Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

+5
Nick Hughes
Rob.Brown
geerarffe
David Turton
SecIBu
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts - Page 2 Empty Re: Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

Post  SecIBu Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:12 am

WOW!! What a to-do about nowt!

My OP is for factual information purposes only, for those who are searching for information regarding Norman Grundy, nothing more, nothing less!

Of course there are those for whom this information is of no importance or interest, however with all due respect, this info is of interest to others, for is that not what we are all on here for? to share and search for information that is of interest to ourselves, so we can gain knowledge and to learn from each other?

There was no disrespect intended to anyone either past or present in any of MY posts, however the facts are the facts, take em or leave em!!!

Regards

SecIBu

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts - Page 2 Empty Re: Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

Post  David Turton Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:19 pm

well I for one am always grateful for more knowledge about past greats, and Norman Gyurndy was certainly one of them

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mills Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello all.

I was using google to try & locate my old friend & instructor Phil Giles & it led me here for some reason. I was his so called stella pupil at the Castle hotel Queen street in the early 80's. Well I think i was his star as I was his personal punchbag for bloody 3 years to the point I would throw up each night for being tossed about the dojo for 2 hours solid. Basketball

From recollection at the "Queens hotel" Queen st I remember being told on joining aged 12 the Scarborough institute of Budo was a school & not a club. If you wanted a club f#ck off & do Shotokan or whatever was the bye word. The club on seamer road run by the Murphy's was much the easier option but certainly nothing to do with the ippon institute of budo. Lol.

To add a bit to your history, (soz i dont know you) Phil at the time a newly promoted 2nd dan went to Belize on contract refrigeration work in early 83 & I personally ran & instructed what was left of the school up to its closing point in sept 83. Others in the school at the time were Wesley Whiting, Andrew Eaman & Peter Lowes (a doorman). Classes in the early 80's were generally never big as most potential students were put off by the feroscity of things. I was graded at the time 1st kye in what phil reffered to as 'Military Tae kwon Do' & 1st Kye in Aikido. This was with the then 'World Korean Karate Jutsu Federation' & 'UK All Style Self Defence Association' that phil had associated himself with. Roger did some of the earlier gradings in 81 & 82.

The closing of the school just prior to my joining the Armed Forces at 16 was with a martial Arts demo us students put on in the function room of the hotel that me Andy & Wes organised. Phil was still abroad.

During my first leave from being a squaddie Phil graded me 1st dan but I was later then told that he did not have alledgedly the rank as a 2nd dan to give it to me by people associated with Murphy & Seamer rd. I think but not certain this person was Thompson. Sounds vaguely familair. If he is the guy that lived on prospect rd then it was as I was invited to his house for a cuppa in a poaching exercise. I remember being told i would have to be regraded from the start as i had not been taught the patterns or katas due ours being military / self defence only. Phil always thought doing a load of moves on the floor on your own was a bit puff. Laughing Laughing

Anyway i just got pissed off with all the politics of who does & who does not recognise whoever as a bad joke & concentrated on an army career of 12 years that involved my being a PT Instructor with Airborne Forces for 8 years.

So now I waffled all this shit could someone please tell me how to contact Phil Giles so i can get in touch with an old friend. best regards

Sean

Sean Mills

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Sent you a message mate.

geerarffe

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SecIBu Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:05 am

Hiya Sean,

Thank you for your post, much appreciated. I have sent you a PM.

Your name is documented as part of my heritage so its really great you've got in touch.

Best Regards

SecIBu

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Giles Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

SecIBu recently posted FACTS regarding the Institute of Budo (IOB) Scarborough and Norman Grundy, which I can confirm are correct. There were some replies which seemed nonsense to me? However, it was nice to read Sean’s post at the end.

Sean mentioned Military Tae Kwan Do (note the spelling). Well this was another part of the IOB linage. Roger Grundy will tell you more about this period as he trained (along with John Waterson) with C K Chang, at the Ippon, Huntress Row, Scarborough. However, Norman and Peter Jaconelle brought over C K Chang in the late 1960’s, who was then a Tae Kwan Do (Military) master. This was not the TKD you see today, this was simple, brutal and effective, and also incorporated locks and throws similar to Jiu Jitsu and Judo. This is why Norman Grundy liked it so much, and were able to complement other arts we practiced. I have some original black and white photos given to me by Norman of a demonstration they did in Scarborough with Chang.

Sean is almost right with his dates and my job. I actually worked with the DOE / PSA (government service dept) at RAF Fylingdales (near Whitby) specializing in radar cooling systems, and then transferred in 1983 to HQ British Forces, Belize, as Technical Officer to work directly with the Army.

If I were you Sean I wouldn’t worry about the legitimacy of your black-belt, I was promoted 2nd Dan by Norman Grundy in 1982, and have full documentary evidence. In addition, Roger also endorsed you black-belt.

Sean, please contact me.

Regards

Phil

Phil Giles

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

Sean Mills wrote:Hello all.

I remember being told on joining aged 12 the Scarborough institute of Budo was a school & not a club. If you wanted a club f#ck off & do Shotokan or whatever was the bye word.

If You Dont Mind Me Asking Whats Wrong With Sotokan Karate?
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2