Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bar room scenario for you Nick.

3 posters

Go down

A bar room scenario for you Nick. Empty A bar room scenario for you Nick.

Post  WhatThe... Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:49 am

A hypothetical scenario at you if I could please Nick?

A bloke’s in a pub. He’s standing in the middle of the room amongst other people who are both standing and sitting (there’s tables, chairs etc). Another male approaches the bloke slightly in a hurry and has that unfriendly look about him. The stranger starts talking, and it’s not straight out aggressive, but it’s got that doubtful feel about it. Assume that he stops initially at about, or just outside kicking range, and there’s no table or chair in between them.

How would you suggest the original bloke tackles things? For the scenario, let’s assume there’s no quick, easy way out of the immediate location.

I know there are lots of pros and cons, and it’s best to avoid a conflict etc. But I’m interested in what you’d suggest for the original guy, in particular body language wise ie. where should the original bloke’s hands be at various distances as the stranger approaches, stops, and then when the stranger looks to move into the original guy’s personal space (ie too close).

Apologies for all the words, but it’s a scenario most guys face at one time or other.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

A bar room scenario for you Nick. Empty Re: A bar room scenario for you Nick.

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 am

What the...

Mate, the problem with questions like these are the amount of variables that pop up...

Are any of the people our bloke is standing amonst his friends? Are any friends with the stranger? What's the respective size of the two protagonists involved? Is one or the other a bouncer?

We could change all of those around and get completely different responses every time.

However, keeping it simple and assuming it's only two guys and neither is working and they're both the same size or so then the average guy should turn to face the guy who's approaching (I personally wouldn't...I used to favour standing right side on and using a side kick as my opening move, only switching to front foot roundhouse kicks once a fight was underway) and get his hands up. (I'd imagine he's got a drink in his hand? I'd have him keep that and if it went to blows begin by tossing the drink in the other guy's face)

It all boils down to conflict management which really isn't going to change much wherever it takes place. I.e. there's not going to be much difference - face the guy, get your hands up, don't let him get too close - whether this was in the pub in your scenario, at an ATM waiting for it to spit out my money, or outside my car arguing with someone over a parking space. Where it would radically differ is when you bring context into play.

I.e. Am I confronted with an angry woman, an angry guy or an angry mob of outlaw bikers. Is someone armed? Are there witnesses. The instant we introduce those everything will unravel differently.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JongleurWA Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 am

Here's a good one for you... how many drinks have I (you) had ??

JongleurWA

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Nick Hughes wrote: I'd have him keep that and if it went to blows begin by tossing the drink in the other guy's face)

Which means ordering different drinks depending on where you are. In a potentially volatile place always order "beer" and order it in a mug. Have your drinks and then order one more that you will cart around nursing to keep it as full as possible. Now instead of tossing a drink in someones face you have a fairly heavy weapon.....with a handle!!! Laughing

When seated make sure you learn the drink glass/bottle scoop that gets the glass/bottle from the bar to opponents face in one smooth swipe!!! Trouble while seated at the bar? Keep your hand on the glass. Wink

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down