Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest MAI issue!

5 posters

Go down

Latest MAI issue! Empty Latest MAI issue!

Post  si5 Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:59 am

Hi Dave
Ive just read your latest reply in MAI in regards to Bruce Lee.
Now without sounding like a suck up I must say I agree (his films are boring Jackie Chans are better). Jeet Kune Do does have some MAJOR limitations (and to be honest a lot of the practitioners Ive spoke to act like they are in some cult!)

My point is I wont be buying this magazine anymore, apart form continous attacks on yourself, I am dismayed by the latest womens self defence article that actually advocates a high roundhouse kick (it was written by emil martial arts) along with wristlocks!!!!!
Im aware this mag has a track record of this type of thing but we are in the 21st century and I also think there is a duty of care aspect when promoting ANY physical techniques.

I know its nothing to do with you mate but thought it was relevant to post my thoughts here due to the fact its this publication leading the way on attacks on your (and indeed myself as an SDF member - to a lesser degree) character.

MAI new logo, new look - one less reader
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

Latest MAI issue! Empty Re: Latest MAI issue!

Post  Dave Turton Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Strange thing is mate, you are NOT the first person to comment in exactly the same way..

I get the mag sent to me.. so no costs

but Yes.. I get sniped at regularly.. I have had this since my very first article in 1975... so my skin is getting a bit 'thick'.. but its still isnt pleasant.

The women's thing is shite .. oh dear.

well we can go two ways.. do as you have done and say bollocks to it all.. which I must admit I HAVE felt like once or twice as far as MAI goes..

OR .. Bob Sykes owes me big style.. so maybe I might shake a few more feathers and write a couple of articles myself.. saying it like it is

thanks for your support.. it really is genuinely appreciated Si

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Regarding your first article in 1975 (incidentally that was the year I was born Wink ) is there a chance that you still have the article and if you could post the Gist of it (or all of it if you have a bit of time-unlikley I know mate).
It would be a nice bit of History and still better than the majority of crap out there im willing to bet Very Happy
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  ManchesterBudo Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:45 pm

I am dismayed by the latest womens self defence article that actually advocates a high roundhouse kick (it was written by emil martial arts) along with wristlocks!!!!!
Im aware this mag has a track record of this type of thing but we are in the 21st century and I also think there is a duty of care aspect when promoting ANY physical techniques.
Havnt read the isue in question but I couldnt agree more with your sentiments. Youd think a magazine like that would choose its wording very carefully when suggesting techniques under the guise of self defense.

Im curious have you ever seen them label techniques as "self protection"??

I seem to bring this up over and over again but I do feel that there is a set of stereotypical self defense moves now and wrist locks play a large part of that. To advertise a class as self defense and then teach self protection/ combatives Im starting to think is equally misrepresentative.

Thoughts?
ManchesterBudo
ManchesterBudo

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.geocities.com/manchesterbudo/

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:58 pm

Mate
you know my thoughts on 'false advertising'
I reckon there should be some sort of national qualification before you can teach self defence/protection (not martial arts-way to difficult).
Obviously it would be nice if you could use existing quals to aid in gaining the recognition (NVQ or whatever), but I know its unlikley and many will not agree with me due to the facts like 'who is to say who can teach' etc.

But I think its a good idea, and obviously SDF and BCA should be recognised immediatley!

I really think that if your teaching these techniques (especially to women-and m not being condescending) you should have to be accredited natinally.
Being an instructor with the SDF or BCA or trained under Lee Morrison, Mick Coup or any of the others from this forum is obviously the way forward but to the public that knowledge is not obvious.

If we had to be nationally recognised then it would stop all the bad instructors teaching taekwondo as SD as they would have to follow strict guidleines.

I know many of you will not agree, and its just a thought (and very unlikely) but in an ideal world its what i would want!

we are responsible for teaching people physical techniques and in the days of legislation that we are in im very surprised a national qualification is not needed. with natinal recognition we could get more students through the door and our reputations and public profile would be raised.
si5
si5

Back to top Go down

Post  dik Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:07 pm

I must admit, I sometimes buy MAI.

But I point blank refused to buy it last month due to the 'women's self defence' article. And it sounds like I'll be doing the same this month.

We've had discussions on this forum about the best female SP instructors in the UK.

People like Debi Stevens, Liz Clark, my other half Louise Reeve (only lady bulletman in the world who regularly gets beaten to a pulp in the suit helping women get some great SP training).

How they can put out that sort of stuff begars belief. There are many great women instructors and practicioners out there. It would not be difficult to find them.

Still, I'm going to put the energy that I'm wasting in this rant to something more positive.......

Dik
dik
dik

Number of posts : 281

http://www.fastdefence.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:37 am

I learn't a long time ago, buy "Fast Bikes" magazine instead. It's much better than MAI and not full of sh*t Cool
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  dik Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 am

I love FB. I as also partial to PB too.

Dik
dik
dik

Number of posts : 281

http://www.fastdefence.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum