA shows from 1969 right through 1990.. did all the Britain and Universe shows, the North West, the Europes held in the UK.. (they never invited me overseas)
I actually started as just a 'ticket ripper'in 1965, and 'progressed' to stage manager..

getting the competitors on stage in the right order in the right time was a real task I can tell you.

My first show was the 1965 North West run by Bert Loveday, my last the Mr U at wembley conference centre in 1990..

my fave over the years was Bill Pearl without doubt..

the worst were usually some of the American champs (chumps).. some were great.. some were a total pain in the arse.
John Brown had an ego that would stretch to Mars
met soem wonderful people and some real arse-holes

did you remember Louis Martin the Lifter, what a nice man, the best forearm strength I had ever seen and a great lifter

Ade I have short stocky powerful; legs mate.. I am only 5ft 7ins.. squats were never a real bind for me..
the overhead lifts were my nemesis

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down