Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

size matters

+11
Dave
the spaniard
mickeybluejeans
bigjon
combatnige
Steve bungle
Nick Hughes
Socrates
Peter
rasdj
Chris
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

size matters - Page 2 Empty Re: size matters

Post  rezbi Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Chris wrote:Seriously, I'm not that concerned with "losing". Not getting the result you want is not the same as failure.

Hell, I can find 100 ways how not to do something and still not be failing. It's all about the mentality behind the event.

My mental and physical responses and strength are not contingent on success or failure at a specific time. I'm larger and deeper in mind and body than the outcome of one event.

That said, fail to prepare and you prepare to fail so you have to train the attributes which give you the most chance of success.

Now.. giving up. Rolling over and quitting. That's NOT something that I ever allow myself to do.

I was referring to a real fight. Not competition on sparring.

Heck, I usually lose sparring sessions. And I've never entered competitions.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 pm

tonyk wrote:
rezbi wrote:

And I mean it. I'm not afraid to die.

I'm more afraid of losing than dying.

Have you ever come close to dying?

I've been close to other people dying. Is that good enough?

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 am

rezbi wrote:
Chris wrote:Seriously, I'm not that concerned with "losing". Not getting the result you want is not the same as failure.

Hell, I can find 100 ways how not to do something and still not be failing. It's all about the mentality behind the event.

My mental and physical responses and strength are not contingent on success or failure at a specific time. I'm larger and deeper in mind and body than the outcome of one event.

That said, fail to prepare and you prepare to fail so you have to train the attributes which give you the most chance of success.

Now.. giving up. Rolling over and quitting. That's NOT something that I ever allow myself to do.

So was I Rezbi. I have won and lost in the gym and I've won and lost outside the gym. The truth is that not every violent encounter is a life or death situation. The vast majority of social violence results in nothing more than bumps and bruises. Now, that doesn't mean I'm unaware of the potential outcome. I just maintain perspective.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 am

rezbi wrote:
tonyk wrote:
rezbi wrote:

Not really as its their experience rather than yours.Probably the closest I have come to it is in motorcycle crashes that left me unconscious but I certain wasn't scared of dying at the time as I knew little about it.I only had time to reflect afterwards.On the other hand I have found being caught in mountaineering situations to be frightening due to not really knowing what the outcome will be and having hours to reflect on it..Being afraid of losing is absurd,unless it is a sporting competition, as its just the ego talking.The body wants to survive and will do whatever it takes,including running away and "losing".mick Coup told me to leave my ego at home,Dennis Jones said the same.Good solid advice that is definately worth taking.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 am

Chris wrote:
rezbi wrote:

So was I Rezbi. I have won and lost in the gym and I've won and lost outside the gym. The truth is that not every violent encounter is a life or death situation. The vast majority of social violence results in nothing more than bumps and bruises. Now, that doesn't mean I'm unaware of the potential outcome. I just maintain perspective.

I've never been in a social violence situation because of silly misunderstandings. If it's something like that I tend to talk my way out of a fight because they're not worth it.

I'd only get into a fight if it is a life or death situation for me, or they're attacking my family. And neither of those has happened.

And, I know you might say sometimes silly situations arise, but they've never happened to me. At least not since my school days.

I'm not one to let loose because someone's hurt my ego.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 am

tonyk wrote:
rezbi wrote:
tonyk wrote:
rezbi wrote:

Not really as its their experience rather than yours.Probably the closest I have come to it is in motorcycle crashes that left me unconscious but I certain wasn't scared of dying at the time as I knew little about it.I only had time to reflect afterwards.On the other hand I have found being caught in mountaineering situations to be frightening due to not really knowing what the outcome will be and having hours to reflect on it..Being afraid of losing is absurd,unless it is a sporting competition, as its just the ego talking.The body wants to survive and will do whatever it takes,including running away and "losing".mick Coup told me to leave my ego at home,Dennis Jones said the same.Good solid advice that is definately worth taking.

I wasn't being serious.

I was about being next to the dying, but not about it being the same thing.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum