Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WW2 Combatives Training NYC!!!

+2
Ron Evans
zenshin
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

WW2 Combatives Training NYC!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: WW2 Combatives Training NYC!!!

Post  Guest Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 am

Ron Evans wrote:Dave Collins,

If you want to train get in touch with me.
I'm not that far away,and it would be free.
If background is important to you -
Well,I've got one of those too!

Ron.

I'm interested, Ron! (since in about a month work should slacken off considerably)

What's your background? (BTW, I haven't got one!)

Back to top Go down

WW2 Combatives Training NYC!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: WW2 Combatives Training NYC!!!

Post  Ron Evans Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 am

PM'd.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2006-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Baggio Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 am

Hey Matt,

Would you be able to give us an insight into your approach towards Close Quarters Combat, if you have time? Unfortunately I missed some your articles in B.B. magazine.

Dang...wish I lived in New York... Smile

Thanks,

Rob.

Baggio

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:02 am

Matt. Do you teach the "drop step?" I was always led to believe that it formed part of the WW2 training but, recently, have seen others state that it was not and has been added in later. Any comments?

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Temkin Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Here is a basic outline that I use...

Hand To Hand Combat For Law Enforcement.

Topics...

1) Purpose of the course is simply survival, with no attempt at teaching controlling tactics or non lethal techniques (or at least potentionly lethal techniques)

2) Principles of distancing and closing the gap via intercepting and the drop step.
Also covered positioning for both attack and defense.

3) Tigers claw.

4) Knee kick with forward drive.
Advancing knee kick drill. Followed by tiger claw/knee kick combinations.

5) Chin Jab with combinations.

6) Thumb gouge, cupped hand clout and Y of hand blow.

7) Edge of hand blows from various angles.

Cool Various combinations with all blows.

9) Elbow jabs...up close and with a drop step

10) Using two techniques to break front hold.

11) Breaking front bear hug with arms pinned.

12) Breaking rear holds.

13) Pistol disarming.

14) Simple combat throws with combinations and finishing moves.

This would take about 8 hours or so and in a second day I would add knife/stick fighting and knife defense.
My approach is to keep things as simple as possible with the minimal amount of techniques.
As to the drop step..Carl readily admits that it was something that he added after reading some books by Jack Dempsy.
I teach it because it is my experience that under stress one will do it automaticly, so why not explain what may happen and how to use it to one's advantage?

Matthew Temkin

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2007-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Baggio Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info' Matt, great stuff!

I think your spot on about the "drop step", I found myself using all the time after watching Cestari's OS series. It's seems the best way to set up a preemptive strike, with a heck of a lot of power (which I'm still trying to develop Smile).

All the best,

Rob.

Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Matt,

What do you mean by an 'elbow jab' exactly?

I'm assuming that it is different from your everday 'elbow strike' a la Muay Thai.

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Temkin Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Dave..it is kind of hard to explain.
Start with your body sideways to the target and just snap the inside of your fist to about chin level, which places your elbow between you and the bad guy.
It is a good way to intercept and attack.

Matthew Temkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baggio Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

It's a great move against someone who is just about to come in for some kind of grab or hold. As they move in, you raise up the elbow; it's very fast and comes out of nowhere.

B.

Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Temkin Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:07 am

Yes..but it snaps in with authority.
If there is a split second it can be combined with a drop step and a lunge.
or it can be just snapped up in a defensive situation.

Matthew Temkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baggio Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:23 am

Was it one of Pat O'Neill's moves from his WW.II curriculum? (who was from cork I believe Smile).

Also, was Carl the first instructor to integrate the "drop step" into Combatives curriculum?

Thanks,

R.

Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron Evans Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 am

Are we going somewhat off topic here?

Shouldn't the last few posts be in the Self Protection section? Question
Ron Evans
Ron Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Baggio Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Ron,

I don't think were veering off topic at all to be honest. As this thread is about Matt Temkin's WWII Combatives training (even if it is in NY). Matt has very kindly posted what he teaches for law enforcement and some training experiences with Mr. Cestari. So personally, I see it as very relevant to this thread.

It is very nice of him to take the time to post, as I'm sure he's very busy.

All the best,

Rob.

Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron Evans Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:26 am

Perhaps you could read again the titles to each of the forums?

Allow those less likely to click on 'The Bazaar' to participate,perhaps.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Bec Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Guys,

I moved the original post into the Bazaar as this is the place to post details of upcoming seminars etc.

As I see it a few questions arose about that training which Matt has very kindly came on board and answered, we have no problem with that of course if anyone wishes to start another thread in the self protection or general forum to ask other questions of Matt that would also be fine.

Alan

Alan Bec

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Temkin Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I will be happy to share my knowledge of armed and unarmed combat here or on any other forum,.
For the record..Mr. Evans ( who has very impressive credentials, BTW) is a part of Geoff Todd's group.
Geoff Todd..who I have not seen since 1992.. has taken a disliking to me and I get some "attitudes" from his students/instructors on forums from time to time.
No doubt this explains the hostility shown to me by Mr. Evans.
So take this FWIW and allow us to move on.
PS..here is a link to Todd's group.
http://www.closecombatinstructors.com/close-combat-association.htm

Matthew Temkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2