Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rotator cuffs

4 posters

Go down

Rotator cuffs Empty Rotator cuffs

Post  Fraze Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Nick

I saw in another thread you mentioned damaging rotator cuffs. I did the same to mine with rock climbing and kettlebell work. Fixed it up and then damaged it again getting stuck into the pads before properly warmed up.

How are you managing it? I got some resistance band exercises from a physio but it feels like it's going to be an ongoing thing now.

cheers

Fraze

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Rotator cuffs Empty Re: Rotator cuffs

Post  Ade Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm not Nick,although i could pass for a shorter and far more attractive version of him,so i'll butt in anyway...

How badly damaged were your cuffs Fraze? Has the physio got you doing inward and outward rotations with the bands? What other exercises?

cheers Smile
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Mate,

I was stunned when my Dr told me it was partially torn and there was nothing to do but wait till it completely tears...that was eight years ago. Sad

I have the band and I work them a lot on both inwards and outwards especially before heading to the gym (somewhere I haven't been in a while due to other commitments sadly) which tends to help a lot.

The other thing that will help is learning your limitations when it comes to physical things. I can do lateral raises, bent over raises and upright rows for example but any pressing overhead or wide grip bench is agony so I just avoid them.

Welcome to getting old...it's not for the weak. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:48 am

Just to echo what Nick and Ade have both said. Once the cuff is damaged then it is never the same again. In my opinion. It remains liable to further damage and it's a screaming b*stard to heal.

The length of time you spend waiting for your shoulder to be "right" again becomes prohibitive. You have to be VERY carefuly and as Nick says, know your new limitations.

On the plus side, in extremis you can still operate with a torn rotator cuff. It will just make you pay for the effort later. I can live with that. Very Happy
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraze Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Bloody hell, what a bunch of old wrecks we are! Laughing

Ade - the physio said I had a partial tear to the infraspinatus which I think is the one near the lat. I've got inward and outward rotations with bands and a rotation where you hold your arm out to the side so the elbow is level with the shoulder, then you hold the band and your arm starts in upright position pointing at the ceiling and rotate it so it is pointing at the wall straight ahead. Another thing I had was a winged scapula so I do those scapula dip pushups and have to remember to push my scapula down by activating the muscle below the traps (rhombus or rhomboid?)

The amount of work the physios give you though, they must think you've got nothing else to do all day. I partially tore my hamstring at the same time but that's fine now. I just stretch that a lot more after running or kettlebell swings. The shoulder's tougher to manage as you are never quite sure if you are stretching it in a good way or a bad way.

I guess I'll just have to use my left for poking people in the eye from now on and rely on the right for the heavy work. Bit of a bummer as it puts a crimp in overhead presses and doesn't bode well for pullups either.

Fraze

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum