Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please

3 posters

Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please

Post  Rob.Brown Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 am

Now i have got back into training after a six year break i thought i might train with my old Sensei Jim Walker 6th Dan who graded me to 3rd dan in 2000 but things have moved on and there are new faces around.
i will be meeting up for a six hour training day in sheffield but would like to know if anyone knows or has trained with:

- Reiner Parsons 6th Dan Karate
- Jim Walker 6th Dan Kyushindo/Aikijujutsu
- Kevin Morgan 5th Dan Jujutsu
- Colin Hutchinson 5th Dan Judo
- Craig Bailey 5th Dan Kyushindo/Aikijujutsu
- Simon Keegan 4th Dan Karate
- David Keegan 4th Dan Tai Chi

They maybe others, i only know Jim Walker and i hope he is showing some stuff, who knows they might ask me Very Happy
will report back what it was like, its this sunday.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Re: Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please

Post  Rob.Brown Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 am

Rob.Brown wrote:Now i have got back into training after a six year break i thought i might train with my old Sensei Jim Walker 6th Dan who graded me to 3rd dan in 2000 but things have moved on and there are new faces around.
i will be meeting up for a six hour training day in sheffield but would like to know if anyone knows or has trained with:

They maybe others, i only know Jim Walker and i hope he is showing some stuff, who knows they might ask me Very Happy

Well could not train today because i had my little girl to look after because my girlfriend works weekends and could not get time off, so me and the little one went to watch.
I meet a few instructors which came across to me friendly, there was a good turn out and the mood in the room was happy.
The groups was split into six with five mats down with different styles shown, i wish i had trained but will next for sure.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Re: Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please

Post  David Turton Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Pity about that mate

we hold plenty of seminars in Doncaster, not many miles from sunny Donny

you are more than welcome on any of them

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:53 pm

David Turton wrote:Pity about that mate

we hold plenty of seminars in Doncaster, not many miles from sunny Donny

you are more than welcome on any of them

Nice one dave, when is the next one, how much, and where as in the address. do i get a photo of me and you Embarassed lol Laughing please
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty course

Post  Simon Keegan Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 am

Rob.Brown wrote:Now i have got back into training after a six year break i thought i might train with my old Sensei Jim Walker 6th Dan who graded me to 3rd dan in 2000 but things have moved on and there are new faces around.

Hello Rob,
Glad you could make it to the course, if only as a spectator.

I also noticed that on this forum in the past, Mr Turton has mentioned Norman Grundy, student of Kenshiro Abbe.

I quote: "The late Norman Grundy .. (someone should make a film about this guy.. he was an incredible man).. from Scarborough.. certainly did teach the 'good stuff'. I met Norm a couple of times.. what a bloody character. And I think 'Spud' Murphy from Seamer Budo Club (nr Scarborough) also did."

Reference the above, Jim Walker and Craig Bailey's instructor Fred Hill were taught by the late Norman Grundy and what was very nice was that when Jim was presented his 6th Dan a few years ago, Norman Grundy's son Roger signed the certificate.

Colin Hutchinson, our Judo chief instructor was also taught by Kevin Murphy and Norman Grundy (I guess this is the Spud Murphy you mention in the quote above).

Just thought I'd include that bit of trivia!

Hope you enjoyed the course. I'm sure Craig will let you know when the next one is.

Best wishes
Simon Keegan
TEMAA Chairman
UKBF Director

Simon Keegan

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

Hi Simon

Yes i thought it looked well, i hear theres one in the summer at the same place Ron & Sue who i train with and some others want to come on the next one.
I trained at Sensei Craig Bailey`s Dojo at Worksop best 40 miles drive i have had in years got back home for 11.45pm after 2 hours of dieing must have lost about 2 stone, nice guy, nice club.

anyone who around worksop should drop in SPOT ON Laughing
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Craig

Post  Simon Keegan Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am

Yep, Craig is a class act. Absolutely superb Aikido skills and his knife defences are spectacular. His lads train very hard for their grades.

We usually have our summer course up in Scarborough, so stay tuned and hope to see you then. As you saw from the weekend there can be anything from Tai Chi to MMA to Muay Thai to Judo. All decent instructors, no egos, just good training and good craic in the "office" afterwards.

