Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goshin kai and Abbe Sensei

+5
David Turton
Jake331
Rob.Brown
scuddy
techman
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Goshin kai and Abbe Sensei - Page 2 Empty Re: Goshin kai and Abbe Sensei

Post  Alun Williams Mon May 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words Gavin and congratulations on a superb 5th kyu grading yesterday.

The guys and I always look forward to the drive to London each month and its a pleasure to instruct such a great bunch of enthusiastic guys - Keep up the great work, its paying off!

Al
Alun Williams
Alun Williams

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-04-05

http://www.totalbodydefence.com

Back to top Go down

Post  marksj Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Dave,

Many thanks. Its good to be here. You're actually responsible for my interest in Goshin. You talked about it so much on the GT forum, I was desperate to find a teacher, and then found Dave. I'm pleased that you think his Goshin is authentic. It hurts even more than your SDF seminars. I don't suppose you've heard anything from Stuart Rider? I tried to contact him before I left Scotland, but didn't hear anything back.

Fraze - I'm intrigued that you mentioned Judo as part of your training. I have a few years experience of Judo, and I've discussed Judo at length with sensei Baker. As far as I'm aware, sensei Warfield never taught Judo as part of Goshin. Is this an addition? Which throws have you been taught?

I'd love to come along on the 19th, but unfortunately I'm away then. Could you please let me know when the sessions after that are?

Regards,

Mark

marksj

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm

OK .. first JOHN Warfield didnt do much Judo per se in his Goshinkwai, but GORDON Warfield did.

you have to remember that a great deal of Goshinkwai was and is the application of PRINCIPLES as opposed to techniques.
This means most high grades will be very individual and personal in their interpretations of the Goshinkwai principles.

my Goshinkwai was and is different to others such as Mike Gould, Jeff Keen, Bob Taylor, and Dave Baker

there is some confusion also via the 'name' there is a Judo kata called Goshin-no Kata

Stu Rider is back in Bromley following his divorce, but (sadly) he is no lomger a part of either my SDF or my ASMAA

cheers

dave

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alun Williams Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Mark

The judo throws Fraze referred to were just a couple of sweep take downs used in a warm up I did for the class - throws are rarely used in Goshinkwai

Please drop me a mail me for future dates and give my regards to Kracken when you see him.
Alun Williams
Alun Williams

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-04-05

http://www.totalbodydefence.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraze Thu May 26, 2011 7:11 am

Sorry Mark, should have made that clear about the throws/sweeps. As Alun said they really were just part of the warm up.

Hope to see you at one of the sessions in the future.

Fraze

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  marksj Sat May 28, 2011 4:34 am

Hi Guys,

many thanks to all for the clarification.

Dave, thanks for the info, especially on Stuart. That news really saddened me.

Alun, thanks and I'll email you in due course,

Regards,

Mark

marksj

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 am

Gordon and John were encouraged to develop their own system of un-armed combat. Master Abbe asked them to demonstrate their style while he was performing at a course in South Wales. Following the exhibition he awarded them their Shodan (1st Dan) grades.
When it came time to name their art, Master Abbe helped them choose the name Goshinkwai.
Master Abbe gave the brothers the single entitlement to teach self defense under the name Goshinkwai, a great honour.

The tradition seems to carry on.

I never really graded in msc or really any other system, even though I've been training over 30 years. So Dave suggested I develop my own system I could grade my students in. So I did.

As with the Warfields situation, I came up with a name, but then Dave helped me improve it. So the end result is now Haka Waza, which means 'Techniques of destruction'.

I teach my system now. And one of my students, who's been training rbsd for about 15 years, says I'm the best instructor he's ever trained with.

And he's trained with some pretty big names.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum