Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Systema Open Hand Slaps Work

4 posters

Go down

Systema Open Hand Slaps Work Empty Systema Open Hand Slaps Work

Post  Perry Gamsby Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't know if the slapper is Systema trained but the knockout blows are both open hand slaps that look similar to those used by Systema adepts. You can see the way the slapper looks down and stands slightly side on to the doorman that he is going to hit him. The doorman was too cocky and complacent and didn't pick up the signs. Of course, would any of us? I like to think I would have but I wouldn't have positioned myself with my back to a railing over a drop like that. Perry
Perry Gamsby
Perry Gamsby

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://www.perrygamsby.com

Back to top Go down

Systema Open Hand Slaps Work Empty Re: Systema Open Hand Slaps Work

Post  theodore Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 am

It's just a slap? nothing to do with thar russian nonesense.

theodore

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2006-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Average Dude Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:29 am

The systema guys have no prerogative on slapping, in fact many systems teach slapping, for example pekiti tirsia kali uses slaps exclusively (unlike systema).

The slap here in the clip is propably exactly that - a slap. Nothing fancy.
Average Dude
Average Dude

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 am

I only mention Systema because they have had some controversial press of late and the dialogue in the clip sounds Russian. No argument open hand slaps and such are used by many styles. Any comment on the effectiveness of these blows as demonstrated here?
Perry
Perry Gamsby
Perry Gamsby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 am

WTF was that all about? I'm not sure either way to the authenticity so I'm leery to comment on the effectiveness. I tried to slow it down to I could see the blow connect and I sort of heard a little slap. I dunno. I'm going to err that its possible these two clowns came out of a disco to sort something out and a mate followed with a phone.

Okok... he took a little stance I noticed before the slap and he looked a bit tense on the stike, which isn't a comment on its effectiveness but I was led to believe that systema was a veeery relaxed art.

The first one didn't put the big guy out, though I think they were both lucky that railing was there or I think he would of went head first and rack up a GBH or Manslaughter charge for his mate.

Nevertheless he was still a little bit there and the second slap came in and finished the job, he was out before he hit the deck.

I note a couple of thins about the technique a this point. The striker doesn't mind being very close, a lot of people would of went for a shove or a grapple at this point. Also his blows aren't rushed at all, noticed he takes the time to change his footwork. The dig in the ribs was a bit ott, though he didn't put a great deal into it, it was actually the kick that led me to believe it was a fake, had to watch it a few times to see if he put any power into it.

I'm going to go with he's done some RBSD or Filipino stuff. I would say just Filipino but it was a strange distance and he didn't make one move to alter it for a harder hit, which hints to me RBSD.

ON a final note.... WTF, they just decided they didn't like each other? There was no shouting, they didn't just burst out of some club, neither looked pissed up. Could it be that the little bloke had little man syndrome? I would rather like to know what they were saying.

I miss anything?
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:24 pm

I read it a little differently. I felt perhaps the slapper was denied entry and the slappee was on the door. He lets his guard down and gets lazy and pays for it. His body language is that he thinks he is in control and there is no threat. The slapper does seem semi-relaxed, at least he is not agitated and fidgety or tense as an iron bar.

These strikes that require being relaxed to work best (remember the short range punch debate?) are fine for those who are in control of themselves and the situation but not if you are tense and worried. I think if you are that relaxed because you believe you have it all under your control, anything you do will work just as well. Being able to relax sufficiently to make these work under pressure in real life is the tricky bit.

I would imagine the slapper to have possibly done his military service, maybe even still serving. He is fit and determined and not shy of getting stuck in. Is he drunk? Is he drugged up? That might explain the relaxed side of things. I too would love a translation of the dialogue.

Perry Gamsby
Perry Gamsby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 am

Actually the denied entry bit makes a little sense as the bloke pointed at his shoes ans I was wondering what that was all about, he might of used it as an excuse, its a funny stance to take if you're barring someone though and he wasn't exactly dressed to the nines
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum