Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunched shoulders

2 posters

Go down

Hunched shoulders Empty Hunched shoulders

Post  pmatt Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey Lee,

When I watch you carry out a lot of techniques I notice before you do them you hunch your shoulders forward. I think (if I can remember correctly) you did this when doing a fence too.

I noticed when looking through a handout that a lot of the illustrations, which I'm guessing are from the books such as 'get tough', the people in them hunch their shoulders foward also. Is this where you got this from?

Is there a reason for the hunch? I imagine it may make a more solid structure to strike with. It does also look more intimidating.

Hope you dont think I'm being rude I'm just curious and Im interested.

Cheers Lee,

Matt.

pmatt

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-03-03

Back to top Go down

Hunched shoulders Empty Re: Hunched shoulders

Post  Lee Morrison Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:12 am

The lazy kind of posture you talk about is all part of the predatory physiology. It is some what of a habit for me, like I said lazy posture, but Marcus Wynne once pointed it out to me as part of the preditory profile. In other words this kind of physiology wants to go forward and through the subject, in the same vein it is also quite relaxed, which is of course how you should be if you want to manifest immediate violence in a direct, explosive sense. We all know that tensing up puts the brakes on our speed, but for me I think it is a combination of my body wanting to blast forward and take you apart if I'm in a Combative frame of mind along with being a little lazy and I tend to only be Military straight if I consciously think about it... Good question
take care

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Morrison Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:13 am

P.s
of course you look fetching in your suit, I was just messing with ya! Laughing

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  pmatt Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:42 am

That's interesting Lee I'd never thought of that concept. I think I can imagine how that stance would help explosiveness, and at the same time moving the front foot and 'dropping weight'. I don't think ive ever met anyone who stands like that before. I think it looks good, and from a self-protection viewpoint I think it looks more intimidating in some ways, but it also perhaps would put an attacker off guard from an attack which may usually come from a big puffed out chest kind of thing.

Thanks for the quick reply Lee! That was interesting and has informed me, I will start taking this into account.

P.S. Don't tell me you dont love the black and white touch Laughing

pmatt

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:04 am

pmatt wrote:I don't think ive ever met anyone who stands like that before.

If you get the chance, check out some of Robbie Lawler's UFC/WEC clips on youtube. Sometimes he fights from a hunched/forward drive stance, similar to Lee's.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum