Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A step in the right direction

3 posters

Go down

A step in the right direction Empty A step in the right direction

Post  Zak Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am

Zak

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

A step in the right direction Empty Re: A step in the right direction

Post  rezbi Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 am

It's not official, yet. I hope it goes through.

We need this.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 am

It's the very and absolute LAST thing we need.

Knee jerk, political vote grabbing without a shred of thought behind it.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:02 am

For once Chris, I'd have to disagree with you.

I think it's high time the law reflected the fact that home owners are the 'victims' of crime when defending themselves in their home using 'reasonable' force.

That's not to say I believe the law should declare 'open season' on burglars but neither do I believe it is truly 'just' that decent members of the public should fear reprisal as the result of protecting themselves and their loved ones from intruders in a manner that is 'reasonable'.

I believe that - (as with anything) implemented in a sound fashion - legislation pertaining to the protection of those who act when under threat by intruders is a step in the right direction.

Take good care,

Zak

Very Happy

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 am

disagree away Zak, no worries at all.

Here is where I think we have a slightly different viewpoint.

I feel that the current legal system covers the law of self defence very well.

I can't think of any instance where a person was defending themselves in their home and was convicted, or even faced prosecution.

I have seen cases where the individual has chased someone down the street and beaten them to death. Or, opened fire on someone as they were running away from property.

At both times, neither one offered a threat to the person who took their life.

That said, my gripe with the proposal is NOT that it protects defenders in their home. My gripe with it is that is actually HINDERS them from an understanding of whether they are acting within the law or not. As it is proposed if you were to sign in a piece of legislation as per the statements made in the newspapers today then you would practically guarantee MORE defenders facing MORE questions from the police and in all likelihood more criminal charges being brought.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24 am

Chris wrote:That said, my gripe with the proposal is NOT that it protects defenders in their home. My gripe with it is that is actually HINDERS them from an understanding of whether they are acting within the law or not. As it is proposed if you were to sign in a piece of legislation as per the statements made in the newspapers today then you would practically guarantee MORE defenders facing MORE questions from the police and in all likelihood more criminal charges being brought.

Hi Chris,

to be honest, from my experience, very few people understand the law as it relates to this topic anyway, and in fact, it is this very misunderstanding that leads people - with the help of media etc - to believe they will be the ones under scrutiny if they make any attempts to tackle burglars and as such it renders them powerless in their own minds. I would imagine this legislation would highlight the fact that they can defend themselves and in fact 'clear up' the media-driven idea that YOU will be the one in the dock. I don't think it will encourage any more use of disproportionate force than the current system, but it will reassure decent folk that they can use some force which will hopefully be 'reasonable'. Don't get me wrong, as with the current system, there will be a minority who will attempt to use the law to defend un-reasonable force in similar circumstances and they will need to be addressed appropriately, and this done, I imagine would curb an influx of 'gung-ho' burglar-busters.....

It will no doubt be open to dubious interpretation occasionally but then it is now too......

Take good care,

Zak

Very Happy

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: