Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'

+2
the spaniard
Jagunco
6 posters

Go down

John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'  Empty John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'

Post  Jagunco Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Just finshed this book and can reccomend it 100%

I've been a friend to John skillen for several years now and used to attend his seminars once a month. which must say something of their quality as we live at opposite ends of the county.

I stopped for a while due to financial difficulties (bought a flat) but manage to get down now and then and finally bought his book.

He's a spot on bloke, helped me a lot over the years with my self confidence and training and the books a bloody good read, which is a lot comming from me cos I'm a norotiously snobby reader.

Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'  Empty Re: John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'

Post  the spaniard Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:45 am

I have it and its quite good,for me is like a "dark side" version of Watch my back,diferences,always fighting as a kid,problems with the law etc.
Also how he stress how important is to be fit (and to fire ALWAYS the first shot).

the spaniard

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'  Empty Re: John Skillens book 'Extra Chillie Sauce'

Post  Jagunco Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

Yes indeed he's a fit fit bloke. Seen footage of him at training doing hill sprints with his mate on his back and three clap push ups, and this was in his late 40's as well.
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 am

I'll put that on my reading list,i'm due to by a few new books soon so i'll be giving that one a try

is it on kindle?
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Don't think so mate
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve bungle Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:07 pm

good read
Steve bungle
Steve bungle

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 am

Ade wrote:I'll put that on my reading list,i'm due to by a few new books soon so i'll be giving that one a try

is it on kindle?

Yes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilli-Violence-Retribution-Success-ebook/dp/B005X9TJUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1343721200&sr=1-1

Good book!
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:18 am

It's a very good read, and John Skillen comes across well. Despite his (at time gratuitous) violence when young, you never get the impression that you are reading about a scociopathic thug. He emerges more and more as a decent man the further along in the story you get.

ECS is a bit like WMB, but without any lengthy discourses on the feelings of fear before/during/after violence that GT wrote about quite extensively. That's not a knock on either book. It just a difference which highlights the respective, and differing, mindsets of the authors when they were "doing the business" as it were. That said, Skillen doesn't come across as a fearless meathead, far from it. There is just a bit less emphasis on the fear aspect.

It is a very useful book and contains a lot of good information on line-ups, the psychology of fighting, fear/adrenal control ect. As someone has already said, he really emphasizes the importance of hard training, being in shape, and being first.

There are A LOT of fight stories, far more than in WMB, but Geoff goes into more detail in his descriptions. Especially on how he felt. Skillen's descriptions tend to be shorter, although you still get a good flavour for the scene when you are reading.

A good read, and not just another "hard man" book.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum