Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Looking For?

+3
GOVINDA
Jagunco
rezbi
7 posters

Go down

What Are You Looking For? Empty What Are You Looking For?

Post  rezbi Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 pm

When you look for a martial art, self defence system, what ever, what are you looking for?

What I mean is, what is the ultimate benefit you're seeking as a result of doing what you're doing?

If you think about this, and I mean deeply, I think you might surprise yourself with your response?

It may even make you question the system you are currently practising.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Looking For? Empty Re: What Are You Looking For?

Post  Jagunco Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:20 am

at the moment just something that will improve fitness and blow of some steam. I'm not greatly worried if its effective for no other reason that I've been mooching about RBSD enough to know what to take and what to leave, and there are always the monthly courses if you're so inclined.

Also something with a bit of dicipline and lack of pretentiousness, both of which are things I've had my fill of over the years
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 am

I used to be looking for the ultimate fighting system for self protection, so tried everything, always curious, it took me a few years, but be it maturity or apathy I realized there was/is no such thing, at present I practice no system but try to teach the curious few who want to learn what I have to teach.......tbh there are not many, everyone wants UFC or Bjj etc, which is all cool, horses for courses etc Very Happy
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Honesty .. I look for the truth behind each system and instructor..

thats is all

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

What Are You Looking For? Empty hi Rezbi

Post  krimo Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Rezbi, Wink

In the 70s and 80s Karate was very much sought after and was seen as a cure all as regards self defence. BJJ and MMA took over in the last few years and is seen as the right choice in terms of facing street fight. Correct to some extent. There are other people who still single out traditional martial arts. Well, I think the explanation to the reasons some or most of practitioners realize that the style they are practicing isn't up to street reality lies within the fact that they have undergone a 'natural' process that led them to choose to fall back on RBSD to satisfy their need to feel confident in terms of facing conflictual situations with the right weapons, a feeling they've never truely acquired during their trainings in traditional martial arts.

Other people stick to MA which is a good choice as far as these traditional styles refelect their need to further their skills and go up the grades ladder which is also a source of tremendous satisfaction. Bottom line is someone has to be aware that his choice should be in keeping with the goal he is seeking to reach. I believe that if you are after effectiveness in street confrontation, then self protection/self defence are to the specialities worth resorting to.

Krimo.

krimo

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Jagunco wrote:at the moment just something that will improve fitness and blow of some steam. I'm not greatly worried if its effective for no other reason that I've been mooching about RBSD enough to know what to take and what to leave, and there are always the monthly courses if you're so inclined.

Also something with a bit of dicipline and lack of pretentiousness, both of which are things I've had my fill of over the years

That's a good place to be.

So, based on what you know, if someone wanted to start from scratch, what would you recommend they look for?

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm

GOVINDA wrote:I used to be looking for the ultimate fighting system for self protection, so tried everything, always curious, it took me a few years, but be it maturity or apathy I realized there was/is no such thing, at present I practice no system but try to teach the curious few who want to learn what I have to teach.......tbh there are not many, everyone wants UFC or Bjj etc, which is all cool, horses for courses etc Very Happy

If there was an ultimate system, what would that consist of for you?

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

krimo wrote:I believe that if you are after effectiveness in street confrontation, then self protection/self defence are to the specialities worth resorting to.

Krimo.

And what, in your educated opinion, makes a self defence system effective for street confrontation. Keep in mind most everyone who teaches something seems to think theirs is the ultimate.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 pm

David Turton wrote:Honesty .. I look for the truth behind each system and instructor..

thats is all

True.

The problem lies in the fact that most instructors probably believe what they're teaching is the honest truth.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am

rezbi wrote:
GOVINDA wrote:I used to be looking for the ultimate fighting system for self protection, so tried everything, always curious, it took me a few years, but be it maturity or apathy I realized there was/is no such thing, at present I practice no system but try to teach the curious few who want to learn what I have to teach.......tbh there are not many, everyone wants UFC or Bjj etc, which is all cool, horses for courses etc Very Happy

Lol, thats my point, there is none, for SD purposes the Ultimate System is oneself, imo 99.9% of stuff out there is slight of hand and trickery, if we were being honest then posts like the Wagner one here would be non stop, imo the only true way to learn a SD/SP system is in a military fashion, (physical aspects).

