Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy Bag Work-Out

4 posters

Go down

Heavy Bag Work-Out Empty Heavy Bag Work-Out

Post  Baloo Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:40 am

Hi Dave,

I'm now 5 months into my 6 month recuperation period from a shoulder stabilisation operation, and I'm looking at going back to training in the next 6 weeks or so (at the Batley Bashers with Neil Hall - can't wait! Smile )

I recently got myself a heavy bag with a view to a) starting to work on striking again and kind of testing out the shoulder and b) working on improving my cardio fitness.

Any tips as to how you would formulate a workout that can be done in the garage with just gloves and the bag and some music!?

Cheers,
Chris Webb

Baloo

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Back to top Go down

Heavy Bag Work-Out Empty Re: Heavy Bag Work-Out

Post  Sea Bass Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 am

Hey Baloo,
Try doing rounds. Hit the bag for 3 minutes and than rest for 1 minute. Do as many as you can. While you are hitting the bag visualize that you are in a fight and that should give you a pretty good work out.
Sea Bass
Sea Bass

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.myspace.com/asphaltcombatives

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:23 am

I like to go in 'flurries' say 5-8 punch combinations, then TURN AWAY from the bag, and have to turn in and re-focus again. this also make syou have to re-target thus adjust your distance again etc.. then a massive all out flurry, then away again

by the way Chris.. Neil Hall is one of the very best at his trade.. great club, and Neil has been in there in the dark side when he did all those years on some of the roughest doors in the West Yorks areas

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Baloo Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:14 am

Cheers for the advice gents - I'll give it a go.

Dave - couldn't agree with you more re Neil. I trained under him for about a year before I had to have the shoulder op (you pointed me in his direction a while ago), and not only is he a top instructor, but he's a really good bloke. It's a great club to train at, and I really am looking forward to going back to training. bounce Razz

Cheers again.

Baloo

Back to top Go down

Post  Baloo Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:15 am

Cheers for the advice gents - I'll give it a go.

Dave - couldn't agree with you more re Neil. I trained under him for about a year before I had to have the shoulder op (you pointed me in his direction a while ago), and not only is he a top instructor, but he's a really good bloke. It's a great club to train at, and I really am looking forward to going back to training. bounce Razz

Cheers again.

Baloo

Back to top Go down

Post  John B Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi Baloo

Neil is a fantastic teacher & practitioner. I trained with Neil a bit back when his club was opposite the nightclub, above the car place. I too had to quit due to a recurring injury & haven't managed to get back into training thanks to new family commitments.

I would like to get back in training however. Do you know where Neil teaches these days? He is not at the old location & the website doesn't seem to work.

There is another SDF guy in the Leeds area called John hands, who I think also teaches some of the Paul Vunak inspired JKD stuff, but I can't seem to get a fix on his club either!!

Take care
John B
John B

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi

Neil is in TINGLEY now mate..

Not sure about his website, but I'll PM you his phone number..

I spent some very happy hours at his old club over the motor museum opposite 'Legends'
Neil is one of my fave guys

John Hands used to train with Neil under me, and also worked the doors.. he joined the SDF about a year ago, after being out of it for about 3-4 years.. sadly he hasnt renewed and I havent heard much from him, although he did promise a fair bit..

anyway I will now PM you Neil's mobile number

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Baloo Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 am

John B - I think (although I haven't seen Neil since my operation) that he's moved from his old website - www.fightingchancemma.com - and taken a MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/fightingchancemma

Also, Dave - when you say he's in Tingley, are you talking about the outbuilding by the golf course? I hope so, 'cos I was gonna pop in tomorrow night to say Hi and to let him know I'm on my way back..!!

Smile

Baloo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:56 am

yeah .. thats the one . .the coverted barn.. ok club that one

Dave Turton