Cheers again

Simon

Simon Keegan

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 am

thanks Simon

yes thats the 'Spud Murphy'

I trained many times at Seamer Budo club

Grundy was top class, and Murphy wasnt too shabby either

glad there are still people around who remember Norman Grundy, I rated him very highly indeed

the mention of Kenshiro Abbe is great.. Abbe was the originator of our system through the Warfield brothers many decades ago

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Grundy/Murphy

Post  Simon Keegan Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks Dave,

I believe Norman Grundy also trained under some of England's turn-of-the-century Jujutsu pioneers like William "Apollo" Garrud and Raku Uyenishi, but from his students and their students that I have met, Kenshiro Abbe seems to be the main influence.

The Ippon Judo club in Scarborough where Murphy taught and Grundy guest-taught was quite historic. Millionaire icecream magnate and lord mayor of Scarborough Peter Jaconelli funded courses with the likes of Kenshiro Abbe and in 1960 the club hosted the UK's first Karate summer school when Tetsuji Murikami, Vernon Bell and Terry Wingrove came up from Essex.

Kevin Murphy went on to become the UK Director of Japan's oldest martial arts association Kokusai Budoin (IMAF) back when the great Budo master Minoru Mochizuki was running the show in Europe. Mochizuki awarded Murphy 7th Dan Kyoshi - the only Englishman to receive this award.

When Murphy left IMAF he was succeeded as UK Director by one of his early Birmingham students Dave Wareing and as UK Secretary by one of his Scarborough students Colin Hutchinson.

In 2005 there was something of a schism within IMAF, and that's how Colin and I set up the United Kingdom Budo Federation (originally IMAF GB) which is still the governing body for our association TEMAA.

You'd be very welcome to teach on one of our courses, Dave and I'm sure you, Colin, Craig and Jim would get on great. As well as our recent courses in Worksop and Stocksbridge we usually have decent gatherings in Scarborough and Manchester.

Best wishes
Simon Keegan
(4th Dan Karate/Jujutsu)

Simon Keegan

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 am

thanks Simon ...I remeber Mochizuki and his son Hiroo?
I was a member of IMAF for a short while...

I would be delighted to come and teach.. if you think my stuff would be appreciated by your guys

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty Mochizuki

Post  Simon Keegan Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:17 am

Cheers Dave
I'll send you details of our next course.
Re: Mochizuki, now Hiroo's sons Mitchi and Kyoshi are teaching too (about 5th Dan off the top of my head) and one of them has sons who train too! Keeping it in the family.
Thanks
Simon

Simon Keegan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Big thanks to yourself simon and pass my thanks on to your dad i have now made contact with Jim with help from the last in our chain Craig, will be training with him and meeting up with Jim on Monday.
Looking forward to both, thanks again.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty correction

Post  Simon Keegan Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 am

Jim Walker has asked me to point out an error in a previous post:

Ippon Judo club was run by Norman Grundy not Kevin Murphy

I'd also point out that Kevin Murphy was not the first Judo or Jujutsu 7th Dan in England or otherwise, rather the first one to receive this grade (in England) FROM Minoru Mochizuki.

Cheers

Simon Keegan

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 am

I always believed E.J.(Ernest John) Harrison author of a corking book ... "The Fighting Spirit of Japan" was the first englishman to be awarded a black belt

I am always open to be proven wrong though ... E.J. was awarded his in the late 1880's

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Training this weekend with U K Budo Federation Info Please Empty black belt

Post  Simon Keegan Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:05 am

Yes, I think you are correct.

EJ Harrison was the first Brit to be awarded black belt in Judo.

I think EW Barton Wright was probably the first Brit to study Jujutsu at any length.

Vernon Bell was the first Brit to be awarded black belt in Karate (from Hiroo Mochizuki) and Charles Mack was the first Brit to be awarded black belt in Karate actually in Japan.

I think Ken Williams was the first Brit to be awarded black belt in Aikido - which brings us back to Kenshiro Abbe!

With my point about Kevin Murphy I was strictly referring to receiving the award of Kyoshi from Minoru Mochizuki.

Last edited by Simon Keegan on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ad on)

Simon Keegan

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 am

yep .. cant argue with that .. thanks

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down