For the rest of us its a case of, you either have the killer instinct or you don't, 99.9% who attend sd classes don't, which is why they are there, catch 22 really, I mean its cool to learn moves etc but if you don't have the balls then whats the point, obviously the point is only for the instructor (£££).

There are a lot of conflicting views out there on violence and repercussions, I myself have no views, its fight or don't fight, simples, so to answer if there was an "ultimate" it would be along the lines of my views, IE to beat the bastard on the street you have to be a bigger bastard, easier said than done mind you, but done it has to be, therefore train to be the bigger bastard, train for the short bursts of violence you need to unleash, every time you train you should be outside your comfort zone, put the pads away and feel the actual strikes/punches/kicks, its pretty simple really, its called fighting Wink
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  krimo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 am

rezbi wrote:
krimo wrote:I believe that if you are after effectiveness in street confrontation, then self protection/self defence are to the specialities worth resorting to.

Krimo.

And what, in your educated opinion, makes a self defence system effective for street confrontation. Keep in mind most everyone who teaches something seems to think theirs is the ultimate.

krimo

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 am

GOVINDA wrote:
rezbi wrote:

Lol, thats my point, there is none, for SD purposes the Ultimate System is oneself, imo 99.9% of stuff out there is slight of hand and trickery, if we were being honest then posts like the Wagner one here would be non stop, imo the only true way to learn a SD/SP system is in a military fashion, (physical aspects).

For the rest of us its a case of, you either have the killer instinct or you don't, 99.9% who attend sd classes don't, which is why they are there, catch 22 really, I mean its cool to learn moves etc but if you don't have the balls then whats the point, obviously the point is only for the instructor (£££).

There are a lot of conflicting views out there on violence and repercussions, I myself have no views, its fight or don't fight, simples, so to answer if there was an "ultimate" it would be along the lines of my views, IE to beat the bastard on the street you have to be a bigger bastard, easier said than done mind you, but done it has to be, therefore train to be the bigger bastard, train for the short bursts of violence you need to unleash, every time you train you should be outside your comfort zone, put the pads away and feel the actual strikes/punches/kicks, its pretty simple really, its called fighting Wink

+1

with the exception that always proves the rule of the guy who is capable and simply enjoys the challenge of hard training. The side effect being greater efficiency in the fight. Those are different animals to the person who goes into a self protection class looking for training to put in something that doesn't currently exist. They are a different proposition altogether.

All I can say, and keep repeating is that I love anyone who steps on the mat and trains. I respect them all no matter who they are. I absolutely loathe those who prey on the weak and insecure to sell a product which will more than likely ensure their demise rather than their success.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  krimo Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 am

Rezbi, self defence/self protection teaches very good and sensible options to avoid or confront a dangerous situation in the street. This being said, I stress that RBSD is, by no means and any rational mind would agree, providing you with 100 percent safety at all times, unless you are clad in an armoured body shield..Even the shield its no safe place to be in when face to face with an RPG... lol.

krimo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 am

It honestly depends on the person I feel.

Of course if someone is looking to defend themselves then its RBSD they want. After that its something they have to enjoy and feel fufilled doing.

For myself I really couldn't chew my way through the reality stuff week in week out and I was happy with capoeira because I'm expressive like that so I did RBSD monthly, drilled it a bit between courses and spent the vast majority of my time doing capoeira.

Nowdays STILL on the fecking mend from personal issues and in financial straights I just have an off peak membership to a gym with a punch bag. I go twice or thrice a week and knock the crap out of it and then do some resistance/cardio/whatever to keep myself ticking over somewhat. And for the moment since I have a couple of other projects in my life that's enough for me.

I'm thinking of going back into martial arts lessons towards the end of the year however and doing Filipino stuff and Muay Thai as I know a local place that I respect that does both....

All that being said there are a few things to look out for if you go looking into a class.

