Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDF Ramblings

3 posters

Go down

SDF Ramblings Empty SDF Ramblings

Post  MJD Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:45 pm

On Tuesday night we were playing around with scenario drills. Can't speak for other people's experience but my own might illustrate some of the things SDF is about.

We did some 2 vs 2-man drills, some 'walking down the street and getting jumped' and some from seated position. In the former case I'll treasure Chris' look of unease at what he thought I was about to do. Bascially I knocked my assailant down fairly quickly and instead of looking for continuation (his feet were to me), I ran over to where my 'mate' was battling his 'attacker' on the deck and went to kick the attacker (Chris) in the noggin. My reasoning was instead of us both having to win, I'd made a moment to gang up on one guy. After I'd stomped Chris we could both gang up on Sayid if he was daft enough to come back for more. Made sense to me.

The 2-vs-1 drill was interesting. I seem to recall I battled both for a bit, trying to keep them lined up and in one another's way. I finally managed to get one of them (Sayid) out of it for a moment and went for the other (Pricey). I know I ate at least two big shots to the head at some point. I ended up with my back to Sayid and Pricey wrestling with me... at which point something odd happened.

I got rid of Sayid with, God help me, an actual back kick. As he did the moonwalk away from me (he ran onto it a bit) I picked Pricey up by one leg and the ribs to my chest height (all 2ft 6 of it) and threw him on the floor. That pretty much ended it.

22 years of martial arts and I've reached the point where I can pick someone up and throw him on the deck. I'm so impressed...

But seriously... this is what I've got from my time with the SDF (5 years now I think!) ... I can mix back kicks with wrestling-type dumps as the opportunity presents itself. Both worked great; both were there when the oportunity appeared. I was able to pick the right thing to do and do it despite heavy blows to the noggin.

That's (for me) one of the little hidden things in training. Not the techniques; anyone can learn techniques. The ability to decide what to do and execute it under fire is a tougher thing entirely. Not long ago I couldn't have done that.
MJD
MJD

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

SDF Ramblings Empty Re: SDF Ramblings

Post  Dave Turton Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Stu Cutty, Chris Wilson and My time aint been wasted Martin

nice one

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:09 am

I enjoy those sessions. Afterwards.

You can know all the theory in the world, practice until you look like Bruce Lee but if you can't do it while you are being punched in the head then you can't do it at all.

I just wish some people would stop trying to throw me out of upper floor windows. That does not constitute a reasonable defence. Very Happy
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  MJD Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 am

I know what you mean. The middle window has a 'do not open' sign on it. We should change it to 'do not throw the little guys out of this window'...
MJD
MJD

Back to top Go down

Post  MJD Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Before I joined the SDF I'd only been knocked out once.

It's still the best of the lot - a kick to the head while I was standing, of all things - and no that's not a challenge. But Ive been switched off a few times since... probably the most upsettiing sensation in the world is recovering consciousness still on your feet, more or less, with someone beating on you.

I mean... I was unconscious... you'd think I'd have the sense to fall down...!
MJD
MJD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum