Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burglar stabbed to death

5 posters

Go down

Burglar stabbed to death Empty Burglar stabbed to death

Post  Peter Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm

One down, lots more to go!

Salford burglar stabbed to death: Three arrested
A police officer at the house on Ethel Avenue Police received a call from the house saying a burglary was taking place

A burglar has been stabbed to death and the householder arrested on suspicion of murder after an attempted break-in at his house in Salford.

Four masked men attempted to get into a house in Ethel Avenue before midnight on Wednesday.

The stabbed man, 26, is believed to have been carried away by the other intruders as they fled, before being dumped in a street in Pendlebury.

Peter Flanagan, 57, son Neil, 29, and his son's girlfriend are being held.

The men and the 21-year-old woman are being questioned on suspicion of murder.

A 999 call was made from the house, during which the caller said four masked men were trying to break in.
Prime minister's vow

Police said the stabbed man was found on Hospital Road and died a short time later.

Ch Supt Kevin Mulligan, who heads Greater Manchester Police's Salford division, said the man suffered "at least one stab wound" during an altercation in the house involving at least one person from the address and four people breaking in.

He said he could not comment further on the injuries or the cause of death until a post-mortem examination had been carried out.

Click to play

Ch Supt Kevin Mulligan reveals details of the alleged burglary which resulted in the death of a 26-year-old man.

He also refused to comment on whether the weapon had been taken into the property by the intruder or if it belonged to the householder.

The three people with the stabbed man at the time of the incident have yet to be traced, Mr Mulligan said.

He urged them, or anyone who knows of their whereabouts, to contact Greater Manchester Police.

Prime Minister David Cameron this week vowed to bring in stronger measures to protect homeowners defending their property.

He said: "We will put beyond doubt that homeowners and small shopkeepers who use reasonable force to defend themselves or their properties will not be prosecuted."
Police at the scene A 100m cordon has been put in place around the terraced house

When asked about whether householders should be able to defend themselves, Mr Mulligan said: "Within the existing legal framework, you can use reasonable force to protect yourself - the emphasis on reasonable."

"I don't see it as my position to speculate on possible legislation in the future," he added.

He urged people who thought they were being burgled to contact police.

Police have put up a 100m cordon around the terraced house in Pendlebury, which backs on to open scrubland.

Mr Mulligan said: "I can reassure the community that we will thoroughly investigate what happened last night and do not believe that members of the public are at risk.

"I would urge anyone who knows something to speak to officers from the major incident team and anyone else who has other concerns can speak to my officers, who will be providing an increased presence to provide the community with reassurance."

Burglar stabbed to death
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Burglar stabbed to death Empty Re: Burglar stabbed to death

Post  Ade Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Should be interesting when the whole story comes out.I'm assuming the stabbing will be claimed to be "reasonable force".
This may well be a benchmark case i think.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Guess we'll see if they can prove self defence.

Most burglars carry jemmy's, screwdrivers and other tools for entering properties anyway so the homeowner could always argue he was challenged by someone with a weapon.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake331 Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 am

I think there is more to this than a simple burglary. Some reports are saying the stabbed guy was part of a gang of four men wearing balaclavas

It is understood the man was attempting to get into a house in Ethel Avenue, Salford, on Wednesday night when the householder tried to defend the house.

The man, 26, is believed to have been carried away by other members of a balaclava-clad gang as they fled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13885457

doesnt sound like a run of the mill burglary to me, maybe something a little more "personal"

Jake331

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake331 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 am

This makes more sense now

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1424790_salford-intruder-death-stabbed-raider-may-have-gone-to-wrong-address

Detectives investigating a break-in at a house in which an intruder was stabbed to death say it wasn’t a random, opportunistic burglary.

They believe the break-in by a gang of four men was intended to be a targeted attack – but that the gang may have got the wrong address.

Jake331

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

Jake331 wrote:
This makes more sense now

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1424790_salford-intruder-death-stabbed-raider-may-have-gone-to-wrong-address

Detectives investigating a break-in at a house in which an intruder was stabbed to death say it wasn’t a random, opportunistic burglary.

They believe the break-in by a gang of four men was intended to be a targeted attack – but that the gang may have got the wrong address.

Imagine you hate someone enough to break into their house and hurt or kill them. How stupid would you have to be to get the wrong address?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down