1) Whats the instructor like.. does he get on with it.. does he waffle on more than he teaches.... does he do exercises in the corner after setting everyone else away not really paying attention. Does he know what he's talking about... does he concentrate on his own teaching or does he spend half the time moaning on about how him doen the road always gets it wrong.

2) What are the students like... are they a well balanced understanding bunch who gell together... do you find you need to know the pural to psycopath.... are they telling you constantly how great this system is compares to every other...

3) Are the lessons challenging and rewarding....

Basically it doesn't matter what style you do but if you have a good instructor, a good bunch to train with and good lesson content then that's all you could want a need.

Of course it would be better if each lesson took self defence seriously but alas those days have gone. The vast majority of people I trained with in capoeira karate and Aikido couldn't give a chuff about defending themselves, which is what sent me off to RBSD lessons in the first place.

So that being said if a friend wants to do self defence and they're not in a job where it should be a neccecity I would say pick a well known name.... Dave here or John Skillen or Mick Coup Dennis Martain... they all do weekend courses.... just do one of thsoe every couple of months....

Stick to the good names and you know its good stuff... after that its just finding a style that suits you... which how I ended up driving to fecking Loughborough once a month...
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 am

[quote="GOVINDA"][quote="rezbi"]
GOVINDA wrote:
Lol, thats my point, there is none,

Hence why I said, "IF there was an ultimate system, what would that consist of for you?"

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:51 am

Chris wrote:
All I can say, and keep repeating is that I love anyone who steps on the mat and trains. I respect them all no matter who they are. I absolutely loathe those who prey on the weak and insecure to sell a product which will more than likely ensure their demise rather than their success.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all pool our resources/knowledge and come up with something? Something that meets the needs of everyone?

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but who knows what could happen if we gave it a go.

I know my own classes are quite brutal. In the sense that it's very real.

I had some people come around - a boxer, a bodybuilder, and some other guys who think they're tough nuts. All in their late teens, 20s and 30s.

I had two of my students demonstrate for them: A 17 year old and an 18 year old.

After watching some of it, they all left. Never to come back.

One of my students told me after that they thought it was too rough. They were scared off.

But I'll tell you what? Those two boys can really handle themselves.

The 17 year beat the living daylights out of a local nightclub bouncer who was reputedly a tough guy.

Now, I don't know what anyone else thinks of that, but I'd say it's pretty effective.

Last edited by rezbi on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 pm

[quote="rezbi"][quote="GOVINDA"]
rezbi wrote:
GOVINDA wrote:
Lol, thats my point, there is none,

Hence why I said, "IF there was an ultimate system, what would that consist of for you?"

Thanks for bolding the If for me, no need though, I already saw it Wink
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 am

GOVINDA wrote: bolding the If

Is it just me,or does the above phrase sound somewhat deep and mystical? Suspect
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:16 am

...but back on topic

My answer would be

Minimal techniques with maximum variation of application - drilled until completely hardwired...and then drilled a whole lot more!
much emphasis on pre-fight management(not forgetting post-fight etiquette)

Aggression accessing techniques extensively covered (on/off switches,etc)

Basically a system that is (to quote Travis Pastrana describing NasCar) "so simple yet so intricately complex"

Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 am

Ade wrote:
GOVINDA wrote: bolding the If

Is it just me,or does the above phrase sound somewhat deep and mystical? Suspect

Its the title of my new set of Dvd's "Bolding the If" £59.99 at Amazon plus I'm writing a book entitled, "I'm an idiot, your an idiot" £200.00, its a trilogy, and a self help book Very Happy basically its about me and my mate Bob and how we overcame fate to beat the odds, against adversity etc etc Wink

Ps, it has naked pictures of Susan Boyle in it....
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Ade wrote:...but back on topic

My answer would be

Minimal techniques with maximum variation of application - drilled until completely hardwired...and then drilled a whole lot more!
much emphasis on pre-fight management(not forgetting post-fight etiquette)

Aggression accessing techniques extensively covered (on/off switches,etc)

Basically a system that is (to quote Travis Pastrana describing NasCar) "so simple yet so intricately complex"

Excellent.

This is exactly the type of response I was looking for.

BTW, this seems to describe Goshinkwai perfectly.

rezbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum