Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free classes ?

+9
roadkill
Mr Nobody
BN
Ade
Peter
Ace Ventura
David Turton
Nick Hughes
GOVINDA
13 posters

Go down

Free classes ? Empty Free classes ?

Post  GOVINDA Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 am

Does anyone else teach for free here, do you get funding ?

Assuming you did teach free, would you be ridiculed by those who don't in the same area's, IE teaching the same as other RBSD systems.

What would be the pitfalls going in this direction, your opinions please,

Gov.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Free classes ? Empty Re: Free classes ?

Post  Nick Hughes Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am

You won't get many students...and if you do, they won't be - for the most part - worth a damn.

Here's your problem, if you don't think your knowledge is worth anything, why should anyone else?

Perceived value is critical and you should always be paid accordingly for the value you bring to the market place.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Sat May 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:You won't get many students...and if you do, they won't be - for the most part - worth a damn.

Here's your problem, if you don't think your knowledge is worth anything, why should anyone else?

Perceived value is critical and you should always be paid accordingly for the value you bring to the market place.

Nick

Thanks Nick, not sure if I agree with the "not worth a damn" bit, seems elitist, but I see your point.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Not really mate...just based on experience over the years of bumping into people who are looking for cheap and free stuff. They tend to have no appreciation of quality. It really is (over and over again this has proven true in my life) a question of "you get what you pay for."

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 am

I totally agree with Nick.. Ihave done this in the past, and made my time available for people who then couldnt be bothered to commit etc

I have spent 52 years in the game and if people want my knowledge and experieince, I want paying for it... not extortianate, but as a professional.

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Mon May 28, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks Nick, Dave, great answers and taken on board Cool
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 am

I have offered many free classes and unfortunatley, Nick and Dave are right. People don't take them seriously.

It sems unfortunate but it also seems to be the nature of the beast.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 am

There is a free gym on the industrial estate I have premises on, he is funded by some grant or other.

The guy running the place was assuring me he would have people in the UFC in a matter of months.

After the initial rush of attendance he never seems to be open now and his two instructors have given up and gone.

His fitness classes seem to have pretty much ended too.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, makes perfect sense, plus my stuff is good so why sell myself short I guess Very Happy
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon May 28, 2012 9:07 am

Ace Ventura wrote:I have offered many free classes and unfortunatley, Nick and Dave are right. People don't take them seriously.

Ditto
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 am

Nothing new to add here,

If you are providing a service, you have the right to be paid for what you bring to the table. A good deal of people are stupid, and will not append any real value to free classes. Make something too easy for people, and they won't want it.
Also, by giving free classes, it almost seems as if you aren't attaching value to what you are providing.

As has been said, you get what you pay for.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm

If you're providing expert tuition you charge for it. Simple as that really.

cat "meow"
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 am

Ade wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I have offered many free classes and unfortunatley, Nick and Dave are right. People don't take them seriously.

Ditto

Little late... but Ditto ditto
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 am

If you want to build a group, you might want to think about offering heavily discounted classes to the first students. It is easier to charge the full price if people walk in and see other students doing amazing things all around them.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 am

First Class is free at our place, rest of the time you pay.

I keep the price very low for the lads because they have shown themselves to be loyal and at the end of the day I am not in it to make a profit. As long as we cover expenses for hall hire I am happy.

I have also given courses for free to gyms and colleges that gave me a good price on hall hire. Just the one mind and the expense never outweighed the saving I got from hall rental.

Depends what you are in the game for I suppose. If I wanted to make money I would be doing a lot of stuff I didn't enjoy just to bring additional cash in. That's the nature of small business I suppose. As it stands I can train how I want, what I want and I can use the time to give people what they need rather than just what they are prepared to pay for.

There's a lot of money been made from martial arts over the years, very few of the guys who have made good money would be on my list of guys I have respect for as teachers, martial artists or indeed human beings.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Thu May 31, 2012 3:45 am

Chris wrote:
There's a lot of money been made from martial arts over the years, very few of the guys who have made good money would be on my list of guys I have respect for as teachers, martial artists or indeed human beings.

Could not agree more.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:09 pm

gave free anti-rape classes to women. full classes. Gave free courses to 3 under-privileged youths. one with learning difficulties. neither the women nor youths followed up with paying classes. though all were 'inspired' enough to want to initially.

It can be a bit of a challenge to draw a fine line between wanting to help folks and what's in the best interest for what you teach.

In Reiki it's taught as standard to charge. folks do assume value on the price of something. or lack of it. I've only found one person, a young woman (who is now setting up classes for me in her city) who has showed any worth with regard to free training. though that's not really free tbh, since she's doing all the groundwork.

warmest wishes

Wayne
Wayne Harrison
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:48 pm

I considered doing cheap classes once. It was for a student union and I was told on no uncertain terms if they didn't get a student discount they wouldn't bother doing it, which irked me.

When I ran classes in this area I always tried to do it at lowish prices and I'm not sure if poor attendance was due to that or the fact that this area is always a tough venue to start anything new (unles its to do with women losing weight). I'm inclined to believe the latter.

If I did any thing in town (newcastle) I would never charge anythign less than a fiver though as that's the going rate
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Jagunco wrote:I considered doing cheap classes once. It was for a student union and I was told on no uncertain terms if they didn't get a student discount they wouldn't bother doing it, which irked me.

When I ran classes in this area I always tried to do it at lowish prices and I'm not sure if poor attendance was due to that or the fact that this area is always a tough venue to start anything new (unles its to do with women losing weight). I'm inclined to believe the latter.

If I did any thing in town (newcastle) I would never charge anythign less than a fiver though as that's the going rate

LOL funny you should say that but the only interest I have had really is women, wanting to lose weight, didn't go for free after all though, but its not working out so fuck em.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 am

not ot stray from the main point but there is a lot, certainly not all but a lot, of men and women who are wanting to get fit and look good but don't actually seem to realize that it needs sweat.

That's one of the things I find irksome about these faddy things like Zumba and what have you, though its a bit hypocritical of my because they are exactly like marital arts in that area: you can give it 110% and get results or you can give it 50% and congratulate yourself on a twice weekly basis
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum