Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

switching off

5 posters

Go down

switching off Empty switching off

Post  Ade Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 pm

hi Dave,

i've never had trouble switching aggression on in a real go,but i find that switching off is a problem.
the aggression seems to just stay active and for a while after the "action" i can't talk to anyone or think clearly.i just stay in snarling dog mode.this has caused further "problems" in the past.

any advice on finding my off switch mate?

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

switching off Empty Re: switching off

Post  Dave Turton Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:20 pm

This is one of the more important aspects of aggression control..

its a lot easier to demonstrate than explain but here goes..

before you can switch anything OFF, you have to switch it ON

so you need to replicate the feeling in training of something that works or worked you up..

bring it to your mind whilst facing the bag.. kick in your 'trigger' and demolish the bag.. then after a set 'count' turn AWAY from the bag (thus eliminating contact).. look to the floor and exhale by blowing the breath out and 'pushing' the palms of the hands down as well...
imagine in your minds eye that your anger is being released..

now obviously you cant do these moves in a real go or else you might get jumped or something, but what it will do is programme the mind to switching off..

sorry if the explanation doesnt come off well.. but I hope the basics are there

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:26 am

thanks Dave,that's just the kind of thing i was looking for.

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul J Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:30 am

Interesting stuff this. When I spoke to Karl the other day about the doors etc, he did get onto this, and said it was pretty hard to switch off after a real situation.

As you say it's obviously different from the dojo, but after working/studying this aspect of aggression for a reasonable amount of time, how much of a difference would you expect it to make when things have kicjed off for real? And is it something that you would study for the sake of your own mental health, or is it just to make sure you don't flip out and keep attacking after you have eliminated the threat?

Hope that makes sense!

Paul

Paul J

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2006-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:10 am

Paul J wrote:Interesting stuff this. When I spoke to Karl the other day about the doors etc, he did get onto this, and said it was pretty hard to switch off after a real situation.

agreed.i've found there is a massive difference between "dojo aggression" and "real aggression".

for me,dojo aggression is "summoned" and easy to control whereas real aggression is more like opening a box and letting it out.i find it overwhelming and hard to put back in the box.similar in a way to "beserker".(i don't like it,it scares me)

just my thoughts...

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 am

I once asked Jamie O'Keefe about this and he said something similar to Karl.. he found it hard to switch OFF, but not switch Half-OFF..

by this he meant he could still be in an aggressive mode but controlled enough so he didnt punch his own brother or something if asked "Are you OK?" after a bit of bother..

Take an analogy..

If you have the worst ever officially most painful tootache any human being has experienced, and take a tablet and get rid of 50% of that pain.. you feel so much better but are still in pain...

now take an aggression level of say 80 out of 100.. you finish the physical bit and your training allow you to reduce your aggression levels by 50%.. so now you 'only' have an aggression level of 40 out of 100.. still aggression, but less so, and as such more easily 'controlled'

hope that makes sense

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi Dave,

Slightly off topic but i'll ask anyway.

Do you have any tips for controlling the physical effects of adrenalin?

Basically today I was on foot for hours viewing houses with a girl in Longsight, Hulme and Moss side with adrenalin trickling through me the whole time. Some people weren't friendly when they heard the accent.

Back in civilisation a waiter annoyed me triggering a huge adrenal dump. At which point I was too tired to be anything other than wobbly legged with blurred vision thinking I might black out for the next 20 minutes.

Unused adrenalin does funny things scratch

3 solutions:
Stamp on anyone who triggers me,
stop triggering dumps within myself,
controlling the effects.

I was hoping you may be able to help with the latter. I know it's about externalisation but other than focussing on breathing or counting I'm stumped.

I don't like Manchester, it's stressful Evil or Very Mad

Jan

Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean M Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 am

"I don't like Manchester, it's stressful "

That's how us Mancs feel about Liverpool!

Cheshire is definitely easier. Cool
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down